TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Order placed! I hope I don't mess up and I hope I picked well!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by acarney, Jul 12, 2019.

1. acarney

acarney Member

Order placed for a.....

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus
    Deep Blue Metallic
    Black and White Interior

I really hope I picked well on the colors. I had such a hard time between Blue, White, and Red. The red looks fantastic in some Youtube videos and in others just looks a little "single note" or "flat". The white looks amazing pretty much all the time, but I used to have an old Audi with a white pearl tri-coat and kinda wanted something different, and a little more lively. The blue... oh man the blue has me wondering. In some videos it looks AMAZING, a vibrant deeper and brighter then life blue that you just get lost in. I love that so much. In other videos at night or on real overcast days it looks a bit too dark, almost like if you just saw it driving on the road it would look kind of black/gun metal or something. Not bad mind you, but far less vibrant and exciting as all the promo shots that Tesla publishes. I don't have a local dealer so videos and the occasional car passing on the road is the best I can do... I hope I picked well and shouldn't have gone for the red instead!

Ordering online was super easy but the site was showing 3 weeks before and now it's saying within 2 weeks. I hope I can have Tesla hold my delivery until at least Aug 1st since the Washington state tax credit comes back starting then...

I put my address in as the delivery location and it shows it as updated, but it isn't telling me I'll have to pick up from a store or anything (~180 miles away from a store) so I'm curious if they'll contact me saying I can have it shipped or not...

I have no idea what to fill out for registration though, there isn't a lot of guidance on that. Obviously the car is for me, but I'll be taking a loan from a local credit union to pay for it... so am I considered the person for registration... or do I need to fill it out as a business (the credit union) being registered to it? I'll probably wait for Tesla to call me about that. This is one aspect that the simple online process could make more clear!

Excited, and nervous. I hope the SR+ fits my needs (50 miles or less locally, but will be primary road trip car for 200 to 300 mile trips a few times a year in Washington state, sometimes in winter weather/cold) and I don't have to waste too much time super charging. I really wanted the long range for the faster super charger speed and just extra range, but I would have had to leave a $2500 WA credit on the table AND it's more expensive, over all it was just too much. Oh well, maybe the 50kWh pack can charge a little faster and Tesla will change it via software later on if they're fed up with us hogging all the supercharger stalls :p

2. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

#2 jebinc, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Blue and White will look very nice - almost went with that combo myself. In the end, I defaulted to my usual gray metallic (MSM), but did go with the premium white interior (normally, I go with black). If taking longer trips, why not a LR RWD or LR AWD model?

3. acarney

acarney Member

Because the price of the LR RWD and LR AWD would have meant I didn't qualify for a $2,500 state tax credit. That combined with the higher price of those cars just seemed more then I wanted to get myself into. Honestly I came into this aiming for the Base Standard Range and already pushed up to the Plus, I had to limit myself somewhere. Washington has a pretty good Supercharger network and ABetterRoutePlanner with extreme's (doing the trip when it's 5F out and 75mph, doing it when it's 105F, etc) all seemed to be within "acceptable" ranges for me with the longest single supercharger stop needing to be about 24 minutes... so I think I'll be ok. Granted even 24 minutes sounds long to me right now when it's just over a 3 hour drive. That said, I'm sure it'll be different after I've been sitting in the car for 90 minutes and use the restroom and get a drink or something. The time probably goes by quick.

Edit: I'm also a little under the gun, I have a lease that I'll be turning in ~Aug 24th, and with it being a questionable time for the LR RWD delivery I wasn't sure I wanted to risk that, plus having both cars with a little overlap will allow me to drop it off for a couple days to get a PPF wrap or tint without stressing about going without a car :p

4. jebinc

Ah, right! Might you also be the person I was chatting with the other day in another thread about "Sales Tax" and possibly taking delivery in Portland? If so, please let me know how it all works out. For me, the $2500 is a missed opportunity as I took delivery last month. I'm not sure if the $2500 would have prevented me from getting the model I really wanted, however - tough to say.

5. acarney

acarney Member

I am, and I just went ahead and ordered online and tossed in my address. At the "payment method" screen of the Tesla account it shows the Destination Fee, Doc Fee, Sales Tax, and Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees. If all those are accurate then they're calculating the tax at the exact rate based on my home address, which I also put in as the delivery address. I also was told by the sales advisor to allow about $500 for registration, currently it's showing as $125.75 with Tesla... but maybe Washington is changing something next month to help fund the tax credit? Who knows... crossing my fingers these numbers are accurate though... I mean wouldn't this be what I told my bank when I asked for financing?

Edit: I should note that the sales advisor was Seattle based and I was emailing/calling him. Today when I ordered I said "screw it" and just did everything online by myself to see what that experience was like and to see if that would trigger a shipping delivery option based on how far I am from the stores...

6. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I was debating between the red and the pearl white when ordering mine. Red can look orangey at night under certain lights. We have a Midnight Metallic gray already and the white I thought would look better parked to it at home (brown house color). So funny to read how people end up making their final choice. The blue looks sharp on the road when I’ve seen it.

As for vehicle titling/license plate registration if it’s just you (not married) then just your name. If you were married, you might want to explore the different ways to take title for legal reasons. As far as having financing from your credit union, they will have a lien on the car until paid off but that won’t affect how you title the car.

I’m not surprised your delivery timeframe got reduced as Elon said production had picked up even faster lately. Exciting time! Enjoy getting things ready and reading up on it (check out the manual ahead of time—think May 16 is the latest updated version) and check back in with delivery and how you enjoy your car.

