Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order placed, still in "free charging" config window. Nope on 100D. Sad. Need Counseling.

Mode X 90D with free charging OR 100D without?

• 90D with free charging.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • 100D without.

Votes: 75 78.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For many people, this question comes down to
  • 40 miles of extra range you'll never drop into, or
  • Cost of Supercharging past the annual 400kWh threshold that you'll never exceed
I paid $2K back in 2013 to enable "free" Supercharging, and can't say I've had $2K value out of it, having charged just a few times each year. Realistically I (and I guess many people) are not road-tripping as often as they dream of.

I switched to 100D based on
  • my real-world usage of Superchargers
  • for better local range especially in cold weather
  • if I do start doing Supercharged trips, charging will be faster
  • and that some trips will now be entirely Supercharger-free, e.g. Austin to Dallas.

Final bullet offers the best of both worlds - zero time waiting, and $0 to charge!

• Love
Reactions: GSP
An update: I did call and cancel my "sc for life" deposit. It was extremely easy and cordial. More on that in a bit.

Before starting this thread, I was on the irate side. I was planning how to work the system with some calculated complaining and/or trying to slip past an uninformed manager. I actually came to this forum for ideas. Surely someone else had to be in the same situation, right? Instead of ideas to cheat the system, I found some very civil and friendly perspective.

So to the call: I comfortably made up my mind that I wanted the 100D X. I kindly explained to the rep that was the reason for the cancel of the 90D. I didn't try to work the system and the rep didn't try talk me out of it. I was half expecting a "Are you sure you want to do that? The 90D isn't much different... free charging... etc." but there wasn't any. It was a very short and friendly call. The rep didn't even try to talk me into placing the order for the 100D at that time. It was a little surreal in a good way and it makes me respect Tesla even more... and actually kinda want a Tesla even more.

An update: I did call and cancel my "sc for life" deposit. It was extremely easy and cordial. More on that in a bit.

Before starting this thread, I was on the irate side. I was planning how to work the system with some calculated complaining and/or trying to slip past an uninformed manager. I actually came to this forum for ideas. Surely someone else had to be in the same situation, right? Instead of ideas to cheat the system, I found some very civil and friendly perspective.

So to the call: I comfortably made up my mind that I wanted the 100D X. I kindly explained to the rep that was the reason for the cancel of the 90D. I didn't try to work the system and the rep didn't try talk me out of it. I was half expecting a "Are you sure you want to do that? The 90D isn't much different... free charging... etc." but there wasn't any. It was a very short and friendly call. The rep didn't even try to talk me into placing the order for the 100D at that time. It was a little surreal in a good way and it makes me respect Tesla even more... and actually kinda want a Tesla even more.
@chamberz were you able to place the new order on the phone?

I placed and changed my order from 60D to 100D. Did they require you to submit another down payment? I told my DS that I had already done it once and didn't want to do it again. also did your cancelled order get changed in your mytesla page? thanks

@chamberz were you able to place the new order on the phone?
Sort of. I actually didn't place the new order yet. I asked about what would happen with the $2500 deposit and they said it could be refunded. Rather than wait for that to happen, I asked them to just hold it (I'm nice that way). Not having the free-charge-pressure window and no super rush (closing on house in March) I wanted to tweak the configuration a little more. They said once I am happy with the configuration to just call.

did your cancelled order get changed in your mytesla page?
NO, but the rep I talked with on Saturday said not to be alarmed that it would not change right away. He even warned me that I would be getting a "Your order is confirmed." email on Sunday. Which I did. But I called in today just to clarify and they said the 90D was indeed cancelled. As of today (Tuesday), it would appear the X is still in production on mytesla page. Maybe I will accidentally get two Tesla's out of the deal?

• Funny
Reactions: NikeWings
Sort of. I actually didn't place the new order yet. I asked about what would happen with the $2500 deposit and they said it could be refunded. Rather than wait for that to happen, I asked them to just hold it (I'm nice that way). Not having the free-charge-pressure window and no super rush (closing on house in March) I wanted to tweak the configuration a little more. They said once I am happy with the configuration to just call.

NO, but the rep I talked with on Saturday said not to be alarmed that it would not change right away. He even warned me that I would be getting a "Your order is confirmed." email on Sunday. Which I did. But I called in today just to clarify and they said the 90D was indeed cancelled. As of today (Tuesday), it would appear the X is still in production on mytesla page. Maybe I will accidentally get two Tesla's out of the deal?
2 teslas- one for every other day. :) mine is still showing the previous 60D order and now the new 100D order.

