Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Placed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) AP 2.0 is still probably a long way away. I would guess at least a year.
2) The "master plan" is not going to change the price of the car or the value of the existing cars. If there is anything to do with the Model 3 it will just be an update.
3) The price of the Model S is not going down.

Agree, like any other gadget there is always something new about to come out... Honestly, as a computer scientist I would love to wait for AP 2.0 to see if it's Level 3 autonomous; however, I'm more excited about getting off of petroleum based transport & even adaptive cruise control w/ the existing AP is all I'd want on the majority of occasions. The lane keeping for extremely long drives would be nice too... I can't see myself using AP around town to the point where AP 2.0 as a L3 autonomous driving experience would make sense for me. Now if it can work on 2 lane highways without dividers that might be nice.

Reactions: GasKilla and e-FTW
Agree, like any other gadget there is always something new about to come out... Honestly, as a computer scientist I would love to wait for AP 2.0 to see if it's Level 3 autonomous; however, I'm more excited about getting off of petroleum based transport & even adaptive cruise control w/ the existing AP is all I'd want on the majority of occasions. The lane keeping for extremely long drives would be nice too... I can't see myself using AP around town to the point where AP 2.0 as a L3 autonomous driving experience would make sense for me. Now if it can work on 2 lane highways without dividers that might be nice.

As a fellow computer scientist, I'm hoping that it's L3 too. My primary requirement for AP is that stop when it sees a red light or a stopped vehicle. Gunning at 70mph towards a vehicle stopped at a red light was unnerving to say the least, on my test drive :( And yes, I was on a 4-lane highway but there are lights on some :)

Reactions: javawolfpack
Sorry for your loss ;)

But agreed to do what's best for you and your specific scenario.

I could care less about AP2 until my tesla can drive itself autonomously they will all be incremental upgrades that do not enhance the way I will use AP that much right now.

I'd be waiting forever for the next big thing.

Reactions: e-FTW
Sorry for your loss ;)

But agreed to do what's best for you and your specific scenario.

I could care less about AP2 until my tesla can drive itself autonomously they will all be incremental upgrades that do not enhance the way I will use AP that much right now.

I'd be waiting forever for the next big thing.
Yea, I used to be like that but now as long as the new thing is better than the old thing I don't worry so much about the future thing.

@AustinPowers Just call your DS. They will handle it for you. Easy process. We did it with the Model X we had on order. They will send you your deposit back, or they will hold it for a future purchase. Do it before your 7-day waiting period is up, though.
Thank you much. I will send my DS a note.

Now the OA cancelled my Model 3 reservation since we were told we would be able to get ahead in the line. Would my previous reservation be reinstated or we have technically lost our spot now?

Oh wow, I'd never cancel my order for the reasons given, Austin Powers. It seems to me you have been greatly misled by the media. You are definitely pulling out on a great EV, but well, each on their own, and good luck waiting, there will always be a next generation. No buyers regret here, it certainly is the right time now, you just have to believe in it.

Reactions: linkster and e-FTW
You guys are not making this easy for me, are you? :D What if I delayed delivery until late in the year? Does Tesla auto-upgrade hardware on those units?
You will then get whatever hardware is current at the time. There are some people that ordered now but are delaying until toward the end of the year for various reason from hoping to get newer hardware to timing it to coninside with the end of a lease.

Reactions: Austin Powers
I could go on, but at some point, you will just need to do the following:
keep-calm-and-just-do-it-345.png

Reactions: ggnykk
Quick update, friends: I'm canceling my order.

I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Here are some reasons.

1. Autopilot 2.0. With the recent events surrounding AP, I'm pretty confident 2.0 is coming sooner than we thought. And it will involve Hardware upgrades. Looking at a Sept delivery, I don't want to be stuck with a car that is obsolete right after delivery (saw this from some threads back when AP 1.0 came out). Also, TBH, AP in it's current state didn't impress me (I brought that up in another thread).

2. Elon's Master Plan: I would like to know more about what Elon has on his mind and it looks like he will do the reveal in the next few weeks.

3. Price drops: It is looking more and more that Tesla is trying to release some pressure from Model 3 orders by discounting S and X. They just released the X 60D this morning.

I know that Tesla will continue to innovate at a rapid pace and no matter when I decide to buy, there will always be something better coming out right after. However, given the info I have at hand, don't think I'm ready to bite the bullet yet :) Will be back in the market in a few months but will continue to lurk on this wonderful forum. Thanks :)
I thought canceling your order would cost you couple thousands dollar?

You can simply pick the latest possible delivery date (Dec of this year or early next year), and you would pretty much negate all the points you made above. Plus, you don't have to pay the penalty for canceling.

I thought canceling your order would cost you couple thousands dollar?

You can simply pick the latest possible delivery date (Dec of this year or early next year), and you would pretty much negate all the points you made above. Plus, you don't have to pay the penalty for canceling.

Will check with my DS tomorrow about delayed delivery. I can cancel before Sunday without a penalty.

Reactions: e-FTW and ggnykk
Like everyone else I'm thinking about AP 2.0 too, and if I get it then great, but I decided I wouldn't stress about timing the transition. My primary objective is to get a car that's safe, does well in snow and ice, and reduces the stress of long interstate trips, and the model S of today does all that. I assume I'll be picking up a fully autonomous model 3 a few years down the road anyway, when batteries are that much more advanced and the seats lay flat for naps and have pull-out work tables.

Quick update, friends: I'm canceling my order.

I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Here are some reasons.

1. Autopilot 2.0. With the recent events surrounding AP, I'm pretty confident 2.0 is coming sooner than we thought. And it will involve Hardware upgrades. Looking at a Sept delivery, I don't want to be stuck with a car that is obsolete right after delivery (saw this from some threads back when AP 1.0 came out). Also, TBH, AP in it's current state didn't impress me (I brought that up in another thread).

2. Elon's Master Plan: I would like to know more about what Elon has on his mind and it looks like he will do the reveal in the next few weeks.

3. Price drops: It is looking more and more that Tesla is trying to release some pressure from Model 3 orders by discounting S and X. They just released the X 60D this morning.

I know that Tesla will continue to innovate at a rapid pace and no matter when I decide to buy, there will always be something better coming out right after. However, given the info I have at hand, don't think I'm ready to bite the bullet yet :) Will be back in the market in a few months but will continue to lurk on this wonderful forum. Thanks :)
As Elon has said the best time to buy a Tesla is now. They make hundreds of improvements every week. If you are waiting for the next upgrade you'll be waiting forever and never get a Tesla.

Are pre-autopilot cars obsolete? They are pretty amazing without AP and the current AP is better than anything else on the road and still will be whenever the 2.0 comes out. Is your smartphone obsolete because a new version was released? So point #2 isn't accurate.

As far as the master plan goes you should read the first one here The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) I'll be willing to bet the new master plan has more to do with the synergy between Tesla Motors, Tesla Energy, and Solarcity (and perhaps fully autonomous cars) than anything to do with actual timelines on MS improvements.

Wait if you want but you will always find a reason to keep waiting.