Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered LR AWD - What Comes Next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - first post on TMC, but I’ve been lurking for years. I finally pulled the trigger on my first Tesla on 2/20 - MY LR AWD, Red/White, 20” induction - and I wanted to make sure that I’ve done everything needed while I wait. Current estimated delivery is 2-6 weeks from order placed date.

So far it’s been radio silence from Tesla so I’m just winging it. I followed all the steps for registration and trade in and already received an offer. I applied and was approved for Tesla financing, but I didn’t accept the offer yet because I figured I couldn’t move forward with the bank without a VIN. Am I missing anything? I don’t want to be the one causing any delays in getting this sweet new ride! TIA!

rdr

A43C87E5-CDB6-4BBF-9BAC-8655AE87FE5A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: WattsHappening
If you are using Tesla financing you don’t need to wait for a vin, they handle that once it’s assigned. They won’t match you till you accept financing or say you are paying cash at delivery. All 4 steps need to be checked to get a vin.
I got matched without doing the loan application before. 3 times actually. 1 during the rush for last quarter and 2 in the middle of Feb. They just wanted to give me their cars, but I wasn't ready. And now when I'm ready, they make me wait for a VIN for forever.

Reactions: rdrwtx
Thank you for the replies.

UPDATE: I had clicked to do Tesla financing when I placed my order, but for some reason it never fully went through. It said alliant would contact me - they did, and I was approved - but it never updated in the Tesla system. Last week I clicked change payment method, and when I clicked back to Tesla financing it made me fill out the quick application again. I was immediately approved (this time by US Bank with 2.49 apr) and matched with a VIN the next day. Not sure if resubmitting the Tesla financing triggered the VIN match.

I was matched with an older build that didn’t have the refresh, and also had been used as a demo. I asked to keep looking, and the next day was matched with a brand new build, vin 144xxx, which I should be picking up in the next week or so.

Everything appears to be in order now and I’m so excited. I do wish the folks at Tesla were more helpful in the process, as for me (and probably most folks) this is a completely different way of purchasing a car. Many thanks to the TMC community for providing some guidance! I’m so looking forward to being a part of the Tesla and TMC family!

rdr

Reactions: WattsHappening
Thank you for the replies.

UPDATE: I had clicked to do Tesla financing when I placed my order, but for some reason it never fully went through. It said alliant would contact me - they did, and I was approved - but it never updated in the Tesla system. Last week I clicked change payment method, and when I clicked back to Tesla financing it made me fill out the quick application again. I was immediately approved (this time by US Bank with 2.49 apr) and matched with a VIN the next day. Not sure if resubmitting the Tesla financing triggered the VIN match.

I was matched with an older build that didn’t have the refresh, and also had been used as a demo. I asked to keep looking, and the next day was matched with a brand new build, vin 144xxx, which I should be picking up in the next week or so.

Everything appears to be in order now and I’m so excited. I do wish the folks at Tesla were more helpful in the process, as for me (and probably most folks) this is a completely different way of purchasing a car. Many thanks to the TMC community for providing some guidance! I’m so looking forward to being a part of the Tesla and TMC family!

rdr
If you are happy with your APR from US Bank thats great. Many of us have had success emailing [email protected] and asking to check with other lenders such as Chase Bank. Chase has been under 2% for most. Congrats on your VIN!

Tesla sales in Texas are different than other states. "100% paid in full" prior to delivery, for instance. You can't actually inspect the car prior to 100% payment. Also, state tax is paid by you, independently, AFTER you receive a FedEx envelope with the necessary documents from Tesla, which you'll receive well after the actual delivery of the car. (I think mine took 3 weeks.) Dealer provided me with 2 consecutive 30-day temp tags, I only needed to use one of them.

Enjoy your new car! I strongly recommend getting to know the tech folks at your closest SC NOW, prior to delivery. I think it helps with possible future issues. FYI, I've had 2 service visits. I drove in, scheduled them with the 2 Service Advisors on duty. It gave me a chance to fully explain the issue, even speaking with a tech prior to scheduling the visit. I find that so much clearer than using the app.

I got matched without doing the loan application before. 3 times actually. 1 during the rush for last quarter and 2 in the middle of Feb. They just wanted to give me their cars, but I wasn't ready. And now when I'm ready, they make me wait for a VIN for forever.

Did you select cash as payment option initially? Your profile isn’t complete without payment and if you select finance it shouldn’t show as complete unless you have uploaded loan approval documentation. If you select cash it will show as complete and then you can always change that prior to delivery if you decide to finance after all.

Did you select cash as payment option initially? Your profile isn’t complete without payment and if you select finance it shouldn’t show as complete unless you have uploaded loan approval documentation. If you select cash it will show as complete and then you can always change that prior to delivery if you decide to finance after all.
Nope. Didn’t even choose cash once. It was Tesla finance all the time even though I didn’t proceed with it.

Tesla sales in Texas are different than other states. "100% paid in full" prior to delivery, for instance. You can't actually inspect the car prior to 100% payment. Also, state tax is paid by you, independently, AFTER you receive a FedEx envelope with the necessary documents from Tesla, which you'll receive well after the actual delivery of the car. (I think mine took 3 weeks.) Dealer provided me with 2 consecutive 30-day temp tags, I only needed to use one of them.

Enjoy your new car! I strongly recommend getting to know the tech folks at your closest SC NOW, prior to delivery. I think it helps with possible future issues. FYI, I've had 2 service visits. I drove in, scheduled them with the 2 Service Advisors on duty. It gave me a chance to fully explain the issue, even speaking with a tech prior to scheduling the visit. I find that so much clearer than using the app.
Thank you for this! The Texas process is weird, so this gives me an idea of what to expect!

rdr

Picked it up yesterday and the fit and finish were spot on! Had an issue accepting delivery in the app because the service folks did a couple things for me before I accepted it, which caused it to lock me out. I took the vehicle without accepting (they just had me email to say I accept), and had to hope that Tesla would take care of it since it wouldn’t let me schedule service or access premium content until they did. Everything was sorted out within a few hours and now I’m a happy Tesla owner!

92689336-706E-4600-B204-B0C1E48E09AC.jpeg
D0AD1E6E-78A7-42EF-9DE6-BE3679D6DAEF.jpeg
49A39D87-D4CB-40B2-9E75-C7403B857816.jpeg
8A2531FC-E102-4A49-A6E0-8741054D4490.jpeg

Hi All - first post on TMC, but I’ve been lurking for years. I finally pulled the trigger on my first Tesla on 2/20 - MY LR AWD, Red/White, 20” induction - and I wanted to make sure that I’ve done everything needed while I wait. Current estimated delivery is 2-6 weeks from order placed date.

So far it’s been radio silence from Tesla so I’m just winging it. I followed all the steps for registration and trade in and already received an offer. I applied and was approved for Tesla financing, but I didn’t accept the offer yet because I figured I couldn’t move forward with the bank without a VIN. Am I missing anything? I don’t want to be the one causing any delays in getting this sweet new ride! TIA!

rdr

View attachment 642853
I am also holding at the payment. Seems like I saw somewhere the approval for Tesla financing is for a maximum of 30 days before delivery but Im sure that’s not right.