Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a P85D, now thinking about losing my deposit and getting a CPO instead.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Buy the P85D.
2. Install J1772 chargers at the office.
3. Encourage employees to go electric and sponsor L1/L2 EVSE at the office for them.
4. Lease a Smart Electric Drive (convertable if you can find one) for $140/mo. Drive it to the office on alternate days to show that you are all about EV's, and not only about Tesla's. ;-) !!

We love visiting Ashville! Hopefully they will add superchargers to I81 so we can take a more scenic route there. When you get your Tesla hope you list your charger on PlugShare :)

Oh for sure! I'm hopefully getting it installed in the next two weeks. We have quite a few stations in town, one really close to my house actually.

Get the car you want. Life is too short to make decisions based on what you worry others might think. It's your life and you're the one who's gonna be driving it.

Amen! I definitely agree, just want to make sure I take care of my people. I've already told a bunch of them about it.

Actually a good point about the company car and the J1772 at the office. I have a Volt now that I leased before Model S started shipping. I then leased a Nissan Leaf in my wife's yoga studio. That will make it seem like this purchase is about my thing for EVs and help me keep my hippie granola reputation on certain quarters. Everyone will just think I needed a larger "solar powered" car :cool:
20140530_194026.jpg

those smart electrics, but they would be PERFECT for what we do

http://www.mercedesbenzcary.com/new-smart-electric-drive-raleigh.html

Pretty far away, you'd need to have them delivered from that distance, but hey, $15K after tax credit is sweet.
Range is 80km in Canada winter (well below 0F) and 120km the rest of the year.
3.3kW charger tho, so you'd need 5 hours to refill.

Mine is going strong at 10,000km and zero loss of range. Fellow Canadian has 40,000km in two years, no loss of range, and recent battery checkup was same amp hours as new.

Keep your P85D! I was in a similar dilema, went ahead thanks to my wife who supported me, and my employees are just happy for me and even enjoyed their insane rides! I left my badge on too, they see how cheap I am with my life in general and don't seem to question my decision. I was also afraid of what people would think in my middle class neighborhood, but no body seems to notice or care. I think we tend to over think the impact in this area during our purchase process, but after all, this is not a very flashy car. Enjoy your car, you deserve it :)

some buyers remorse is normal, especially if this is a big step up in car for you. coming from a Jetta Sportwagon, I can say it does subside. I agree that folks who are bothered by a P85D won't likely be any less bothered by a P85. either way, folks who get tweaked by the idea of a high end car often come around to understand that buying a high end Tesla is more about supporting Tesla's efforts to scale up to the mass affordable model III than it is about vanity or self indulgence. I personally believe that the P85D is a dramatic improvement over the P85 or P85+ (queter, better handling, better seats and options and a better overall value) and I would recommend it over buying a used one if you have the cash. you certainly could debadge the car, but wait on deciding about that till you have driven it around for a few months... there may be some judgement but I can assure you there will also be those who see the purchase as a commitment to the revolution in the auto industry and energy storage/renewable energy. really what matters is that you don't become a snob and get all self righteous on people, you will have a chance to explain why you did it and show them you are still the same good person you were before.

I see buying new expensive items as a way to redistribute wealth, and is same with luxury cars. At some point of time that item will be sold and somebody will have a chance to buy it at discounted price. If you have enough disposable income and that is your dream item, why not? I guess I am very different, but I do not care, what my neighbors have, I live my life not theirs. It is somehow surprising to me that others may care what you own. The way I approach material things is, if you wealthy enough you will be fine, if not, you will be in trouble. Concerning de badging, I do not know if that serve any purpose, as for me, new item is till the day you purchased it, after that is used.

I would recommend you get the car that's right for YOU and as long as your family supports you wonderful. The nice thing about a de badged tesla is that no one knows if it's brand spanking new or 3 years old they all look the same!

I mo felt just like you did when we ordered our car. We had our DS de badge it for us kept the badge which is on my wall and 18 months later couldn't be happier I didn't buy the 60. Regardless of the one you buy its expensive which is why I say make sure it's for you and your family and you guys decide no one else.

I'm on my second Model S. I thought nothing could replace my love for our early Sig S but, holy cow: the P85D is a whole 'nother level of wonderful. Everything's just that much more refined, and the Autopilot features are great. Not to mention the extra 300hp... :biggrin:

Get the P85D, and don't look back.

People don't see the time, work, sweat, and stress, they only see what they want to see.

