Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Preparations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i ordered my vehicle,
I know i need a home charger ordered that.
Is there a list or something about what all to do after?
Like get a chargepoint card just in case (even for the free locations) ?
Etc?

Only 5 months of Tesla ownership, so others know better, but I only need my home wall charger. No charge point card needed so far. Once I needed to use a Tesla destination wall charger I found on the plugshare.com site after an unusual driving day. It was a hotel with open free access in the parking lot, but the drinks for 4 passengers were not free, but good :). I went with the wall charger 8.5' cord located between 2 garage doors, and a second one for the Model 3 this? year.

20160914_003213891_iOS.jpg

20160914_003229994_iOS.jpg

Reactions: pilotSteve
Whats the benefit of the home charger? The people at the store and one friend told me I didn't need the home charger? Just trying to figure out the benefit I assume it is speed of charging?

You technically don't need one, but here are reasons you might want one:
  1. It will definitely charge faster than a simple 110 outlet (29mph @ 240V/40a vs. 4mph @ 100V/15a)
  2. If you were thinking of using the mobile connector from a 240V outlet, that will work, but only up to 40 amps. The standard charger in the car does 48 amps and the wall connector can supply the full 48, which will give you a tiny bit more speed.
  3. If you ordered a car with the 72 amp charger, you'd need the wall connector to provide that many amps, otherwise you have an underutilized feature you paid for.
  4. Convenience.
Also, some people don't like the fact that the mobile connector that plugs into the wall tends to get warm. Not that it's dangerous, but some seem to feel it will cause it to wear out more quickly, so they save it for when they are not at home. That is purely anecdotal.

I am getting a wall connector because of the convenience and to ensure I can supply the full 48 amps. But it is completely reasonable to just use the mobile connector with a NEMA 14-50 outlet @240V/40a, or even a normal outlet if you don't mind the longer charge times.

I'm sure others with more knowledge can fill in any holes I left.

Only 5 months of Tesla ownership, so others know better, but I only need my home wall charger. No charge point card needed so far. Once I needed to use a Tesla destination wall charger I found on the plugshare.com site after an unusual driving day. It was a hotel with open free access in the parking lot, but the drinks for 4 passengers were not free, but good :). I went with the wall charger 8.5' cord located between 2 garage doors, and a second one for the Model 3 this? year.

View attachment 208857
View attachment 208858

Are you doing a powershare to the other charger?