Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Online - or - through Store/Gallery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went by the local Store/Gallery and was surprised that they were pushing to purchase there instead of online. They say not only does that get them "credit" for the sale, but they provide more hand-holding through the order/delivery process. The first part I get, happy to give credit. But is there really a difference in customer service? I would think that they would help me anyway once I place my order.

What are your experiences?

I ordered at the store only because it was my wife's birthday otherwise I would have ordered at home, the store gave us 4 keychains & after leaving I think they called once to see if I had any questions but everything else was subsequently handled by HQ.

My wife and I were 1100 miles from home when we stumbled upon the Tesla store in the Old Orchard Mall north of Chicago. After studying the car, asking questions and taking a test drive, we placed our order right there. Did not wait to go back to FL. Strike while the iron is hot, they say.

We finalized our order in the Santana Row store, back in the Signature days. It was a great experience, and allowed us one last chance to see the colors in person, wander outside with them, and to get our questions answered. We spent about an hour and a half with the store manager, and used one of the big touch screens to finalize. During the process, my wife, with visions of kids spilling drinks in her head, was lamenting the perforated leather seats and then noticed the the performance seats and the nice red piping. She began talking me into the performance version :biggrin: I didn't argue.

In Texas, I ordered in store after test drive 'event', but I had to call from my phone and talk to rep in Colorado.

They cannot do anything in the store.

I did get high fives and some Tesla 'stuff' before leaving.

I reserved at the Old Orchard store in December 2012 and had an amazing experience. I like the extra ceremony with the reservation folder, print out, and keychains. Made me feel special!

If you like shopping in person, I think most would enjoy the face to face experience of ordering at one of the Tesla Retail Stores, if you prefer shopping for items online, then you might like doing it at home.

my two cents!

Place your order online, from what I remember when I ordered in the store they logged into my Tesla account & checked the same boxes as I would have sitting at home.

Paperwork, financing, trade in, delivery etc... is all the same. Place your order along with a credit card deposit, you are then given 2 weeks to make any changes to your order, you can choose to send your order to the factory at anytime in that 2 week window otherwise order is sent automatically at the end. Soon after that you will receive your VIN#...use this time to get rid of your existing car & get bids for the electric outlet in the garage if needed, if financing then start shopping around or you can go thru Tesla. Its a easy process & everything falls nicely into place. The worst part was signing & initialing the paperwork at delivery standing 5 feet from my car, it took about a minute but it felt like forever.

I visited the Domain store in Austin (190 miles away), to test sit in one, before deciding it had adequate headroom for me (I'm 6'-3").
No test ride, no test drive, but I knew the car was the right choice.
I also reviewed the actual finish samples there, much better than reviewing finishes on a web page.

My Opinion
: There should be a Gallery somewhere in DFW.
TM is NOT doing a stellar job marketing in North Texas (6.5+ million residents) as they currently only have a Service Center.
TM seriously needs to review, address and correct this situation.

After many telephone calls and emails with personnel I had met and spoken with in Austin Store (they could not address or respond to several of my questions about cost, etc.), I ended up speaking with a couple of representatives in CO over a couple of days.

Finally placed order online, and worked with service Rep in Fremont via phone and email.
Kind of a maze, but it all worked out.

The entire process could be mush simpler and streamlined a bit, even working around Texas' archaic Dealer Laws.

My Opinion[/B]: There should be a Gallery somewhere in DFW.

After many telephone calls and emails with personnel I had met and spoken with in Austin Store (they could not address or respond to several of my questions about cost, etc.), I ended up speaking with a couple of representatives in CO over a couple of days.

Finally placed order online, and worked with service Rep in Fremont via phone and email.

The entire process could be mush simpler and streamlined a bit, even working around Texas' archaic Dealer Laws.

I'm sure they will have a store there at some point but their hands are tied on a lot of the other issues you raised because of the dealership laws you also brought up. You are not even allowed to call the service center directly to schedule an appointment. You have to call California first.

I visited the Domain store in Austin (190 miles away), to test sit in one, before deciding it had adequate headroom for me (I'm 6'-3").
No test ride, no test drive, but I knew the car was the right choice.
I also reviewed the actual finish samples there, much better than reviewing finishes on a web page.

My Opinion
: There should be a Gallery somewhere in DFW.
TM is NOT doing a stellar job marketing in North Texas (6.5+ million residents) as they currently only have a Service Center.
TM seriously needs to review, address and correct this situation.

They've figured it out in Houston and Austin, so putting up a 'store' in Dallas should be a no brainer. Because it's a 'retail store' and not a dealer, shouldn't be that hard. I agree they would sell a LOT more if they did. I could even see Dallas having two (one in Plano area and one near Highland Park--probably Northpark).

They've figured it out in Houston and Austin, so putting up a 'store' in Dallas should be a no brainer. Because it's a 'retail store' and not a dealer, shouldn't be that hard. I agree they would sell a LOT more if they did. I could even see Dallas having two (one in Plano area and one near Highland Park--probably Northpark).

Last year they had Northpark as "coming soon". It's since been removed. I don't know whether the lease terms weren't good or whether they felt there were enough sales without a gallery presence.

About Dallas,

1) No present need to create additional demand since they are supply-constrained
2) Don't see any need to stir up more trouble with the dealers in Texas
3) Like you said, they can't do much and you'll have to call CO in the end anyway, so why not channel those resources against the dealership laws first?
4) Perhaps you should be writing to your elected representatives instead...

About Dallas,

1) No present need to create additional demand since they are supply-constrained
2) Don't see any need to stir up more trouble with the dealers in Texas
3) Like you said, they can't do much and you'll have to call CO in the end anyway, so why not channel those resources against the dealership laws first?
4) Perhaps you should be writing to your elected representatives instead...

1) That won't last forever, and they are shipping now within 30 days. Think now is the prefect time to create more demand.
2) Not going to stir it up anymore than it is--and they are not doing anything 'illegal' so who cares.
3) We need more people being exposed to Tesla that's why--Dallas is a huge market and makes a difference to see it in person.
4) Already did that--won't do any good, so might as well sell as many Tesla's as possible.

Last thing we should do is go run and hide because of Tx Auto Dealers--let's stand-up and sell more Tesla's! I personally hope they open more Galleries in Texas--San Antonio, Dallas (two locations), another in North Houston (Woodlands area).