Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order placed. Need insight on options please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha all! I placed my order for my MS this past Thursday and need some insight on the all glass roof and SAS. I've seen some posts about excessive wind noise with the all glass roof. Anyone experience this? If so, was the service center able to remedy the problem? Regarding SAS, I'm planning to keep this car for while and worry about out of warranty repairs. Anyone have any issues with their SAS? I don't have a steep driveway and didn't think I went anywhere with clearance issues, but realize it's because my wife and I currently drive gas guzzling SUV's and height isn't a problem.

Welcome to the Tesla HI community!

I drove my husband's car all day today and he has the glass roof (I have the pano roof). I didn't notice any excess wind noise and he hasn't mentioned anything about it either. I have air suspension on my current car (and was on my first car) and haven't had any issues. I enjoy having the flexibility to adjust the height. I've also driven a loaner car with standard suspension car and the ride seemed stiffer.

Hope this helps.

I too have the glass roof. No wind noise at all. Its great. I had the pano before, and enjoy the all glass much more.

I have had three S's with the SAS. I think definitely a must have. I believe there's two reasons for SAS. One is driving over steep or difficult driveway entrances or alleys. But number two is more important. We have so many concrete rolly-polly curbs in parking lots. Many have rebar through a hole that prevents the concrete curb from moving. Its too easy to pull the Model S up to the curb and for a number or reasons backing out often causes the curb or rebar to hang on the front and tear the lower front bumper. I've scrapped mine but now only once or twice. The less known secret about the SAS is its GPS based memory of where you last raised the height. For instance, pull into a parking lot and raise your car before you pull close to the regular or rolly-polly curb. Now that you have raised the car (helps exiting the car too), the car remembers you raised it and you don't need to raise it or remember to raise it next time - its automatic. This feature of the SAS has saved scrubbing the bottom side of the car many times. Yes, the SAS is a must have. Never had a problem with it. One of my S's is 3 1/2 years old. Never been a problem.

(In the future, we recommend you put "Hawaii or Oahu" in your title if it applies to 50th state, so the thread remains in our section of the forum).

Welcome to the family. Tell us more about your order and yourself.

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'll be adding SAS. I've been on the fence for while about purchasing. I was set on paying off my rental property first, but decided I don't want to wait that long to get what I want. This is by far, the most expensive car I will have owned. I would have waited a bit longer but the discontinuing of the 60kw battery is what pushed me to buy. I was debating about getting a 60D, but from what I've been reading, the AWD seems to be more useful in wintery conditions. I didn't opt for much to keep the cost down, but it's so hard not checking off every box. Only other option besides all glass, and now SAS, is EAP. I wasn't going to get EAP, but after talking to an owner, was convinced that this is part of what makes this car so special. I'm sticking with multi pattern seats because I plan to keep this car a while. I appreciate the wealth of information this forum has and look forward to meeting everyone at future events!

Just to be sure you don't over look it, the auto lift gate is part of the PUP and nearly everyone wants the auto lift gate versus manually man-handling it to open and close. To be blunt, its sad that we must pay for the entire PUP to get the auto lift gate, but that's simply the way it is.

Aloha all! I placed my order for my MS this past Thursday and need some insight on the all glass roof and SAS. I've seen some posts about excessive wind noise with the all glass roof. Anyone experience this? If so, was the service center able to remedy the problem? Regarding SAS, I'm planning to keep this car for while and worry about out of warranty repairs. Anyone have any issues with their SAS? I don't have a steep driveway and didn't think I went anywhere with clearance issues, but realize it's because my wife and I currently drive gas guzzling SUV's and height isn't a problem.
Welcome to the family.
Don't worry about the wind noise, but be prepared to be Missing the Engine Noise

Auto lift gate > SAS, imho. EAP wasn't an option for me, so can't speak to it. I've seen Honolulu traffic that looked like bumper to bumper so EAP might be advantageous there.
I think the roof is rather nice, and would get it for Hawaii.

Man, these options add up quick! $3500 seems pretty steep for some lights and a motorized liftgate. It seems nice to have, but coming from never having that before, I'm wondering if it's something I wouldn't miss anyway. I've decided against leather hoping that the textile will last longer since I plan to keep the car for a while. Because of that, I wouldn't get some of the interior features PUP includes.

I'm not sure if recent models have changed, but I was given a RWD 85 as a loaner when my 60D was getting its first service. First thing I noticed was how squirelly the back gets with all that torque.

Coming from a BMW I did enjoy the steering feel of RWD but AWD just felt so much more surefooted and stable to me. I live in california so it's similar weather to Hawaii and I would still get AWD every single time for the stability, confidence and little extra mileage.

JKC42, There might be good news for you. IF you are a DIYer, and you really wished you had gotten the auto lift gate, there's an aftermarket solution. A couple of people on TMC has purchased it and installed it. Their instructions are excellent. Cost is about $400. Yes, about 1/10 the cost of the PUP. If you do it yourself.

JKC42, There might be good news for you. IF you are a DIYer, and you really wished you had gotten the auto lift gate, there's an aftermarket solution. A couple of people on TMC has purchased it and installed it. Their instructions are excellent. Cost is about $400. Yes, about 1/10 the cost of the PUP. If you do it yourself.

Lots of changes on the Tesla site.
- 75 is only $1500 more than what the 60
- Power lift gate is standard feature
- Glass roof is standard
- No SAS option on 75. Available on 90 and up.

Last edited:
I was just on the site about to make some design changes, whilst cursing that this forum is making me spend more money...lol. I'm seeing these changes and am going to contact my sales advisor tomorrow. The 75 is the same price as my 60 with glass roof. I don't see where the power lift gate is standard, but am hoping it is. Only part I'm bummed about is SAS as that is one of the changes I was going to make.

Man, these options add up quick! $3500 seems pretty steep for some lights and a motorized liftgate. It seems nice to have, but coming from never having that before, I'm wondering if it's something I wouldn't miss anyway. I've decided against leather hoping that the textile will last longer since I plan to keep the car for a while. Because of that, I wouldn't get some of the interior features PUP includes.

I had the exact same thoughts as you. In the end, I went for just the base model no with no Prem. Pack. and have been happy with the car as-is. As for the wear and tear on the seats, there are already a few options available on the Net as far as seat covers. Still looking into these and the all weather mats.