Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love a good discount as much as anyone else, but I genuinely think the tax credit makes absolutely no sense. There's not a demand problem with EVs - they're all supply constrained. The only thing this tax credit will do is drive up the price by several thousand across the board (due to even more demand), completely negating the benefit in the first place.
INEXPENSIVE EVs most def are supply constrained.

Reactions: mwdietertg
If Tesla unilaterally cancels my reservation, how can they keep the $100 reservation payment? Does anyone have the appropriate wording from the agreement?
I don't think they can, unless they stretch and say that you weren't ordering in good faith.

But in any case you can make them keeping your $100 very expensive for them. Just open an arbitration case; even if you lose it costs you nothing, but it costs them ~$2,000. So just by letting them know, sending the proper email to their legal team, that you want them to honor the order agreement or you will take them to arbitration will probably at a minimum get them to return your $100, if not reinstate your order.

If Tesla unilaterally cancels my reservation, how can they keep the $100 reservation payment? Does anyone have the appropriate wording from the agreement?

From Tesla Vehicle Order Agreement:

"If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee"

Reactions: ucmndd
Going to be tight when people get this on the 23rd and they have 8 days to pick up their car or have it cancelled.

Running out of days to push this out.
My thought is if they take the hold off on the 22nd, Tesla isn't going to just cancel the order when the clock strikes midnight on 12/31. If you are on hold and haven't gotten the 16th deadline email. you are almost assuredly in the clear for a 2022 delivery based on VIN->Delivery timing.

My thought is if they take the hold off on the 22nd, Tesla isn't going to just cancel the order when the clock strikes midnight on 12/31. If you are on hold and haven't gotten the 16th deadline email. you are almost assuredly in the clear for a 2022 delivery based on VIN->Delivery timing.
I'm hoping that's the case but not too sure. I just got a text from my SA asking if I could take delivery this year and that "Corporate overrode things and your order is in the cancellation queue because it is so far past the order agreement timeline".

My order still shows it's on hold until 1/1/22 and I haven't received another cancellation email asking me to take delivery. I've asked my SA for clarification and he said "I am nearly positive you will receive notification as everyone has so far. I'm watching your account closely as well. The hold is still in effect because otherwise you'd be matched to a car in the next week or so, while you are gone."

I'm tempted to just wait until I receive the email but it's complicated since I'll be out of town from 12/17-12/31. With my luck, I'll get an email 12/16 (since they seem to be sending these out weekly) and prob gets matched immediately. It sucks that I'm so close but don't think I'll be able to push to 1/1.

I love a good discount as much as anyone else, but I genuinely think the tax credit makes absolutely no sense. There's not a demand problem with EVs - they're all supply constrained. The only thing this tax credit will do is drive up the price by several thousand across the board (due to even more demand), completely negating the benefit in the first place.
Demand is high but the current issues with supply is also due to other manufacturers not ramping up or devoting enough capital towards big, bold ramp-ups in manufacturing and infrastructure to quickly ramp production up and target much larger production numbers. Credits like this will absolutely help push manufacturers to do all of the above. A lot of people seem to treat this as a 1-sided issue when there are 2 sides to supply and demand and with boosting demand, it also enables manufacturers to justify much larger infrastructure spends to ramp up manufacturing. That is the whole point of this policy.

Demand is high but the current issues with supply is also due to other manufacturers not ramping up or devoting enough capital towards big, bold ramp-ups in manufacturing and infrastructure to quickly ramp production up and target much larger production numbers. Credits like this will absolutely help push manufacturers to do all of the above. A lot of people seem to treat this as a 1-sided issue when there are 2 sides to supply and demand and with boosting demand, it also enables manufacturers to justify much larger infrastructure spends to ramp up manufacturing. That is the whole point of this policy.
I disagree. When this whole thing started (supply and demand issue), manufacturers did not ramp up the production or invest in infrastructure.
Instead, they jacked up the price even more and made higher profit margin unit they sold.

Why would they spend more money to lower the profit margin when demand is so high and making bigger profit?