Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order to delivery times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

What are total order to delivery times really like in your experience? I had read in the Tesla FAQs that 3-4 months to the UK was the norm, yet the order website currently has estimated delivery in June. And I think I saw c. 60 days on here but I can't find it now. Model S if that makes a difference.

I assumed on ordering the June estimate would be nonsense but it seems odd they wouldn't give a realistic estimate based on historic actuals even if they have no accurate view, so perhaps not?

Hi. I ordered an MX in the third week of March and had a call from Tesla saying that the car would be with me on the first week of June. Subsequently Tesla let me change (re-order) my order to accommodate the new changes which has pushed things back a few weeks and they’ve now said that I’ll get it the last week of June.

So in both cases it would have been 5-6 weeks since ordering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harrow Y
Hi. I ordered an MX in the third week of March and had a call from Tesla saying that the car would be with me on the first week of June. Subsequently Tesla let me change (re-order) my order to accommodate the new changes which has pushed things back a few weeks and they’ve now said that I’ll get it the last week of June.

So in both cases it would have been 5-6 weeks since ordering.

Not sure I understand the 5-6 weeks? 3rd wk of March to first week June c. 11 weeks from order to what delivery would've been without the change?

Lol. What happened to April?! Yes you are right it would have been about 10 weeks, but the new order they have “promised” will be a bit quicker. Ordered the start of May with end of June delivery.

There is a thread on delivery times I think on the MX order and production forum that might be worth checking out.

This timeline is pretty reliable. I'm pretty sure the routing hasn't changed and the bulk of it is crossing from Fremont to Houston on the slowest freight train in the world.

8804BD2D-5991-420A-B6B7-C55C287D1E26.jpeg

Reactions: Roy W.
Lol. What happened to April?! Yes you are right it would have been about 10 weeks, but the new order they have “promised” will be a bit quicker. Ordered the start of May with end of June delivery.

There is a thread on delivery times I think on the MX order and production forum that might be worth checking out.

I ordered 7th May but that was the start rather than a change. So behind you but hopefully not far. 2 months after build end I guess means late July.

I ordered a new MS March 18th and the suggested delivery was May. I have spoken by email with them yesterday and the latest situation is as follows:-

I have just looked at your account and it looks like your Model S has finished production and left the factory in Fremont, California on the 3rd May to start its journey across America to the port. This part of the journey is usually the longest and can take anywhere up to 4 weeks dependent on logistics.

We usually say as a rule of thumb for a custom order it would normally take around 3 months from start to finish. As your order was first placed towards the end of March, I imagine your collection is more likely to take place towards the end of June as an estimate. However as it is still early days into the journey, it is quite hard to predict a more accurate date as I am sure you can appreciate.

So this suggests from order to delivery is in the region of 15-16 weeks - that's providing it's available when they anticipate!:rolleyes:

It depends what you are ordering, I found an exact match for my preferred spec that was already in Europe but had not yet left the distribution centre so my time from order to delivery was just over a week.

A WEEK!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O That’s the stuff of dreams :). I ordered on the 30th Oct and the car didn’t go into build until 22nd Dec. Timeline was then as above in the screenshot. it’s 8 weeks ish from end of build.

Longest wait ever. But worth it :D

A WEEK!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O That’s the stuff of dreams :). I ordered on the 30th Oct and the car didn’t go into build until 22nd Dec. Timeline was then as above in the screenshot. it’s 8 weeks ish from end of build.

Longest wait ever. But worth it :D

On that time line mine might not go into build until July...

That's more like the tesla way of doing things I've heard about!

I ordered my Model S on 16th March and it's due for collection 'early June'.

When I ordered, the predicted time was for the end of May. In my experience it's taken about 2 weeks to be made and 2 weeks to get transported from Fremont to Houston.

I ordered my Model S on 16th March and it's due for collection 'early June'.

When I ordered, the predicted time was for the end of May. In my experience it's taken about 2 weeks to be made and 2 weeks to get transported from Fremont to Houston.

‘Early June’ means the first two weeks of June, and ‘late’ means the last two weeks of the month. You can be sure, as can @LukeT, that delivery will defo be by the end of the quarter. My advice would be to go for as early a delivery as you can, when the ‘available for collection’ window opens. The nearer to the end of the quarter the less time they have for PDI’s and sorting out any niggles.

‘Early June’ means the first two weeks of June, and ‘late’ means the last two weeks of the month. You can be sure, as can @LukeT, that delivery will defo be by the end of the quarter. My advice would be to go for as early a delivery as you can, when the ‘available for collection’ window opens. The nearer to the end of the quarter the less time they have for PDI’s and sorting out any niggles.

If I get mine by the quarter end that would be 55 days total from placing order to delivery. Rightly or wrongly I assumed that fairly unlikely.

Are RHD Model S assembled in the US rather than via the Netherlands?

Here's a good guide put together a couple of years ago, but still relevant. Whilst I and a couple of other loonies were waiting for ours we even tracked down webcams at Houston / Norfolk and Holland in an attempt to view the Maersk container ships arriving at port o_O. This was Jan/March '17 when the race was on to make sure the cars were registered before 1st April when the luxury car tax kicked in.

The cars arrive as "parts" and avoid import tax.

Tracking your Tesla from the factory to the UK

Reactions: AidenL and vitesse