TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ordered a Powerwall even when lacking ROI or common sense

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by mattack4000, May 31, 2018.

1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Despite the lack of ROI and probably lacking any logic and common sense, I made a deposit last night for one Powerwall. I am going in knowing full well I won't see this for a year, perhaps longer. I tried very hard to weight the pros against the cons, frankly I couldn't come up with any real argument other than being green and it builds good karma. With that said, I am going with 1 Powerwall as I simply couldn't support two for my house with my solar setup. My solar panel is a 2kwh system, so it builds around 11kwh in the summer (peak production is 10-2PM) and probably 6-8kwh in the winter time. Even though I produce very little, I also consumer very little power monthly outside of my AC and EV cars. Without those two items, I use around 1kwh per hour. With little generation and usage, I calculate the ROI to be like 13-15 years. I will simply reserve 30% of the battery for power backup and the rest for peak usage offset. That will make me what, $1.25 a day by shifting about 7kwh from peak to partial peak. I will also use the powerwall to offset my 90A subpanel only as it is too weak for my EVSE or the AC off my main panel anyway. Let's see how long I have to wait before I get a call saying I have a battery coming. I am guessing it won't be ready till 2019

• Like x 3
  2. GenSao

GenSao Member

Fortunately you are in California (assuming CA = California), so the wait time should not be too long. You may even beat 2019! =)

Keep in mind that people do not count the cost of backup power. To have backup power installed with an equivalent home standby generator could cost $3,000 to $6,000.

3. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

Power backup. Yeah.

4. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

The cool factor is worth a lot to some of us. Must be the case since I've got a deposit down on a solar roof!

5. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

Unfortunately my setup is going to be super ghetto as I can’t put the unit outside due to HOA restriction, so it’s going to join my tightly packed garage! I actually do have power backup to my fridge via my Honda generator. I guess I should think about getting rid of that to offset the cost.

It would be nice to have it before dec so they can work alll the bugs out before the summer power gen season!

6. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

I also ordered without really looking at ROI and was prepared to not get the SGIP rebate. I work from home at night and it's critical that I have backup power. Also, Zombie apocalypse. Ordered the day PW2 was announced and got it installed in September 2017. So far, 7 power outages where it kicked in ranging from 6 minutes to 2 hours. Totally worth it if continuous power and being able to "refuel" your cars if the grid is out are important to you. Still waiting on SGIP though. When and if I get it, my total out of pocket cost for 4 powerwalls is just $7000. But again, even if no rebate, it's worth it for my scenario.

• Informative x 1
  7. TomDiego

TomDiego Member

I did a Tesla overnight test drive Monday night from their showroom in La Jolla, CA. I was chatting with someone in the showroom about the Powerwall, telling that I've had two installed since December. I asked about backlog and they said "probably the end of next year"!

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

No, I actually did the same thing for use as backup power. We’ve had the power flicker on occasion in the summer, and go out for several hours rarely. I think it’s a much better answer than natural gas gensets, especially in a crowded sub-development.

The ROI comes in if you can do TOU, and Virginia doesn’t really do that. I still think it’s worth it for peace of mind. I’m thinking of it as a whole-house UPS, which is something to have.

As for end of 2019, that seems way excessive. But at least by then, I’ll have the cash all saved up way before they are installed. :D