Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered April 28th... still waiting... talk about frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

when I hear people complaining about 2,3,4 weeks delay I think about my own experience:

- Ordered Red, aero on 04/28
- Got infamous email about July delay
- I had a (few weeks) family vacation planned mid-July
- Called Tesla several times at the end of June to make them aware of my vacation and asked if they could "expedite" the delivery before mid-July. No help from them.
- Received an email about delivery a couple of days before going on vacation so it was impossible to get it delivered. Rep told me that I would get a new VIN since they couldn't wait for me.
- Made loan arrangements, etc, before getting back from vacation so the car could be delivered right away but still had to wait almost a week for delivery (08/16).
- They called me when I was on my way to delivery center (Fremont) and told me they couldn't deliver the car because they found some paint defects in one panel. They told me they would fix it in one week.
- Got back home. Re-scheduled delivery for 08/23.
- They called me a day earlier this time with exactly the same story: "We've found some paint defects and we cannot deliver it, we need to send it to the body shop, it's going to take around one week." I said, this is the same story than last week, is it the same defect or a new one, they seemed puzzled and then they said that the body shop was queued up and they didn't know when the car could be fixed. No ETA for fixing it.
- Emailed them back a couple of days later with no response.
- Called my rep after the weekend and he said that since they don't know when it's going to be fixed, it would be faster to get a new car so he was going to send the request. He would get back to me next day to tell me about delivery.
- Next day no answer... which is today... still waiting

I don't think this long wait happens to many people, although I read a lot of complains about delays. If Tesla really wants to be successful, I don't think this is the way. As soon as there is a little more competition, delays and bad experiences are going to make people go to a different company. When you get bad reputation, it's not easy to remove it.

4 months and counting...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Hi,

when I hear people complaining about 2,3,4 weeks delay I think about my own experience:

- Ordered Red, aero on 04/28
- Got infamous email about July delay
- I had a (few weeks) family vacation planned mid-July
- Called Tesla several times at the end of June to make them aware of my vacation and asked if they could "expedite" the delivery before mid-July. No help from them.
- Received an email about delivery a couple of days before going on vacation so it was impossible to get it delivered. Rep told me that I would get a new VIN since they couldn't wait for me.
- Made loan arrangements, etc, before getting back from vacation so the car could be delivered right away but still had to wait almost a week for delivery (08/16).
- They called me when I was on my way to delivery center (Fremont) and told me they couldn't deliver the car because they found some paint defects in one panel. They told me they would fix it in one week.
- Got back home. Re-scheduled delivery for 08/23.
- They called me a day earlier this time with exactly the same story: "We've found some paint defects and we cannot deliver it, we need to send it to the body shop, it's going to take around one week." I said, this is the same story than last week, is it the same defect or a new one, they seemed puzzled and then they said that the body shop was queued up and they didn't know when the car could be fixed. No ETA for fixing it.
- Emailed them back a couple of days later with no response.
- Called my rep after the weekend and he said that since they don't know when it's going to be fixed, it would be faster to get a new car so he was going to send the request. He would get back to me next day to tell me about delivery.
- Next day no answer... which is today... still waiting

I don't think this long wait happens to many people, although I read a lot of complains about delays. If Tesla really wants to be successful, I don't think this is the way. As soon as there is a little more competition, delays and bad experiences are going to make people go to a different company. When you get bad reputation, it's not easy to remove it.

4 months and counting...
I agree with you. Tesla needs to fix their delivery process before comparable EVs are available on the market, or people will just go elsewhere.

Many of us waited 2+ years for our vehicles.....and it was well worth it.

Chill, your day will come...
Thank you for your understanding.

When you say "many of us", it sounds a little 'exclusive' and I can tell you that I'm one of those "many of us" who has been waiting 2+ years patiently without complaining until I could order my M3.

It's just what happened after I ordered what feels a little frustrating to me. But maybe you were also waiting for 4+ months, maybe 5 or even 6 after you ordered and you were really cool with that. Kudos to you!

• Love
Reactions: neroden and tvisdog
Thank you for your understanding.

When you say "many of us", it sounds a little 'exclusive' and I can tell you that I'm one of those "many of us" who has been waiting 2+ years patiently without complaining until I could order my M3.

It's just what happened after I ordered what feels a little frustrating to me. But maybe you were also waiting for 4+ months, maybe 5 or even 6 after you ordered and you were really cool with that. Kudos to you!

Yup, 2+ yr online to order wait plus 4+ months after order for both my First X and the 3.

FWIW: “most” of us haven’t started an OP with war and peace detail to complain either.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and tvisdog
I agree with you. Tesla needs to fix their delivery process before comparable EVs are available on the market, or people will just go elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that their intention is to screw every one over.

Or maybe it's the fact that not only are their cars doing 0-60 in record times, but their production lines and support are doing the exact same things. Scaling up a delivery program, repair, and parts, while scaling up the production line is no small feat. While we may not see the days when a delivery advisor calls just to see how you are feeling each day, I'm sure that the support is going to get much better. Take a look at the job openings on the Tesla site to see some effort on scaling the process.

• Disagree
I'm pretty sure that their intention is to screw every one over.

Or maybe it's the fact that not only are their cars doing 0-60 in record times, but their production lines and support are doing the exact same things. Scaling up a delivery program, repair, and parts, while scaling up the production line is no small feat. While we may not see the days when a delivery advisor calls just to see how you are feeling each day, I'm sure that the support is going to get much better. Take a look at the job openings on the Tesla site to see some effort on scaling the process.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions :)