Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered CPO - delivering soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am joining the Tesla family soon! After a few weeks of stalking Tesla Inventory Search, I found the car I was looking for and placed a deposit on a 2013 Model S 85 with the following details:

59,783 miles
Pearl White Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Silver Turbine Wheels
Grey Nappa Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Decor
Standard Headliner
Free Supercharging
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Tech Package
Parking sensors (as per Used Vehicle Sales Advisor)
TPSM Monitoring (not by individual tire as per Used Vehicle Sales Advisor)
3G connectivity

Timeline:

September 22nd - Deposit placed over the phone with Used Vehicle Sales Advisor (UVSA). Estimated delivery is four to six weeks. Vehicle located in Dallas TX so no transport fee to Austin TX.

September 22nd
- Financing approved at local credit union. (2.3% up to 72 months.)

September 22nd
- Uploaded all documents to Tesla website (driver's license, insurance, trade-in information, etc.).

September 23rd
- Emailed a bunch of questions and requested Carfax.

September 25th
- All questions answered and Carfax received from Used Vehicle Sales Advisor

October 2nd
- Emailed a request for an update on vehicle status.

October 5th
- UVSA advised it is in Austin "ready for detail". Also requests more information (financing information, trade-in payoff amount, etc.) which is provided that same day.

October 6th
- UVSA advises car will be ready "within the next week or so" because the CPO process actually started before my deposit was placed because someone else was to buy the car but the deal didn't go through. I was told it was because the previous buyer's financing fell through but cannot be sure if that is accurate or not.

October 6th
- I visit the Austin Service Center to get a look at the vehicle. It is in the parking lot waiting for detail, just like the UVSA said. It looks to be in very good condition. All panel gaps look good. All wheels look excellent. Tires look brand new. While looking at the vehicle, a guy comes over and asks if I have any questions. Turns out he's the Service Manager and we end up talking for about 20 minutes about Tesla, the vehicle, and the Service Center. He gives me a tour of the facility and asks me to let him know when my delivery appointment is so that he can join in the delivery (and celebration). Really cool guy!

While the UVSA could not give me a printed list of all previous work on the vehicle due to privacy reasons for the previous owner (which I do not fully agree with or understand that reasoning), he did share with me the following:

Annual service performed Sept 2017
AC compressor warranty work performed Sept 2017
New tires Sept 2017
Alignment Sept 2017
12V battery replaced Sept 2017
Drive unit replaced July 2017
Wheels recently refurbished
Body scratches recently refurbished
MCU updated (didn't note the date)
Charge port magnet warranty performed (didn't note the date)
Pretensioners replaced (didn't note the date)
3rd generation floor mats (didn't note the date)
Acoustic cover warranty work (didn't note the date)
Seat belt trim warranty work (didn't note the date)
Additional key fob (didn't note the date)

First few items I plan to get immediately after delivery are:

Tesla cable organizer
Tire road hazard warranty from local Discount Tire (they have always been good to me)
Tint as dark as legally possible
Wheel guards
All weather mats
Wheel locks
Paint protection wrap

Items planned to get as-needed

Fob holders
Abstract Ocean replacement light bulbs
Center console
Cubby tray
Dashboard for Tesla app
Fronk organizer
Trunk organizer
Roof shades
Screen protector

Well, I think that's my story. I welcome any and all feedback from this wonderful community.

Martin

Thinking of ordering CPO but it sounds INSANE to me to put a non-refundable deposit down on a 50-80k car without pictures or any information on it besides the battery size and year/mileage. I have been in contact with Tesla and apparently the car I am interested in is out as a service loaner racking up miles and in harms way. Did you guys have a similar experience? They also don't really care if you want the car or not since there is a list a mile long of people wanting Teslas. The girl on the phone said people pay 50-100k for a used Tesla every day UNSEEN. Thoughts?

First, I agree with your position about buying a car sight unseen. However, if you have 100% decided to buy a Tesla then I don't think putting down a non-refundable deposit is a big risk. You would simply transfer it to another vehicle if the one you initially select doesn't work out.

Also, the For Sale listings usually have pictures of the car (NOT the actual car, though) along with all relevant information - miles, color, options. What information is missing?

Thank you, CLLACAB. We took a quick look at it over the weekend while it waits for detail and noticed the driver's seat looked noticeably worn. We are hoping that the detailing will make it much better and at this point is our main concern. I'd hope that if it can't be detailed to look a lot better then they might replace the seat (or re-upholster it).

congrats everyone.

i just put an order in for a 2012 P85 Signature on october 10 and was told 4-8 weeks. been in contact with my UVA by phone and email, he has an answer for every question and request. even supplied photos of the actual car and reconditioning dates etc. so far so good. wish i could know what work has been done on the car with it being number 547, cant wait.