7. acarney

acarney Member

Will do! I'm actually hoping I can slow delivery a little as if I get it before Aug 1st I'll miss out on a $2,500 state sales tax that's coming back. When I spoke with a sales advisor he said I could order now (I assume through him though) and they could freeze delivery for a couple weeks. I'll have to call in after a couple days once my order has settled in the system and ask about scheduling delivery for no sooner then like Aug 3rd/4th :p

8. SMAlset

Did you use a referral code to get 1,000 free supercharging miles? If not you might want to cancel your order now and re-enter it with a referral link. Happy to provide you with mine if you don’t already have. It takes you to a special order page to get the SC credit and both parties earn it. They don’t seem to want to add referral codes after the fact any longer. I’ll PM you mine if you want to use it.

9. acarney

acarney Member

Ha, I'm sorry, I did already use one. As much as I think Fred from electrek is an ass/full of himself at times, I've used his site daily for the last two or three years to research the goings on with Tesla and the cars... so I used his code. Was going to ask here at first but then thought that might be against the rules, sometimes message boards are weird like that.

• Like x 1
  10. jebinc

Wow, great! Yeah, I did everything on line as well, and input my address and "at home delivery," as I mentioned in the other thread. At the end of the day, I paid the full Bellevue 10.35 rate because I was within 50 miles of a SC (Bellevue), and no home delivery was available. You might have got it to work as it should being more than 50 miles from the SC. Be wary, however... I asked and was told it didn't matter if I was more or less than 50 miles away from a SC because legally, the transaction occurs at the place of business (Seattle or Bellevue) - delivery to your address is just a service that Seattle/Bellevue SC's provide. Now, if that's true, I would pick it up in person (if it were me) rather than letting them drive (or truck) your new car over to you (subjecting it to rock chips, etc.)… Please keep me posted!

11. jebinc

I think if you PM'd someone (like me), we could have been within bounds with TMC re a referral code. I would have loved to share the 2000 miles with you!

12. acarney

acarney Member

Wait, can you share super charging credit?

How accurate was your "total" cost information when you ordered online and it showed you the break down of title, tax, doc fee, etc. Was that all reflecting the Bellevue rate already, or when you went to pick up the car did they print off a new amount and tell you a new total due?

13. jebinc

I meant to say, you and the person whose referral code you use each get 1000 miles. In your case, you gave Electrek 1000 miles. I ended up using some YouTube guy's code, but that was before I knew of this site. Calling the Showroom allows to change codes as well (I did that).
    Total Cost Accuracy - I don't recall if it changed online after the delivery location was switched to Bellevue or not, but I can say that what I had online before delivery was exactly matching the paperwork I signed at Bellevue - was ZERO SC hassle. In and out in 20 minutes flat!

14. acarney

acarney Member

Hmm, hopefully somehow mine applies my local rate so I don't have to pay for you Seattle guys stuff ;)

Hey, speaking of Seattle, I think you guys have an urban super charger now, or will soon. Do you know how that works if it's in a parking garage that requires paid parking? Can you go in and super charge for 25 minutes or something without paying some crazy parking fee (downtown is what, like $20+ for 6 hours or something?) or is there always a parking fee along with the urban chargers?

15. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

How did you get charged 10.35 rate? I'm seeing a car sales tax for Bellevue @ 10% and for Seattle @10.1% per Washington (WA) Sales Tax Rates by City I live in Seattle and just figured I could purchase in Bellevue for (an admittedly small) break on taxes.

16. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

This SC is actually like 4 blocks from where I live but it's located inside of a parking garage and you have to pay. Some places allow charging without paying parking fee, or offer a discount, but unfortunately this one won't.

17. acarney

acarney Member

Does that information come up in the nav system when you route somewhere? Will it normally route to this supercharger, or is this location not preferred over other locations?

18. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

It's very new. Been tracking the progress here: Urban Supercharger - Downtown - Seattle, WA

19. SMAlset

#19 SMAlset, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    In the car it will show you a SC location in the nav directions for your planned route. You can change it. We took a trip a few weeks back and liked a particular SC location due to a restaurant we wanted to eat at. It had selected another for us. You can cancel nav and then select another SC in route and have nav take you to that one and plot your nav from there. I don’t seem to have any photos handy from any car trips illustrating this, but here’s an old screen grab from my phone app on availability of local SCs at that point where we were in San Jose.

924153E6-B180-4A41-A8BA-443D4F6A150F.png

The SCers at Santana Row (big shopping area here with large multi-level parking garage) are plug in yourself and a special area for Valet (as noted). Can't say I've seen garages that are pay to park with SCs in them but know that in Southern Calif. they have them. If anyone has a photo of what those say on your screen I'd be interested to see it.

The “nearby charging” locations listed I’ve found to be Tesla HPWCs. Had lunch at a golf course location that had a few and got a little bit of range there. L2.

20. acarney

acarney Member

Oof, apparently my sales advisor latched on to my account because he just emailed me to congratulate me on my order. He adjusted my delivery date to be Aug 1st or later without me asking (which is awesome because I spoke to him before saying I wanted to make sure I got the credit), but I’m going to be super annoyed if he overrides the online site and sets my delivery location at his or another Seattle are store! I’m going to have to call Tesla a bunch until I can get someone that can confirm if I can have the car shipped to me. I also don’t want to tempt the tax increasing just because he latched on and it converts to a Seattle area sale :p

Edit: It’s worth a little over $600 btw