I am in Europe and changed my 90D order (which already had a VIN but was not yet in production) to a 100D. The DS submitted the request on Friday and it was updated in My Tesla on Tuesday (yesterday). The VIN and RN didn't change and the delivery date stayed the same. Here in Europe we don't have to pay a change fee (the $500 fee does not exist), but on the other side the 100D upgrade costs about $7200 instead of $3k in the US.

i changed it on monday (Jan 23rd) and paid the change fee yesterday. I haven't seen a change yet on mytesla. I wonder how many people are going to change too. so glad to be a 100D owner. just really anxious now for the delivery time frame. I think I was told late March would be soonest car could be shipped. I am thinking more likely mid to late April.

i changed it on monday (Jan 23rd) and paid the change fee yesterday. I haven't seen a change yet on mytesla. I wonder how many people are going to change too. so glad to be a 100D owner. just really anxious now for the delivery time frame. I think I was told late March would be soonest car could be shipped. I am thinking more likely mid to late April.

Mid April would definitely be better than late March. Don't want to get caught up if the end of quarter rush to deliver cars. My owner's rep has mine set up for earliest available, and I'm waiting for My Tesla to show the delivery time frame. If it shows up as late March, I'm going to get it changed to April. But the widespread speculation is that they won't come out till April.

I changed from a 90D to a 100D the day it was announced (1/20, I believe). Extra $500 was charged to my cc on 1/21.
My Tesla updated about five or six days later, changing from showing a 90D to a 100D (I also changed from 5 seats to 6). My VIN & delivery time frame didn't change in My Tesla.
My DS/OA emailed me an updated pro forma agreement showing the 100D and new cost, as well as a credit for the 90D that I had and traded in a few weeks ago (traded in bc I want HW2.0). That document shows a delivery date of 3/21.
DS says my car is (still) scheduled to go into production on 2/13.

I changed from a 90D to a 100D the day it was announced (1/20, I believe). Extra $500 was charged to my cc on 1/21.
My Tesla updated about five or six days later, changing from showing a 90D to a 100D (I also changed from 5 seats to 6). My VIN & delivery time frame didn't change in My Tesla.
My DS/OA emailed me an updated pro forma agreement showing the 100D and new cost, as well as a credit for the 90D that I had and traded in a few weeks ago (traded in bc I want HW2.0). That document shows a delivery date of 3/21.
DS says my car is (still) scheduled to go into production on 2/13.

nice congrats! I am still awaiting for my order to change on my tesla page. It still has my previous order on it.

If it doesn't update in 7-10 days, you might want to contact your DS.
One thing about Tesla is that there's a lot of waiting... For this, then for the vehicle, then to get window tint installed (gets rid of the ghosting issues), then for the next software update...
I had my X for 5 months and it was just an absolute delight to drive. My husband is on his second S (HW2), and that's fun to drive, too, but I really prefer the height of the X.
I am getting impatient again. I'd like my car now, please.

OP update here. My plot thickened. Here is a summary:
  1. Originally called on 1/14. Was assured that if I ordered that day, I would have THROUGH the following Saturday to configure and/or cancel the order with a full deposit refund. I specifically remember this because I originally called to clarify a few questions before ordering 1/15, the last day to get a deposit in and be confirmed for free SC charging for life. The rep basically said "Might as well do it now." because I would have through the 21st. I went ahead with the deposit. I have the name of the rep I talked with.
  2. 1/16. Test drove Model X. Once again, I specifically asked how long the configuration window was. Was assured again through the following Saturday. Worked with a different rep, who I also have the name of.
  3. 1/20. 100D option introduced by Tesla. That is what prompted me to start this thread.
  4. 1/21. With great feedback from this forum, decided to cancel the $2500 MX 90D "free life SC" deposit AND order and relax a while while I configured a 100D. I phoned the number as instructed here. The Tesla employee (yet a different person, who I also have the name of) I talked with politely accepted my cancellation. I specifically asked if it would in fact be cancelled since he was the nth person I'd talked to and he assured me it would be. He said not to be alarmed by any email notifications I would receive on Sunday confirming the order and that he would notify the showroom from which I placed the order and they would contact me early in the week. He specifically mentioned yet another Tesla rep, since my test-drive rep was on vacation.
  5. As of yesterday, 1/27, I was getting suspicious after not hearing from the showroom. I called today and was told the order was not cancelled "But they would be flexible and allow me to still change the order without incurring any additional penalties."
Ok. This pissed me off and on principle alone makes me want to flat out cancel or at least wait until the full $2500 deposit is refunded before making any other decisions. A couple of email exchanges repeated essentially the same thing. "The order wasn't cancelled but we will do you a favor...". Now they are pressuring me to complete the order switch to the 100D "because time is of the essence". Which, again, I had planned on all along BUT I am highly averse to being told I am wrong on something I am certain I am right. I am in absolute no hurry to order the Tesla. The only reason I was previously was because of the "free charging for life" window closing. After I cancelled the order on 1/21, I was thinking I would take a couple of mentally-comfortable weeks to weigh options. I really think something was dropped between the multiple respectively-low Tesla employees I worked with.

