Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order or wait for Model X improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend I put a reservation down for a P85. Yay! I have until the 28th to confirm my config. This morning I saw a post go by about the Model X getting closer to production. It also included some pictures I hadn't seen before: Tesla X-pansion: Model X Deliveries to Start in Early 2015, More Details Emerge - Photo Gallery of Car News from Car and Driver - Car Images. Full disclosure, I don't know if these are actually new or just some recycled older concept photos but I am seeing what looks like newer seat designs, as well as some general fit and finish changes.

This has raised a question for me...should I proceed with a Model S order so close to the Model X coming? Or is it possible that Tesla decides to incorporate some of their changes/improvements from the Model X into the Model S?

My Model S would show up in September and I'm just wondering if I'd kick myself for dropping all this money on one only to see some improvements added early next year.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Like all modern technology, Teslas cars are going to continually improve over time, and fairly rapidly at that. If you put off buying one because you want to wait for the next round of improvements...you'll never place your order.

Place your order and start enjoying the car ASAP! You'll. be glad you did.

We were in the same predicament, reserved a Model X last October (2013) which seems will be delivered by the end on next year. We are still excited about the X but decided to order a Model S P85 two weeks ago as our second car :smile: We were going to take delivery of the Model X and then get a Gen 3 in a couple of years but life is too short so S now and X next year..... Life is Good... And the P85 will be delivered on my birthday this October!!

I agree with all of the above, Tesla continues to improve and improve into the future. The difference in automobiles from just 5 years ago is incredible, and as technology improves so does just about everything. This is especially true for Tesla which is way out front in all categories, enjoy what you can get now because life is short.

Do you need AWD or seating for 7 adults? If not, you'll likely be waiting until late 2015 to get a Model X.

The Model S is much more refined now that when I got my car. Any of the autonomous driving features sound like they'll be able to be retrofitted but you never know. You could always wait until the end of the summer to see if you hear about anything but it's such a great car why wait? As said above, if you play the waiting game for the next big upgrade you'll never get the car.

What are you waiting for?

I mean that as a question. What (hardware) features are you waiting for that you would risk not being able to retrofit?

Sorry I should have included that. I have read that there will be seat improvements coming soon. I too think the Model S seats could be a bit better. Although it sounds like I'll get some minor tweaks that allow you to sit deeper into them with better bolstering. At least that's what they told me. I am also hoping for either iPod integration or the basic ability to shuffle music, although this could come from a firmware update. I also think the Model S could benefit from better (and more) cupholder layout, map pockets and storage without having to buy the ~$800 under development console insert.

I get that new improvements will always be around the corner. I guess what I'm thinking about is the more notable pieces of feedback from existing owners that could be coming via the Model X and to the Model S if they decided to refresh it around the time Model X starts shipping.

Sorry I should have included that. I have read that there will be seat improvements coming soon. I too think the Model S seats could be a bit better. Although it sounds like I'll get some minor tweaks that allow you to sit deeper into them with better bolstering. At least that's what they told me. I am also hoping for either iPod integration or the basic ability to shuffle music, although this could come from a firmware update. I also think the Model S could benefit from better (and more) cupholder layout, map pockets and storage without having to buy the ~$800 under development console insert.

I get that new improvements will always be around the corner. I guess what I'm thinking about is the more notable pieces of feedback from existing owners that could be coming via the Model X and to the Model S if they decided to refresh it around the time Model X starts shipping.

You are correct many of their improvements will come via software and likely right as your car would arrive. If the new seat is important that might be worth waiting on. Have you called Tesla? Since Elon announced it at the shareholders meeting maybe they have some timeframe on when it will enter production. I wouldn't expect a major resign of the interior for a few years though.

I don't think it will ever have map pockets. Do you need them for maps or just general storage? With the Nav maps really not needed. You may find you like the empty space instead of the center console too.

You are correct many of their improvements will come via software and likely right as your car would arrive. If the new seat is important that might be worth waiting on. Have you called Tesla? Since Elon announced it at the shareholders meeting maybe they have some timeframe on when it will enter production. I wouldn't expect a major resign of the interior for a few years though.

I don't think it will ever have map pockets. Do you need them for maps or just general storage? With the Nav maps really not needed. You may find you like the empty space instead of the center console too.

I have asked my local Tesla store about it but they haven't been able to give me anything specific. I am supposed to confirm my config on Saturday. I might ask another time and will likely just move forward. It's a gorgeous car and I'm super excited. Just hoping that some of the things I wish were a bit better don't show up soon after I get mine. :)

I don't carry around maps. I just like having some small pockets in the doors for storing random stuff. The map pockets in my M3 were perfect but it's not a deal breaker. I think I'm going to order that center console insert they are planning. I think it would be nice to have the extra options and cup holders out of the way of the arm rest.

Personally I would order the options you want but wait on the center consol. You should have the car and drive it, you might find some of the things that you read on the forum are not something that will bother you. I have no problem with the seats and love the openness of the center consol.

Agree. Center console can be added later. Drive it for a month without it and see if it works.

Worst case scenario is that if the new seats really are that much better, sounds like you can upgrade but probably not cheap. My guess is something this summer they'll simply transition over to the new seats. Since your car is getting built in September, you might get them.

Last edited:
+1
I thought I would buy the center console right away...but actually enjoy the openness of the Model S. I have not purchased the centre console as of yet.
I find that with the NAV system, I don't carry around maps anymore.

I'm glad I got my Model S 2 months ago, and don't regret it.

I wonder how many threads are on this and the TM board asking the question - "buy now or wait." There will always be something new. The earliest adopters did not get parking sensors or folding mirrors, but they do have the signature logo. Maybe newer versions will have blind spot detection and maybe they won't. Except for minor changes just mentioned, VIN00001 is the same car as VIN47000. The upgrades to the firmware keeps everyone on a level playing field. If you try to second guess what Elon Musk and TM are going to do, it will drive you crazy.