Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a VIN assigned tonight. I had an EDD of 1/8 - 2/5 and when I called Tesla they said there were notes on my account to not match before January. I am going to reach out to my SA tomorrow and see what we can do. Super frustrating to potentially miss out on this credit being weeks away.
Who said the tax credit is weeks away? It looks like it will be months away (if it passes, and that's a big if).

Ordered originally around June and had a vin assigned November time asked for a hold, talked to the guy asking about the automated email I received about my order being cancelled if I delay or put on hold again by dec 9th. He told me that is what I have to follow if I don't want my Order to be cancelled. Asked about this line in the order agreement, "For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee. " I asked when this date would be and he said when the Vin was assigned, I asked well wouldn't I have 3 months from then and then he talked about my order was placed in May. So, I'm pretty sure I'll place the order tomorrow..... Not sure How I feel about this since I would argue this goes against their order agreement. Any thoughts?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Ordered originally around June and had a vin assigned November time asked for a hold, talked to the guy asking about the automated email I received about my order being cancelled if I delay or put on hold again by dec 9th. He told me that is what I have to follow if I don't want my Order to be cancelled. Asked about this line in the order agreement, "For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee. " I asked when this date would be and he said when the Vin was assigned, I asked well wouldn't I have 3 months from then and then he talked about my order was placed in May. So, I'm pretty sure I'll place the order tomorrow..... Not sure How I feel about this since I would argue this goes against their order agreement. Any thoughts?
In the same position as you, and I'm going to lift the hold tomorrow. The potential for my order to be cancelled worries me more than missing out on a tax rebate (presuming that's the reason for your hold).

Not sure it's worth trying to argue with Tesla after the fact about the terms in the order agreement.

Reactions: mwdietertg
There is no guarantee that you order would not be canceled no matter what your SA promised. The cancellation may be from a computer programming. Once cancelled, there is no way to restore the order with your old price..

The fulfilment date of your order depends on your initial order date. Some one reported that the estimated date is January to February after they click the "ready button"

Reactions: Ogre and voxel
Total dick move.
I love a good discount as much as anyone else, but I genuinely think the tax credit makes absolutely no sense. There's not a demand problem with EVs - they're all supply constrained. The only thing this tax credit will do is drive up the price by several thousand across the board (due to even more demand), completely negating the benefit in the first place.

I love a good discount as much as anyone else, but I genuinely think the tax credit makes absolutely no sense. There's not a demand problem with EVs - they're all supply constrained. The only thing this tax credit will do is drive up the price by several thousand across the board (due to even more demand), completely negating the benefit in the first place.
Is this forum pretty much moot at this point due to elon's comments?
Any likelihood Tesla will still be included if the bill is ever passed?

As if lawmakers listen to Elon? They won’t even recognize he has influence on this industry.
Agreed.
Lawmakers listen to MONEY. That doesn't come from Elon except as taxes. And he claims he's at a 53% marginal tax rate....
(a lot of it goes FROM them TO Elon, for things like the expired subsidies, rockets, and soon, Starlink satellite communications for the DoD)

Agreed.
Lawmakers listen to MONEY. That doesn't come from Elon except as taxes. And he claims he's at a 53% marginal tax rate....
(a lot of it goes FROM them TO Elon, for things like the expired subsidies, rockets, and soon, Starlink satellite communications for the DoD)
The 53% marginal rate is a bit of an illusion. It is 100% true, but not remotely reflective of the impact taxes have had on his wealth.

Musk’s net worth increased $270 billion in the past 10 years. He has not paid $135 billion in taxes. He has paid a few tens of billions.

Just an observation; I’m not suggesting he should be taxed more (or less). Just that tax rates are a poor metric in this case.

Reactions: advocate8
The 53% marginal rate is a bit of an illusion. It is 100% true, but not remotely reflective of the impact taxes have had on his wealth.

Musk’s net worth increased $270 billion in the past 10 years. He has not paid $135 billion in taxes. He has paid a few tens of billions.

Just an observation; I’m not suggesting he should be taxed more (or less). Just that tax rates are a poor metric in this case.
Marginal tax rate is the tax percentage paid on his income at it's margin, or increment. It's not an illusion, but a working approximation.
He's paying 53% on every incremental dollar declared as income and after adjustments for deductions, amortizations, etc, which are likely substantial in his case.
That's very different than any consideration of growth in net worth, which isn't taxed until transferred/sold/etc that defines market time/value (as it should be).
Your analogy doesn't hold.

Reactions: mwdietertg
Marginal tax rate is the tax percentage paid on his income at it's margin, or increment. It's not an illusion, but a working approximation.
He's paying 53% on every incremental dollar declared as income and after adjustments for deductions, amortizations, etc, which are likely substantial in his case.
That's very different than any consideration of growth in net worth, which isn't taxed until transferred/sold/etc that defines market time/value (as it should be).
Your analogy doesn't hold.
It’s not an “analogy”, it is quite literal.

Using “Income” as a metric doesn’t make sense when people‘s primary means of accumulating wealth is investment.

It’s like Steve Jobs talking about his $1 salary. It is 100% true, but does not reflect what he actually makes from Apple.

It’s not an “analogy”, it is quite literal.

Using “Income” as a metric doesn’t make sense when people‘s primary means of accumulating wealth is investment.

It’s like Steve Jobs talking about his $1 salary. It is 100% true, but does not reflect what he actually makes from Apple.
be serious.
how do you equitably tax assets that rise and fall in value.
Do you tax a paper gain, then credit when it's a paper loss? How do you keep track?
Do you tax gains in real estate value beyond the current levies, based on market value appreciation alone, and tax people out of their homes?
No, it's only when a gain or loss is realized can you equitably tax an asset.
I'm afraid progressives reach too far on this one.

be serious.
how do you equitably tax assets that rise and fall in value.
Do you tax a paper gain, then credit when it's a paper loss? How do you keep track?
Do you tax gains in real estate value beyond the current levies, based on market value appreciation alone, and tax people out of their homes?
No, it's only when a gain or loss is realized can you equitably tax an asset.
I'm afraid progressives reach too far on this one.

I am not suggesting anything about how this should affect taxes. And I never did. In fact I explicitly said as much in my first post.