Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. When this whole thing started (supply and demand issue), manufacturers did not ramp up the production or invest in infrastructure.
Instead, they jacked up the price even more and made higher profit margin unit they sold.

Why would they spend more money to lower the profit margin when demand is so high and making bigger profit?
Simple... because there is competition... If there's only one manufacturer - sure, it can do whatever it wants. But if there's competitor that is able to resolve the production issue better than you, then this other manufacturer can lower the additional markup and get people to switch to them, and simply make larger profit by selling more than you.

I disagree. When this whole thing started (supply and demand issue), manufacturers did not ramp up the production or invest in infrastructure.
Instead, they jacked up the price even more and made higher profit margin unit they sold.

Why would they spend more money to lower the profit margin when demand is so high and making bigger profit?
They would spend more money to increase their volume, if they felt competition might take their business away.
And that is what the OP is referring to. Increased incentives drive more attention to the business, bring more competitors/supply to feed demand.

It's called a virtuous circle, as compared to the vicious circle that EV's were in for many years, with everyone waiting for someone else to jump.

From what I understand, just because you click I'm Ready, doesn't mean you'll get a delivery date in 2021, although it seems likely.
Can confirm it’s not the same for everyone. I got the original Dec 2 email and lifted the hold 2+ weeks ago (my order was from 2020). My estimate delivery date has been stuck on “TBD” and I have no clue when I’m getting my car. I was mentally prepared to lose my reservation because I’m traveling international most of December, but each day it’s stuck on TBD gives me hope

Reactions: mwdietertg
Can confirm it’s not the same for everyone. I got the original Dec 2 email and lifted the hold 2+ weeks ago (my order was from 2020). My estimate delivery date has been stuck on “TBD” and I have no clue when I’m getting my car. I was mentally prepared to lose my reservation because I’m traveling international most of December, but each day it’s stuck on TBD gives me hope

Lifted my hold last night and EDD updated to Feb 24 - Mar 24!

This is what getting your hopes up looks like
Tesla is likely shifting focus on those that are ready for delivery now vs wasting time (and losing potential sale if they cancel the order) on US that are postponing delivery.

Tesla is likely shifting focus on those that are ready for delivery now vs wasting time (and losing potential sale if they cancel the order) on US that are postponing delivery.
I think all we're seeing is the random results of Tesla's struggle to reign in their scattered order books.
Orders on hold since 2019, 2020 ??? Really, they allowed that ??

They've discovered they can't just write a few lines of code and feed the blogs some morsels, then see their problem solved.
It takes work to clean up your own mess. Add the potential for Government Incentives, and the pot boils.

Reactions: mwdietertg
Perhaps some of this confusion is of our own doing.

Believe Tesla is getting thousands of orders being changed on a daily basis. People wanting to change configurations, change delivery months/years, ordering cars they never intend to take delivery of as a kind of arbitrage.

They are probably tearing their hair out trying to determine which of the orders are real and which are phantom while they continue to try to optimize factory production to produce the maximum number of deliveries.

While customers want Tesla to fully disclose their production/configurations/pricing etc they in their own way are trying to cover up their true intentions.

Many seem to be stretching out their deliveries in hopes of getting the latest builds or tax credits etc.

Not un expected that Tesla would be finding it hard to offer firm and specific delivery dates.

Reactions: Corndart

Pure speculation, this. Everything suggests otherwise. Majority people lifting holds are getting prioritized right away.

It is completely reasonable for Tesla to force people to lift order holds, for long term order holders, so people can either take delivery or cancel altogether and they can project demand better. There is no potential for “wasting time” - if someone cancels there is enough demand for VIN to get reassigned.

I received the cancellation email November 24 (believe it was the first batch), originally put it on hold because I was waiting on the CVAP grant. Realized pricing would still be cheaper without it so emailed back immediately to take it off hold same day.

Original order date: March '21
EDD been sitting at March 21 - April 18
White/White/ 20" Induction

Common everyone. This is purely dependent on your config. If your config is common enough for your area (delivery center or centers if you are in dense enough area), there will probably be a chance you will be delayed as there are enough takers for the same car. If your config is somewhat unique, where no one else ordered the same car in your nearby area, most likely you will be asked to take it or leave it.

Common everyone. This is purely dependent on your config. If your config is common enough for your area (delivery center or centers if you are in dense enough area), there will probably be a chance you will be delayed as there are enough takers for the same car. If your config is somewhat unique, where no one else ordered the same car in your nearby area, most likely you will be asked to take it or leave it.
That's definitely a factor, and a real one, just not the only one.
We are all speculating what Tesla is doing, but we cannot read their minds. Not clear they can either....
Just do what you gotta do.

Reactions: voxel and PNWLeccy
I was in the "Dec 9 ultimatum" email. Original order Jun'21.
Removed the hold Dec 8 and got a VIN this morning (Dec 9). EDD showing Dec 14-20 picking up in Smithtown, New York.
White/White 5 seat, no other options.
I also ordered in June but did not receive the Dec. 9th ultimatum. However, my SA has reached out to me to tell me I am in the "cancellation queue" and that he expects me to get the 'take delivery or cancel' ultimatum soon.

Your situation confirms what I expect, which is that whenever I do take my order off hold, I will most likely be matched to a VIN immediately. My inclination is to leave my order on hold until I receive the notification but I'll be traveling in a few days and won't return until literally 12/31. Ultimately, if I am forced to take delivery before the end of the year, I won't be here to receive it. I'm afraid that the vehicle may have delivery issues that I won't have an opportunity to report during the first 24 hours and thus will have no recourse.