Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a CPO Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
After years of planning, I finally did it. It was such a perfect match to my preferences, I couldn't pass it up. CPO Model S -- P41819. P85, Grey Metallic, Grey interior, 19" base wheels, red calipers, carbon fiber spoiler, pano roof, TP, UHFS, subzero weather, rear facing seats. No smart air suspension, which was actually how I wanted it. Really exciting!

I suspect I'll be looking to keep this car for ... oh, I don't know ... EVER!

Now looking to sell my Volt for roughly trade-in value if anyone is interested (see post in Other Cars For Sale).

Congrats! I know you were quite disheartened after majority of the cars disappeared. Did that one just pop up or was it not listed? I recall you mentioning that there none that matched your preference after the big purge. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay and how many miles?

Congrats! I know you were quite disheartened after majority of the cars disappeared. Did that one just pop up or was it not listed? I recall you mentioning that there none that matched your preference after the big purge. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay and how many miles?

I'm not sure when it was originally listed. But it only matched my preferences after I upped my budget to max $75K. I was also not looking too closely as I wanted to at least have my lien release for my old car first so I could sell it, which I have now. It was listed for $72.2K, somewhere between 16K and 17K miles, 2014 model. Price was starting to get up into new car territory, but I was still preferring to get a used car in order to get all the options I wanted under the same budget (also, I'm a rare bird that doesn't care about autopilot and I was neutral on all wheel drive; been driving rear wheel drive most of my life and I'm fine continuing to do so).

Congratulations. Make sure you don't get caught up in the "bright lights" of the new car and fail to inspect it closely. Some centers are better at prepping their cars than others. I think mine was washed, poorly, and that was all. When I pickup up mine, I had a list of about a dozen items that needed to be corrected, including the alignment - which was way out of spec. I was prepared to walk away unless they agreed to fix everything. The good news is that they did and my local center delivered a great car to me.

Keep us posted on your journey with plenty of pictures as well. Where is the car coming from? Did they give you any timeframe?

Rough estimates are anywhere from mid to late March delivery. It's coming from New England (where ever that means) and being delivered to the Kansas City, MO service center. Right now I'm playing a balancing game with finances, as it happened a month or two earlier than we were originally planning, but, for better or worse, we peeked around early and ran across a perfect match and decided not to pass it up (we've missed out on things we have really wanted in the past more times than once because of waiting for the ideal time; I took that as a hint and decided to go cowboy on this one). We'll be tight on cash for a couple of months, but after that it should be smooth sailing. We tend to put most of our extra cash into paying down debts, which has done wonders for our credit, but leaves us a little low on easily accessible cash. We've got some stocks and other things that could technically help, but we don't really want to liquidate those if we don't have to.

Welcome to the Tesla world Skotty. After your CPO travails I too am happy you found exactly what you wanted. Don't forget CLLACAB's advice, which applies to new cars too, by the way.

Anyone know if there is an easy way to find out if the car I ordered is dolphin grey or steel grey? I'd be happy with either, but I'm really curious now.

EDIT: If I log into MyTesla and look at the link for the design spec, the option codes are built into the link. I suspect this might tell me more, if I can find out what the option codes are.

options=MS01,RENA,AD02,AF00,AU01,BC0R,BS00,CH01,COL2-PMTG,CW01,DRLH,DV2W,FG02,HP00,IDHM,IX00,LP00,PA00,PBT85,PF01,PK01,PS01,PX00,QZMG,RFPO,SC01,SP00,SR01,SU00,TM00,TP01,TR01,UTAW,WT19,WTX1,X001,X003,X007,X011,X013,X019,X024,X027,X028,X031,X037,YF00

Looks like ev-cpo has the option codes (eh...was that for subscription only? maybe I shouldn't post them ALL here, but I'll reply if I figure out the color)

Hm...well the very first code casts doubt on the entire list. Guess it can't be trusted. MS01 is listed as Model S 2012, and the one I'm buying is supposed to be a 2014 model.

COL2-PMTG Grey Metallic -- well, that's not really helpful, as there seems to be only a single code for grey. Could be any of them I guess.

Last edited:
When was your car made? In May 2015 they had already gone to Midnight Silver. I think the old lighter shade of gray had disappeared a few months before that, but I don't know for sure. My car is a May 2015 build, Midnight Silver. And to this day I still can't get touch-up paint for it!

When was your car made? In May 2015 they had already gone to Midnight Silver. I think the old lighter shade of gray had disappeared a few months before that, but I don't know for sure. My car is a May 2015 build, Midnight Silver. And to this day I still can't get touch-up paint for it!

I'm not sure how to know. It's a 2014 model, and it was listed as P41819. Those are the only clues I am aware of.

As for colors, my understanding is that there was only 1 grey, also referred to as dolphin grey, until some time in 2014 when they came out with a new darker grey called steel grey that replaced the previous dolphin grey. Then later, steel grey was eliminated as well, but I don't know when or with what. Mine should be either the dolphin or the steel grey.

I'm not sure how to know. It's a 2014 model, and it was listed as P41819. Those are the only clues I am aware of.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JT4HA8BKxYjR5J-z5TPikra8gQ/edit#gid=915070871

Might send a pm to "Myjoule" as he/she bought 41893, which is close to yours.

I'm guessing that you're getting dolphin gray, the lighter shade. I bought an August 2013 Model S that was dolphin gray. I don't think they changed the gray for quite some time after that. Your car was apparently made in June 2014, by the spreadsheet.