Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order timeline confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I placed an order for my Model Y Performance this morning and the initial splash page said 1-2 weeks for delivery. However, after confirming my deposit, that flipped to 1-10 weeks, big difference, lol. Does anyone have recent experiences with the delivery timelines? I'm rolling off of an existing lease very soon, so 10 weeks is not going to work.

It just depends. If they can find something that fits your build, they will try to get you in it ASAP, since it's quarter end. But honestly, the dates change and float a lot. I ordered on 3/10 (showed 1-10 weeks), 3/11 - received VIN, 3/13 got a note to schedule pick up, 3/21 - pick up day. So if nothig changes, fingers crossed, it would be 11 days total from order to car.

The change in dates is really frustrating, particularly because of the lack of explanation. I understand that they would try to first fulfill the order with existing stock (hence the short deadline) and then move it to a longer wait if the car needs to be built. But zero explanation. I ordered a LR a few weeks ago and it was quickly assigned a VIN (it was in stock nearby, clearly). The new headlights (and heated steering and console) were important to me, so I asked repeatedly of my agent if she could confirm they would be in the car. She said she checked and they were on. So we went to pick up the car... surprise, no new headlights. After confirming what has been said multiple times here in the forum, we decided to change the order to MYP. The site was updated with the new configuration within two days. It had a timeframe of 27-31 March. Then, last Friday it moved to 28-31 March. Then, on Saturday... blank. It has been blank since. I called and emailed to inquire why, no good explanation. Meanwhile, Tesla also extended the website timeframe to 1-10 weeks. There's been all kinds of conjectures offered here (and elsewhere), from the damage to the megapress last week, to issues with semiconductors availability. I just wish they were a bit more candid with the information.

The change in dates is really frustrating, particularly because of the lack of explanation. I understand that they would try to first fulfill the order with existing stock (hence the short deadline) and then move it to a longer wait if the car needs to be built. But zero explanation. I ordered a LR a few weeks ago and it was quickly assigned a VIN (it was in stock nearby, clearly). The new headlights (and heated steering and console) were important to me, so I asked repeatedly of my agent if she could confirm they would be in the car. She said she checked and they were on. So we went to pick up the car... surprise, no new headlights. After confirming what has been said multiple times here in the forum, we decided to change the order to MYP. The site was updated with the new configuration within two days. It had a timeframe of 27-31 March. Then, last Friday it moved to 28-31 March. Then, on Saturday... blank. It has been blank since. I called and emailed to inquire why, no good explanation. Meanwhile, Tesla also extended the website timeframe to 1-10 weeks. There's been all kinds of conjectures offered here (and elsewhere), from the damage to the megapress last week, to issues with semiconductors availability. I just wish they were a bit more candid with the information.
Yeah it's really odd. Not five minutes after I posted this, I received a VIN and a 3/31 delivery date. I know for a fact that there weren't any new builds like mine out there, so who knows.

I placed my order for a MYLR on 3/11 and the website wait time was listed as 1-10 weeks. The Tesla associate I was working with estimated 8 weeks. I looked at my account on 3/15 and a VIN was already assigned. I spoke with the associate today and scheduled delivery for 3/25.

I was hoping to take delivery prior to the expiration of my current lease in May, so I will end up with a month overlap.

I placed my order for a MYLR on 3/11 and the website wait time was listed as 1-10 weeks. The Tesla associate I was working with estimated 8 weeks. I looked at my account on 3/15 and a VIN was already assigned. I spoke with the associate today and scheduled delivery for 3/25.

I was hoping to take delivery prior to the expiration of my current lease in May, so I will end up with a month overlap.
I think those ranges are a fairly accurate representation of when you are likely to receive the car, the issue is that at certain times in the quarter/build cycle the ranges can become quite large depending on where you are located in the US and where they are in their production cycle for the quarter. It's basically saying best case 1 week if they can find an existing car, worst case 10 weeks because they will need to wait until the next expected build cycle for your specific model and location. Looks like in your case they were able to find you a car.

I think those ranges are a fairly accurate representation of when you are likely to receive the car, the issue is that at certain times in the quarter/build cycle the ranges can become quite large depending on where you are located in the US and where they are in their production cycle for the quarter. It's basically saying best case 1 week if they can find an existing car, worst case 10 weeks because they will need to wait until the next expected build cycle for your specific model and location. Looks like in your case they were able to find you a car.
I talked to my showroom rep today. Ordered MYLR yesterday, but cutoff for custom builds was 10 days ago, doesn’t expect delivery until end of May/June. Switching production back over for European builds for next quarter.

I talked to my showroom rep today. Ordered MYLR yesterday, but cutoff for custom builds was 10 days ago, doesn’t expect delivery until end of May/June. Switching production back over for European builds for next quarter.
Oh, this is indeed a bummer. I wish they would be more forthcoming with this info. I will say that I am not very impressed with what I get from the reps. I’ve read many times that reps do not have much more info than what we get on the web ourselves. Got to say it feels true. My rep confirmed that my original LR order would have the new headlights. It did not. So we switched to Performance. I had a delivery range for late in this month that has now disappeared. Reps have told me the dates that originally showed is what they are “aiming” for. I could not get a definition of what they meant for that. Now, i guess it may mean that my new configuration was delayed till end may, maybe June. (assuming, inter alia, that your rep is one of the rare ones truly in the know)

Hi everyone. I placed an order for my Model Y Performance this morning and the initial splash page said 1-2 weeks for delivery. However, after confirming my deposit, that flipped to 1-10 weeks, big difference, lol. Does anyone have recent experiences with the delivery timelines? I'm rolling off of an existing lease very soon, so 10 weeks is not going to work.
What is your build? There are plenty of demo MYPs available. With up to $3500 in discounts. You can ask your SA if any of those available match your specific build.

If that's true, it would suck big time for me (ordered placed 3/11 and completed yesterday).
Since are in CA you are more likely to get a car before end of quarter because they don’t need to factor in a week to truck across the country.

For others who are frustrated with the process, it is pretty well documented here how it works. You are posting here so it can be assumed you have searched and researched before ordering so this shouldn’t come as a surprise to you. Tesla does thing differently that other car manufactures. Sometimes that benefits you, sometimes it drives you crazy. If you aren’t willing to put up with this for the car you receive then maybe Tesla isn’t for you. Maybe you’d rather put in a reservation on a VW to have it delayed for months due to horrible software. Or be stuck with what’s on your local dealers lot and have to wait for the right vehicle to be made and allocated to your area.

Here’s the mess I’ve been seeing for ours. It’s frustrating as hell

Ordered 4/15

5/9-5/29

5/29-6/18

5/8-5/28

5/9-5/29

6/6-6/26

6/9-6/29

6/6-6/26

6/9-6/29

6/6-6/26

5/7-5/27

5/8-5/27

5/20-6/9

5/19-6/8

5/21-6/10

6/9-6/29

6/18-6/30

6/10-6/30

6/11-6/30

6/28…3-13 weeks

I was happy to order but given the forever changing delivery date makes me feel as tho it’ll never come while they bank off all our deposit maybe tesla hopes we cancel so they can keep all the tons of deposits they get I feel frustrated angry to the point of hatred for tesla their lack of respect for us customers given that I don’t see their history stretching too too far into the future … #nicecars&terriblecommunications