Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a 2018 100D MX, but now i'm getting cold feet....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered, from Tesla, a late 2018 100D MX (first registration was in Jan. 2019) with all the belts and whistles i wanted, to replace my late 2014 AP1 MS.
To me, besides warranty, the main reason to replace my MS is range (and charging rate, of course).
And the main reason for wanting a range upgrade is that I have a weekend/holiday house at about 320km (199 miles) from home, that "forces" me to make a stop at a supercharger on the way, or to charge to 100% before leaving and drive carefully at low speeds to try to reach my destination.
So, i just basically want to drive at normal highway speeds directly to that weekend/holiday house without have to worry much about range and/or having to charge to 100% before leaving.

I know the MS has better range than a MX, so i would get better range with a 100D or LR MS that with a 100D or LR MX, and that is why, all of a sudden, i'm getting cold feet about my ordered 100D MX....
Besides mine, I have driven some MS's and some M3's, but never actually driven any MX, so (besides what i read in these forums) i'm not sure what kind of range i will get from a late 2018 100D MX, in real world usage (at normal highway speeds) and/or if i will get in trouble (have to drive slowly, charge to 100% before leaving, etc...) to make that 320km (199 miles) trip now, or at least soon (as battery degrades, get capped, and so on).

Any help to clear this doubts is welcome.

I always plan with 70% of the estimated range. If that is enough for you and has some safety margin also, then it should work for you.

Yes, but in this case i don't know what is the estimate range this MX will show.
I could sort of easily calculate i it's good enough for me, if i knew what is the 100D MX typical range showed at 80%, 90% and 100% charge.

So i went ahead and my 2018 MX 100D was delivered yesterday (not to me, but to someone who pick it up for me in another country) and it's already visible in my Tesla account/app.

From the app i can see it shows between 423 km / 436 km at 100% charge, 381 km / 392 km at 90% and 334 km / 345 km at 80% (in miles: 270 / 262 at 100%, 236 / 243 at 90% and 207 / 214 at 80%)

I'm kind of mildly disappointed with those figures since i opened a thread Calling all 2018 - 2019 100D MX - What's your range? about this after this one and the reported number were generally better than the one i have, but i'm still ok with this.

What puzzles me the most is the amplitude of the readings i'm getting. I mean at 100% i have already got 423 km and 436 km (a difference of 13km). I have never got such an amplitude in my S85, where the differences at 100% SoC usually varies at about 4 to 5 km.

Maybe i will have to try to balance the battery when the car get here.