Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered 70D after 3 years of waiting/research, have 3 more days to confirm.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post, so a small intro - Currently drive 14 year old Honda with 150K miles, have been looking for luxury EV/hybrid car for almost 3 years. I test drove many vehicles, eagerly waited for i3 only to be disappointed (just one of emotion). I saved a little bit in the mean time and currently I work for 'my self' which helps a little more. After doing the math and stretching my budget a little bit more, finally ordered 70D (Blue 70D, gray, next-gen, pano, carbon fiber, premium, auto pilot). My wife drives 12 year old MDX with 110K miles. We are 3rd owner so it has lot of cosmetic blemishes but we are planning to keep it going for few more years (thanks to my wife for big sacrifice!!!)

I don't like to spend more than what is absolutely must and I've few questions/thoughts. I pulled the trigger more than once before and backed out at the last minute for various reasons (there was no AWD, range anxiety, may need to replace MDX too etc..). This time I don't want to do that and need help :). Affordability is not a concern, but want to get the best bang for my buck -

- I have to do the math again, but Tesla says their business lease already accounts for Federal tax credits that they get. Is it true? (Like how BMW 'rolled' ~5K into lease payment).
- Auto Pilot($2500 now - $3000 later). If I don't order it now and want to enable it afterwards, how does it work?
- Dual charger ($2000) : Is it absolutely necessary if I primarily use it for daily commute? I assume super charger can still charge at the same speed.
- CHaDeMO adapter ($450) : Is it a must if I want to use office/other charging stations?
- I read here you can get free(?) charge point card. I know Nissan leaf provides free charging for 2 years.....
- Annual maintenance ($600): How much of it I can do myself? I change oil/replace air filters myself....
- What is the advantage of wall adapter ($750) other than looks? sales person said it is only looks and a 240V outlet is all necessary.
- I live in Northern VA - how important is window tinting? How about sunroof shade?

Color combination:
- Is blue with gray complement each other? I couldn't see the car with exact combination at the dealer. I know black/black, white/black, red/tan, black/gray etc.. are considered 'good' combinations. I don't know about what usually people get with blue. Before blue, I was considering white(my second choice now).
- I don't like Obeche Decor and think piano black looks cheap ( Saw it in Ford fusion energi titanium and black decor spoiled otherwise a 'decent' interior for the price point). However, I think $1000 is too much few little pieces (if you add center console). How is the quality of aftermarket dash kit?
- How are you guys surviving without center console? I'd assume many will get the upgraded decor and I've seen only black CCI in stock. After market? How is the quality? Sales rep said after market ones are safety hazard as they can fly off in accident...

I know I asked quite a few questions, a big thanks in advance for just reading my post!!!

-- On autopilot, I intentionally left it off up front for my 70D order (going into production this week!)

$500 extra to do it later, but I asked and they said no tax on the $3000 to enable later. Just pay the $3000.

So I figured up by the time I pay 7% tax on the $2500, then possibly pay more at the BMV because the 'value' of my car is higher on the sticker due to the $2500, the $500 difference gets much smaller. And if I were financing the $2500, my payment goes up $40 a month.

So I left it off, and will just pay $3000 cash in a few months to enable.... when it's actually available.

-- On wall adaptor, just do a 240v outlet. You only need the Wall Adaptor ($750) if you're adding the dual charger after delivery ($2000).

-- Annual Maintenance.... oil?! No oil! :)

- Auto Pilot($2500 now - $3000 later). If I don't order it now and want to enable it afterwards, how does it work?
- Dual charger ($2000) : Is it absolutely necessary if I primarily use it for daily commute? I assume super charger can still charge at the same speed.
- CHaDeMO adapter ($450) : Is it a must if I want to use office/other charging stations?
- What is the advantage of wall adapter ($750) other than looks? sales person said it is only looks and a 240V outlet is all necessary.

1. Auto pilot hardware is included with the car. This includes cameras and sonar gear. When you pay for it after original purchase, Tesla will enable the software to make use of the existing hardware.

2. The AC charger is a completely separate system from the DC Supercharger system in the car. Supercharging has no link or dependency on dual AC chargers.

Dual AC chargers useful in two situations:

a) You install an 80A (yes 80 amps!) circuit to the HPWC in your garage. Without dual charger, you would only need a 40A circuit. Overnight charging only requires the 40A, but if you feel the need for 80A due to situations where you wish to take a longish non-supercharger trip, and then recharge at your house prior to taking another trip the same day.
Tesla Gear Shop Wall Connector

b) There are a number of 80A capable chargers around the country. Look at the Tesla maps and you will see "destination charging" where businesses have provided HPWC. Typically however, these are hotels, and if you are staying overnight, 40A would have been good enough to refill. There are J1772 charging stations that are 80A capable, notably the "Sun Country Highway" system here in Canada, but most public charge points are 40A or less.

3. Read the forums here on CHaDeMO. The stations are variously available, but for the most part are much less reliable than Tesla Superchargers. Not a necessity.

4. HPWC has 80A capability with dual chargers. That is an advantage over the portable charger which is limited to 40A.