Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order placed, still in "free charging" config window. Nope on 100D. Sad. Need Counseling.

Mode X 90D with free charging OR 100D without?

• 90D with free charging.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • 100D without.

Votes: 75 78.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As with many people here, I am having serious Tesla order anxiety. I put my $2500 down on the 14th... Was assured that I have through Saturday Jan. 21 at midnight to commit or bail. Also with others, I was under the impression I could switch to the S (sounds like can't, but thats another story. I like X).

I was very excited when the 100D was announced today. I've seriously gone through every configuration possible, often wishing "If they only had a non P 100D version". After a few calls to Tesla, it sounds like configuring my "free charging for life" X to 100D can't happen. "Because the new model was released with new book pricing" (or something).

I need some TMC group therapy. Think there is any chance if I cancel, Tesla might budge to talk me out of it, giving me a little window to say "Well, if I could do the 100D...?" Should I say screw free lifetime charging? I live in the midwest and make frequent trips from ND to Minneapolis and back. And sometimes to Madison WI. I've flown in the past, but the idea of making the trip under the influence of auto-pilot makes me think I'd drive more often if I had a Tesla. BUT even if I put 20,000 miles a year on the X and ALL of it was freely charged... what would that be, like $1400 at most I would be saving? Those numbers are extreme, the reality is I'd put considerably less miles on the X.

Then my head goes to perceived value. Would resale on an "X with free charging" be more a few years down the road if I want to sell? I can't think of any reason I'd want to sell other than just general Tesla anxiety of a Tesla virgin.

What should I do? Lock in the X with free charging or cancel and think about the 100D for a while under less pressure? I've seen a few threads saying "The 100D for sure because I don't road trip much"... but I bet they don't live in Fargo. Basically everything non-work related is a road trip here. But, even with extreme road-tripping, free charging doesn't seem like that great of a thing.

• Informative
Reactions: bigez1
If you plan to road trip with an X in cold temperatures, get the 100. Yes, you'll have to pay for supercharging over 400kWh per year, but it's a small cost. The X is energy hungry and really could benefit from 100kWh.

If you were getting an S, I might vote the other way.

Reactions: MXWing
I had this internal debate earlier today and looked at the 2017 planned SC map. They are going to virtually drop a SC between every existing charger. This would more or less mean you'd never have issues on long legs for running out of range. Your point is valid for sure that SC is really cheap (more than many of us expected I think) and it does make it tough.

I'm sticking with my 90D order from Jan 15th since it has the charging and a compelling reason to buy now since I finally got the wife onboard. If I cancle that there's no urgency to order the 100 and in my situation I feel like I'd never end up getting it and we'd keep our current S forever instead.

As with many people here, I am having serious Tesla order anxiety. I put my $2500 down on the 14th... Was assured that I have through Saturday Jan. 21 at midnight to commit or bail. Also with others, I was under the impression I could switch to the S (sounds like can't, but thats another story. I like X).

I was very excited when the 100D was announced today. I've seriously gone through every configuration possible, often wishing "If they only had a non P 100D version". After a few calls to Tesla, it sounds like configuring my "free charging for life" X to 100D can't happen. "Because the new model was released with new book pricing" (or something).

I need some TMC group therapy. Think there is any chance if I cancel, Tesla might budge to talk me out of it, giving me a little window to say "Well, if I could do the 100D...?" Should I say screw free lifetime charging? I live in the midwest and make frequent trips from ND to Minneapolis and back. And sometimes to Madison WI. I've flown in the past, but the idea of making the trip under the influence of auto-pilot makes me think I'd drive more often if I had a Tesla. BUT even if I put 20,000 miles a year on the X and ALL of it was freely charged... what would that be, like $1400 at most I would be saving? Those numbers are extreme, the reality is I'd put considerably less miles on the X.

Then my head goes to perceived value. Would resale on an "X with free charging" be more a few years down the road if I want to sell? I can't think of any reason I'd want to sell other than just general Tesla anxiety of a Tesla virgin.

What should I do? Lock in the X with free charging or cancel and think about the 100D for a while under less pressure? I've seen a few threads saying "The 100D for sure because I don't road trip much"... but I bet they don't live in Fargo. Basically everything non-work related is a road trip here. But, even with extreme road-tripping, free charging doesn't seem like that great of a thing.

Unlike most in here I understand what you are feeling. Look at my signature. What is 40 miles to you? If a supercharger is inside the 40 mile limit bubble for normal travel north (for clarity the delta) screw the 100D. I take free Supercharging! The difference between cars is slim. I asked the same question, my car's resell value might equal 100D due to the free Supercharging :- P

Reactions: polymathic
The more I am reading these replies and the threads here and here, the more I am thinking 100D is the one to go with. At least for me. I feel strangely at peace at the phone call I will be making tomorrow to cancel the deposit. Then there will be less time pressure as well.

Somewhat related, I hope I DO have through tomorrow. Any other Jan 14 deposit placers know for sure? I know I was told that when I placed the deposit BUT I was also told the first time calling today that I could upgrade to the 100D before getting a call back with a correction.

Reactions: Gremlin
There is also the "possibility" that the 100 contains newer technology and the car will have different cooling and electrical power plumbing. There is a hot discussion elsewhere that the P version of the 90 has only a set number of launches whereas the new P100 does not due to those differences. Speculation also has it that the 100 will be able to use the projected faster superchargers that will be deployed "soon" or later. Tough choice but your limited voting is tending to the100.

Somewhat related, I hope I DO have through tomorrow. Any other Jan 14 deposit placers know for sure? I know I was told that when I placed the deposit BUT I was also told the first time calling today that I could upgrade to the 100D before getting a call back with a correction.
You have 7 full days to consider. If you placed the order on a Tuesday, you have till the following Tuesday to cancel, and you want to do that if you're switching to the 100D because otherwise it will cost you an extra $500 to change it later. Not a lot of money, but waste not, want not.

I'd get the 100D even if I had to give up the free supercharging for life.

The free supercharging is more about the feeling of it than the reality of it. It's value is more about the way it makes us feel than the actual cost. Very little in life is FREE so it's hard to give up. It's even hard for me to give up since I love the idea of growing up to be a Tesla bum. Where I relied solely on the supercharger network to support a nomadic life.

It's hard for the mind to let go of it even when we've done the math. The math is mostly projections anyways, and can't take into account the number of times you stop to charge. If you stop to charge there is a chance you'll buy something. The 100D minimizes stopping so it could potentially be a wash money wise.

Here are some reasons in favor of the 100D.

1.) You live in Fargo.

2.) 99% of the time you're only charging to 90%. You can charge to 100% on occasion if you really need to do, but it takes forever (at least comparatively speaking). The 100D lets you get the range of a 90D without bothering to wait all that time.

3.) It gives you that extra range to skip superchargers. At a placement of around 100-150 miles makes 300+ miles what's need to pass one by.

4.) It reduces your reliance on the supercharging network. It's going to be a battle getting enough supercharging stalls online as more and more Tesla's hit the road.

Reactions: Gremlin
A lifetime of free charging is worth a lot to me because I plan on keeping my car at least 8 years. The only time I would need the extra range would be on a road trip, where free charging would be preferable to me over a little range. Furthermore, there is only one guarantee on charging prices down the road: less than gas... but by how much?

If you placed an order on the 14th, then you should have until the end of the day tomorrow (21st) to make changes. I ordered mine on December 21. All the communications I received said I "had through December 28 to make changes", and sure enough, my order confirmed on December 29 at 12:03am.

We are all blessed to have a 1st world problem like this one. :)

There is no correct answer as it depends on your distance to SC, how often you road trip, etc.

Resale value is going to be all over the map as every perspective buyer will have to do the same calculation you are doing. In the end I don't see it being worth more than $1k-$2k unless people are really bad at math and overvalue FUSC to an irrational level.

Resale is many years down the line, get what makes YOU happy now.

If I had to take a stab, I'd take the 100D just because of your cold weather situation and remoteness. Be sure to not forget the sub-zero option. :)

Reactions: bigez1
We are all blessed to have a 1st world problem like this one. :)

There is no correct answer as it depends on your distance to SC, how often you road trip, etc.

Resale value is going to be all over the map as every perspective buyer will have to do the same calculation you are doing. In the end I don't see it being worth more than $1k-$2k unless people are really bad at math and overvalue FUSC to an irrational level.

Resale is many years down the line, get what makes YOU happy now.

If I had to take a stab, I'd take the 100D just because of your cold weather situation and remoteness. Be sure to not forget the sub-zero option. :)

It's funny how so comments about 1st world problems come up so much on a site like this.

It's like some of you carry around some perpetual guilt inside you.

Can't you just donate a little before coming on to cleanse yourself?

Problems are all relative. Someone is always going to have bigger problems than you, and someone is going to have smaller ones. Someone out there right now is probably agonizing over what color nail polish to put on where they both look identical to anyone else. Who I am I to criticize them?

The rest of your post I completely agree with. :)

It's funny how so comments about 1st world problems come up so much on a site like this.

It's like some of you carry around some perpetual guilt inside you.

Can't you just donate a little before coming on to cleanse yourself?

Problems are all relative. Someone is always going to have bigger problems than you, and someone is going to have smaller ones. Someone out there right now is probably agonizing over what color nail polish to put on where they both look identical to anyone else. Who I am I to criticize them?

The rest of your post I completely agree with. :)

Not necessarily guilt but just a small reminder to stay humble. "1st world problems" isn't necessarily targeted to the original poster, but could be introspection for the person who replies.

I wouldn't criticize the person stressing about the nail polish and wouldn't guilt them into thinking their issue is trivial. You just try to understand where people are coming from and try to help them out no matter how big or small their issues are. You help people decide on the battery, you help people on picking out a nail polish color, its all the same

The exception to this is the bratty "open letters" where people feign "good for Tesla, good for all!" when they are really just whining about their own entitlements. Those people deserve both barrels.