Should I fight it? Just settle? FWIW, if anyone else cancels within their "configuration window" get all kinds of names and written confirmation.

Should I fight it? Just settle? FWIW, if anyone else cancels within their "configuration window" get all kinds of names and written confirmation.

I would proceed with the 100d. There are always going to be advancements I have a x90d in production that I was unable to upgrade to a 100d due to production schedule even when I would pay the $3500 change cost.

I think this one is best to count your blessing and disregard the wrongdoing to move forward with the awesome x100d.

1. Originally called on 1/14. Was assured that if I ordered that day, I would have THROUGH the following Saturday to configure and/or cancel the order with a full deposit refund. I specifically remember this because I originally called to clarify a few questions before ordering 1/15, the last day to get a deposit in and be confirmed for free SC charging for life. The rep basically said "Might as well do it now." because I would have through the 21st. I went ahead with the deposit. I have the name of the rep I talked with.
  2. 1/16. Test drove Model X. Once again, I specifically asked how long the configuration window was. Was assured again through the following Saturday. Worked with a different rep, who I also have the name of.
  3. 1/20. 100D option introduced by Tesla. That is what prompted me to start this thread.
  4. 1/21. With great feedback from this forum, decided to cancel the $2500 MX 90D "free life SC" deposit AND order and relax a while while I configured a 100D. I phoned the number as instructed here. The Tesla employee (yet a different person, who I also have the name of) I talked with politely accepted my cancellation. I specifically asked if it would in fact be cancelled since he was the nth person I'd talked to and he assured me it would be. He said not to be alarmed by any email notifications I would receive on Sunday confirming the order and that he would notify the showroom from which I placed the order and they would contact me early in the week. He specifically mentioned yet another Tesla rep, since my test-drive rep was on vacation.
  5. As of yesterday, 1/27, I was getting suspicious after not hearing from the showroom. I called today and was told the order was not cancelled "But they would be flexible and allow me to still change the order without incurring any additional penalties."
Ok. This pissed me off and on principle alone makes me want to flat out cancel or at least wait until the full $2500 deposit is refunded before making any other decisions. A couple of email exchanges repeated essentially the same thing. "The order wasn't cancelled but we will do you a favor...". Now they are pressuring me to complete the order switch to the 100D "because time is of the essence". Which, again, I had planned on all along BUT I am highly averse to being told I am wrong on something I am certain I am right. I am in absolute no hurry to order the Tesla. The only reason I was previously was because of the "free charging for life" window closing. After I cancelled the order on 1/21, I was thinking I would take a couple of mentally-comfortable weeks to weigh options. I really think something was dropped between the multiple respectively-low Tesla employees I worked with.

I completely understand your frustration! The catch is that there's no better car out there (in my opinion, obviously), in terms of safety as well as sheer driving enjoyment. So if you're able to set aside the sting of Tesla's errors in your order/working with you, I think you'll be better off in the long run. In other words, not having the car will definitely hurt you more than it will Tesla.
And I'd get the 100D. In fact, I did . (Second X.)

• Helpful
Reactions: chamberz
OP- I wouldn't be disheartened by what happened with your cancellation. I understand your frustration. When dealing with the transfer of my deposit and switch from 60D to 100D, I get a feeling of controlled chaos. Like someone at Fremont barely keeping up with change of orders. I think of Tesla like a start up company. things will be made right even if there are mistakes happen. the best you can do is to be patient and keep paper trail of it all to prove what has happened.

• Helpful

Sorry to hear that, clearly the cancellation wasn't registered for whatever reason - I'm quite certain you did everything right. Too bad Tesla doesn't seem to want to look into it / admint a mistake - or apparently even the possibility of a mistake - on their part...

I would take the refund. Wait, regroup. Q2 may well bring product improvements once again to Teslas, so you might as well wait and not feel pressured into a decision. I doubt you would regret the wait. FUSC and ventilated seats are gone, the likehood of something else going worse seems small, but historically the chances of something getting better is high.

So, unless you have some pressing need for a Tesla, just wait until mid-/late-Q2 and see if something changes and how you feel then.

• Helpful