TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Order or Reservation?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by timf, Feb 3, 2015.

?

What do you refer to your Model X deposit as?

1. Order

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Reservation

46 vote(s)
    97.9%
  1. timf

timf Member

I've been asked on numerous occasions by people if I've ordered a Tesla. I generally respond that no, I have a deposit on one but I will not be able to order until later this year, which I feel is the technically correct answer. I do notice a lot of others on here that refer to their Model X reservation as an "order", or often times in articles describing how high demand is for Model X they'll say things like "if you order now, you won't get it until 2016".

So, my question to everyone that's put a deposit down on a Model X is do you prefer to call that an "order" or a "reservation"?

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I say deposit.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I call it a reservation, but it may as well be an order because unless things radically change I really don't expect to forego the slot when it comes up. :)

It's rather like my Model S: I signed the MVPA and configured my car before I could make it to a test drive event. Even then, I flew 4 hours for an 11-minute test drive (and a gimpy one at that, since Seattle's test drive couldn't include freeways and there were reports that police were specifically called to monitor the Teslas on hwy 45 (I think that's the hwy #?)) along with the 4 hour flight back.

Dedication, I tell ya.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I call it a reservation because that's what it is. Order, reservation, and deposit all have very different meanings. It's best to mean what you say.

For the same reason the Model S is quick but not necessarily fast. Some people use "fast" when what they really mean is "quick".

5. n88

n88 Member

6. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

it is obviously a deposit for a reservation but I will fulfill my reservation so it is in my mind an order for the X

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I don't feel the need to correct my friends diction. If someone asks have I got a Model X ordered/reserved I know what they are talking about and reply affirmatively.

8. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

I have reserved a Model X. When my wife formally picks all the options with Tesla Motors, we will have ordered the X.

9. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

We haven't ordered a Model X, we've reserved a place in the ordering line.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agreed. No need to get pedantic on something that's likely already a murky subject for them in the first place (EVs and how life with them [and TM] is)

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

You cannot really order something that has not been produced yet. When the design studio pops and you configure your car and finalize that is an order, otherwise it is reserving a production number.

12. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Me neither most of the time. Unless it's on the Internet! Ha! ;-)

13. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Having owned and driven both the Roadster and the Model S, I am perfectly and happily prepared to configure/order/purchase a Model X sight-unseen. My one caveat is that I don't really want one of the first units produced... I see some teething issues of fit, finish, and reliability as being absolutely inevitable to the manufacture of any product, so I'd be thrilled to get the five-thousandth Model X off the line.

But everybody's different. My wife will not buy the car until/unless she can sit in it, evaluate the little creature comforts that matter to her, and test drive it. And she's also well acquainted with both of my Teslas. So my best guess is that there's no way to know how many people will buy it if they can't previously test-drive it.

14. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Can't vote :). I use the two terms somewhat interchangeably. Most people I talk to don't understand the finer points of the difference between the two terms. So if they say 'order', I go with that. Here on the forum, I'll use the term 'reservation' because people generally understand the difference (but hopefully that will change and I can say 'order' when the Design Center opens for the X and I can officially place my order which will be someday soon because it has to be and I don't know how much longer I can hold on).

- - - Updated - - -

Since it is likely IF it has to be purchased sight-unseen, it will only be for the first units produced ... I'm officially okay with that. My personal experience (ymmv) is that Tesla has always made things right. I'm excited to be getting one of the first ones.

15. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

My experience with Tesla's mistakes is also that they nearly always make things right, and clearly try very hard to do so. Some promises have never been fulfilled, and my wife clearly remembers the lighted vanity mirrors and the sunshade to cover the inside of the pano roof as two clear examples of unfulfilled promises that she specifically cares about. But in general, if it's on the car and doesn't work well, they fix it.

However, I'd rather avoid certain kinds of problems, for instance body-panel fit problems, instead of having to fix them if they do occur. Hence I'd prefer to wait a little before I receive mine. The problem with that is that I'll need to talk to Tesla about it: we have non-sig #411 and then #18,130 (or so) instead of having both around #5000 where I'd have liked to be. And to make it even more interesting, the #411 reservation is hers! :D

Interesting times as always. Webesee.

16. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Ha! I did exactly the same thing, though in my memory the Seattle test drive circuit was only a seven-minute loop...and I don't think I exceeded 55 mph at any point.

As for my X reservation...anybody looking for a good deal on a well-loved Sig Red S85? :biggrin: