Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a P85D, now thinking about losing my deposit and getting a CPO instead.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a small business owner and ordered a P85D with the lease program. We've been in business over 10 years and are growing substantially, so money isn't really an issue. The problem that I've been facing is that I've felt incredibly guilty since I ordered my car. I live in a small city and have a well known business, with a staff of 60. All of them are paid a living wage (for the area) with industry-leading benefits, however I'm feeling very self conscious about driving a $120k car to work.

Anyway, now that Tesla launched their CPO site (a week after I ordered my car), I am seeing some pretty attractive deals on P85s. I kind of like the thought of buying used for substantially less money and then being able to tell people I bought it used. I'd take the $500/mo savings and put it towards some sort of employment reward (employee of the month bonus or something).

Any thoughts from existing MS owners? Would you keep the P85D and not worry about what other people think or try to get the lesser version?

Without going into the merits of deciding on the P85D, another new model, an inventory model, or a CPO; I was just wondering how far along in the process you are. My understanding is that if you haven't entered production/parts sourcing yet, you can transfer your deposit. In that case, you wouldn't be loosing your $2,500 at all (though perhaps the $500 "change" fee?).

Without going into the merits of deciding on the P85D, another new model, an inventory model, or a CPO; I was just wondering how far along in the process you are. My understanding is that if you haven't entered production/parts sourcing yet, you can transfer your deposit. In that case, you wouldn't be loosing your $2,500 at all (though perhaps the $500 "change" fee?).

I actually called and asked. They said I would lose the deposit and that they would prefer I wouldn't do this (of course). But they won't be mad.

Anyone who would be upset about how much the car costs probably wouldn't be any less upset that the car is used. If the P85D is what you want you should get it. You could still do an employee of the month reward if the finances were there.

First and foremost, I am a firm believer that employees should be compensated fairly for a job well done. When there are resources for additional compensation or benefits that are deserved then it is always better to provide such rewards without the employees asking if they truly deserve such additional pay, bonus, benefits, rewards, etc. If you are a business owner who treats employees fairly than you should have no guilt for rewarding yourself, your hard work, your risk of business ownership, with whatever car you want. It is not the business of any subordinate of yours how you reward yourself especially if they are rewarded fairly.

Please don't cancel. You are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

When most people see the car they see a Tesla and only people who read the forums would really know the difference between the trim levels. The vehicles on the CPO site are all lacking Autopilot and AWD and add to that literally hundreds of refinements they are missing compared to the current generation of cars.

You've obviously worked hard in life to be where you are and if I were you I would not cheat myself out of experiencing the pinnacle of automotive performance for once in your life, if you can afford it. Get the P85D and feel what it is like to drive a supercar that costs 3X as much as the Tesla.

If you can't afford the car it is one thing but if you can afford it, enjoy the experience.

And for what it's worth most people have no clue what a tesla is and the car certainly wont look as ostentatious as if you had bought an S class. The Model S is pretty nondescript and I like that about the car.

Enjoy your P85D and post us a photo when you get it :)

I am the type that typically doesn't care what others think, but recently my neighbor had a situation as a result of getting a new AMG every year, his employees started complaining about work conditions, wanted raises & threatened joining a union...he drives a Volt to work now.

Order a loaded 70D & don't drive it until the plates arrive, you can fib & tell them you bought it used after explaining the gas savings & environmental benefits, safety etc...should be OK.

Last edited:
Whilst most businesses do all they can to reduce costs sometimes looking at the businesses environmental footprint can reveal additional savings. This would go hand in hand with the business owner buying an electric car that gets 89 Mpge. If the environmental program goes really well and saves a significant amount of money you could consider an employee environment bonus or buy a 70D and raffle it amongst your employees.

In your situation I think your proposal to buy the P85S used is quite reasonable. Unless you absolutely need the all wheel drive, the P85S has everything that matters. In fact, I have the 85S and think that is more than enough car for anyone who is not trying to make the statement, I have the best, baddest, fastest most high tech car in the world. With the 85S and P85S, you will probably feel that way anyway, unless you are drag racing a P85D.

I had a similar situation buying the 85S after having never owned a luxury car before. I had the money from a prior job. I bought the Model S after my Mini Cooper S (11 years old at the time) was totalled in a low-speed collision with a small SUV. I would have bought the 60S, whose performance would have been fine for me, but the 200 rated miles range (vs 265 for the 85S) was a show stopper.

I wouldn't be that worried about what folks in your city think, but more what your employees think. It's a personal decision, but I think buying the used P85S sends a much better message. If it doesn't work out or you find you can't live without the P85D, buy it then. Good luck! ADAM

If you are a business owner who treats employees fairly than you should have no guilt for rewarding yourself, your hard work, your risk of business ownership, with whatever car you want.

Thank you. We're a true industry leader in treatment of our employees. I just gave a presentation to 200 business owners about it.

You've obviously worked hard in life to be where you are...

This would be an understatement. :smile: First five years of the business with no breaks and no salary. My alternative would have been an Audi S4 or A7, both of which are more expensive to operate (using my very basic math and teslacost.com). The problem is that those cars are so abundant that no one would blink an eye.

I am the type that typically doesn't care what others think, but recently my neighbor had a situation as a result of getting a new AMG every year, his employees started complaining about work conditions, wanted raises & threatened joining a union...he drives a Volt to work now.

Any idea how your neighbor treats his employees already? We run a really open and fun culture where employee feedback is used to push the business forward. They are treated fairly and paid a living wage for the area, so while I could envision some of them complaining, it shouldn't be that way for the most part.

They can always debadge the P85D part for you as well.

I was gonna do that on day 1. :biggrin:

Whilst most businesses do all they can to reduce costs sometimes looking at the businesses environmental footprint can reveal additional savings. This would go hand in hand with the business owner buying an electric car that gets 89 Mpge. If the environmental program goes really well and saves a significant amount of money you could consider an employee environment bonus or buy a 70D and raffle it amongst your employees.

It's actually a delivery business with up to 30 ICE cars on the road at any given time. I could actually play that card.

Thanks y'all.

When most people see the car they see a Tesla and only people who read the forums would really know the difference between the trim levels.

This. A thousand times this. Nobody who isn't a Tesla enthusiast knows the difference between P60 and a P85D. Most people who are not car enthusiasts have no idea what a Model S costs in the first place and would probably be shocked to learn the base model starts at $70k.

Just buy what you want.

Please don't cancel. You are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

When most people see the car they see a Tesla and only people who read the forums would really know the difference between the trim levels. The vehicles on the CPO site are all lacking Autopilot and AWD and add to that literally hundreds of refinements they are missing compared to the current generation of cars.

Thanks, now I'm depressed :-(

Maybe if you live in California. Even in Seattle people ask me about the car. First thing they do is Google it and then they assume I must have rich parents (I dont).

It still does not look overly ostentatious like an S class though. If they peer inside the car and see no buttons they are going to think you bought none of the options because you could not afford any. And the lack of storage space clearly indicates that you bought the cheapest Model S that does not even have a center console. Apart from the LCD display the car is pretty basic in the interior.

Seriously I find the Model S to be quite nondescript compared to other cars in this price range and I consider that a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, now I'm depressed :-(

Oops... Sorry! Your car is still better than any other non Tesla out there and by th etime you get your next Tesla it will be so much better than what people are buying now :)