SO TRUE, We had a couple that we've been friends with since high school pretty much stop talking to us. When confronted, "that car" came up a few times. They choose to not remember the time I lived in a hangar, showered with cold tap water through a garden hose, flew WWII vintage freighters 5 days a week for $800/mo before taxes, top ramen gourmet meals, countless holidays and birthdays away from home. Fast Forward 21 short years later, past 9/11, past age 65 legislation, survived a merger and I'm a finally a Captain at a major airline (lifelong dream).

Live your life to make you and your family happy, not others.

Duc

http://www.mercedesbenzcary.com/new-smart-electric-drive-raleigh.html

Pretty far away, you'd need to have them delivered from that distance, but hey, $15K after tax credit is sweet.
Range is 80km in Canada winter (well below 0F) and 120km the rest of the year.
3.3kW charger tho, so you'd need 5 hours to refill.

Mine is going strong at 10,000km and zero loss of range. Fellow Canadian has 40,000km in two years, no loss of range, and recent battery checkup was same amp hours as new.

Dude seriously THANK YOU for this! I've already been in contact with a closer dealership in TN. We're looking at potentially ordering 10+. They are seeing what kind of fleet discounts I can get. This would be a perfect solution for us if it works out.

I'd like to thank all the other MS owners as well. It's very refreshing to hear from people who are already experiencing them and the way other people react.

Hi OP,

Reading this thread made me register for an account, haha. Seriously, I hope you went for the P85D that you wanted!

Speaking from the perspective of an 'employee', I would be ecstatic if my boss bought a Tesla P85D. He deserves it for his hard work.

If you treat your employees as well as you claim to (or as well as my company treats me, from my perspective), you shouldn't fear backlash.

I would kill even for the chance to sit in a P85D. Enjoy it. As people my age like to say, "YOLO".

Hi OP,

Reading this thread made me register for an account, haha. Seriously, I hope you went for the P85D that you wanted!

Speaking from the perspective of an 'employee', I would be ecstatic if my boss bought a Tesla P85D. He deserves it for his hard work.

If you treat your employees as well as you claim to (or as well as my company treats me, from my perspective), you shouldn't fear backlash.

I would kill even for the chance to sit in a P85D. Enjoy it. As people my age like to say, "YOLO".

Ha ha - nice first post. I think I treat them pretty freakin' well, but there are always people who complain. We're certainly not infallible but we do some really cool stuff. And they make decent money for the area.

Ha ha - nice first post. I think I treat them pretty freakin' well, but there are always people who complain. We're certainly not infallible but we do some really cool stuff. And they make decent money for the area.

People who complain are showing their true motivator.. (Money!) ;)

Besides, for people like that, it's only a matter of time until something sets them off, whether it be in your control or not.

I'm a small business owner and ordered a P85D with the lease program. We've been in business over 10 years and are growing substantially, so money isn't really an issue. The problem that I've been facing is that I've felt incredibly guilty since I ordered my car. I live in a small city and have a well known business, with a staff of 60. All of them are paid a living wage (for the area) with industry-leading benefits, however I'm feeling very self conscious about driving a $120k car to work.

You have to ask yourself whether you are being honest with yourself, because if you are, there's a contradiction. If your employees are not well paid, they might resent seeing you in a nice car that you bought with money you could have been paying them. On the other hand if they think well of you to begin with, they might feel the opposite. They might see somebody in a position that they strive to achieve.

Don't think people differentiate among models because they don't. If they see you driving an eight year old Lexus, they will see you as somebody who drives a Lexus, not as somebody who drives an eight year old car that might be worth no more than their Buick. If they see a Tesla, they will see a $100,000 car. People don't tend to realize that there's a big difference between a 60 and a P85D. Even the media kept calling it a "Model D" and still thinks that they were justified "so as not to confuse readers."

I don't drive a $100,000 car, but with options mine was pretty close. But there's no way a person would know that by looking at the car even if they saw the 85 on the back. It doesn't tell them much about what individual options cost and a valet isn't going to know how much my roof or sound system added to the cost of my car, especially if the sound is off, and he can't tell about the suspension in a parking lot. But he might comment about getting to drive a $100,000 car. If a person who drives cars for a living in an area where they are common can't tell the difference, then nobody seeing yours on the street where they can't tell if it's new or used or has two or four or eight motors will know either.

If you want the car, get it. Feel good about the fact that you are doing well. Feel good about the fact that you care about your employees. Use it as motivation not to forget them. If it serves as a reminder of what you are thinking now, so much the better. Go on thinking that if you can deserve to drive such a car, it's due to them.