Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order to PTO Submission Timeline (36 Days) - San Jose, CA - PG&E

g5mY

Oct 2, 2020
San Jose
Had this in another thread, but in case anyone searches for San Jose, CA; Tesla and PG&E

Located in San Jose, CA.

2/17 - Ordered: Changed design in first week to match what other companies said would be the most producing; This took some going back and forth - Never a problem getting a hold of sales advisor by phone, but just delay in the plan being updated.

2/26 - Agreement Signed

3/11 - Assessment Team came out; Said I needed an MPU Upgrade since I have a 100amp single switch

3/13 - Got Text Install is scheduled; I guess I don't need a MPU Upgrade. Called Tesla and they said they are good with panel and work around it without doing MPU.

3/18 - Installed; Arrived at 7am; 6 person crew - done by 4pm; Installed a second panel underneath my main panel and tied it in inverter there.

3/23 - Got a call in the evening that City of San Jose inspector coming out the next day. Tesla will call and give a time window.

3/24 - Got a call at 7:30am from Tesla saying City will be there at 8am and they'll be there a couple minutes before. City inspector wanted a thicker ground wire. Rep called a team - they were there in less than 30 minutes and replaced the ground wire. City passed the inspection. Later in the evening got the invoice to pay.

3/25 (Today @ 8am) - Wanted to use a credit card; Called Tesla Billing and paid with my CC.

3/25 (Today @ 8:30am) - Received PGE emails about PTO Submission; Signed Agreement.

PTO submission to PTO approval - Let's see.

Overall, once you're in the pipeline to get the process moving, it's been pretty handsfree. I thought I'd be dealing with a lot more based on what I was reading on reviews, etc. Decided with Tesla since it was $8k-17k cheaper than the other 10 estimates I got over the last couple months. Just waiting for PTO now, which the Tesla inspector approximated 2-4 weeks. We'll see since every estimate of time I have been given has been a lot longer than the event occuring..

Vines

Jul 20, 2018
Silicon Valley, CA
Had this in another thread, but in case anyone searches for San Jose, CA; Tesla and PG&E

Located in San Jose, CA.

2/17 - Ordered: Changed design in first week to match what other companies said would be the most producing; This took some going back and forth - Never a problem getting a hold of sales advisor by phone, but just delay in the plan being updated.

2/26 - Agreement Signed

3/11 - Assessment Team came out; Said I needed an MPU Upgrade since I have a 100amp single switch

3/13 - Got Text Install is scheduled; I guess I don't need a MPU Upgrade. Called Tesla and they said they are good with panel and work around it without doing MPU.

3/18 - Installed; Arrived at 7am; 6 person crew - done by 4pm; Installed a second panel underneath my main panel and tied it in inverter there.

3/23 - Got a call in the evening that City of San Jose inspector coming out the next day. Tesla will call and give a time window.

3/24 - Got a call at 7:30am from Tesla saying City will be there at 8am and they'll be there a couple minutes before. City inspector wanted a thicker ground wire. Rep called a team - they were there in less than 30 minutes and replaced the ground wire. City passed the inspection. Later in the evening got the invoice to pay.

3/25 (Today @ 8am) - Wanted to use a credit card; Called Tesla Billing and paid with my CC.

3/25 (Today @ 8:30am) - Received PGE emails about PTO Submission; Signed Agreement.

Overall, once you're in the pipeline to get the process moving, it's been pretty handsfree. I thought I'd be dealing with a lot more based on what I was reading on reviews, etc. Decided with Tesla since it was $8k-17k cheaper than the other 10 estimates I got over the last couple months. Just waiting for PTO now, which the Tesla inspector approximated 2-4 weeks. We'll see since every estimate of time I have been given has been a lot longer than the event occuring..
San Jose is a dream to get a permit. Its online, and you get it without any review.

Glad to hear your install was so quick and easy, and passed final inspection without too much trouble.

Reactions: holeydonut and g5mY

cali8484

Jul 8, 2018
California

Located in San Jose, CA.

2/26 - Agreement Signed

What did you get installed?

5150Code3

Mar 15, 2021
NorCal
Contra Costa county in NorCal. Added 12 panels and a PW to an existing Tesla 11 panel prepaid lease.

3/05 - Passed inspection
3/06 - Paid for system (CCard)
3/12 - Received PGE Interconnection Request Confirmation
3/17 - Received PTO

g5mY

Oct 2, 2020
San Jose
Contra Costa county in NorCal. Added 12 panels and a PW to an existing Tesla 11 panel prepaid lease.

3/05 - Passed inspection
3/06 - Paid for system (CCard)
3/12 - Received PGE Interconnection Request Confirmation
3/17 - Received PTO
That’s quick. Was it because you already had a system operating?

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Well I have prior PTOs on solar and PWs and my net new 5kW Solar Roof add on is now over three months after install, payment and inspection without a PTO (on PG&E too).

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
I wrote to Tesla Customer Support and got an email back that stated they submitted the PTO request and it was rejected. Nothing more. No reason. No estimate of new submission or action taken.:mad:

g5mY

Oct 2, 2020
San Jose
I wrote to Tesla Customer Support and got an email back that stated they submitted the PTO request and it was rejected. Nothing more. No reason. No estimate of new submission or action taken.:mad:
That's not good. Have you called PG&E with your reference number to see why it was rejected? Might need to connect Tesla with PGE on the same email thread to sort it it.

I called PGE yesterday to just make sure they had everything. The Rep said they got everything and it was just being reviewed.

SaveOurPlanet

Jan 6, 2018
San Francisco
I called PGE yesterday to just make sure they had everything. The Rep said they got everything and it was just being reviewed.

Lucky you, Tesla finally submitted my Interconnection request Thursday too, when I called PG&E yesterday they just told me they have received everything from Tesla and things look to be in order. Still waiting.

5150Code3

Mar 15, 2021
NorCal
You already had PTO with the prior solar so I could see that being a factor.
True, my installer left my new system running with the excuse that I already had an existing system running and the new system would be grandfathered in.
Somewhat faulty logic, but it payed off nicely not to disagree.

SaveOurPlanet

Jan 6, 2018
San Francisco
Should hopefully happen soon.

I have travel plan so I was so tempted to leave the system on before taking off, but I already had a lot of backfeed to the grid so I turned it off before I left. While 200 miles away I got congrats text and emails from everyone, PG&E, generic Tesla and project advisor, should have left it on, now I have to wait another 2 weeks.

zonela

Jul 30, 2018
Bay Area

11/2020: Ordered 4.08kW system.
3/08/2021: Installation completed.
3/15/2021: Inspection completed.
3/16/2021: Received PGE email about interconnection and signed.
3/25/2021: Paid Tesla invoice in full (used CC)
4/8/2021: Today still waiting for PTO.

It's been almost three weeks after inspection, should be hearing good news anytime soon and finger crossed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC