Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model 3, now with all cameras so all features might not work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! First post! So my husband and I ordered a model 3. We are so excited, but today we decided to upgrade and get the Full Driving option and I had a notification in my account (you think I would of got an email). Anyway, it said that my car would be fitted with all cameras and that some of my features might not work right away and I might have to wait for software updates.

Have any of y’all experienced something like this with Tesla? It’s kinda of weird ordering something that might not work or have to wait for the awesome options you’re paying for to work. Idk this whole experience is different with ordering a car online like I’m ordering shoes or a purse, so I just rolled with it. You think it will work out well?

Thanks,

Diana

...It’s kinda of weird ordering something that might not work or have to wait for the awesome options you’re paying for to work. Idk this whole experience is different with ordering a car online like I’m ordering shoes or a purse, so I just rolled with it...
That's the weird business that consumers got involved with Tesla.

Normally, if I paid fully for a cold can of soda, I should have it in my hand and enjoy it immediately.

Not in Tesla's cases.

Some people already paid $250,000 fully in 2017 for the 2020 Tesla Roadster but now, it's 2020 and they still haven't got it.

...You think it will work out well?..

As the blog warned, there would be "some features temporarily limited or inactive". Tesla hasn't bothered to submit their test scores to NTHSA, Consumer Reports, IIHS so those 3 agencies downgraded those radarless versions until they'll be proven in the future.

People have received the radarless version already and it seems to work fine except for the already warning of "some features temporarily limited or inactive".

However, will radarless version be ever reaching the level of SAE Autonomous Driving Level 3 and above (that's when human is no longer responsible for driving while the machine does the driving)? No competitors would bet on the radarless. They say you need at least radar and LIDAR to do that.

Waymo has proven that it achieves level 4 where riders don't have any human drivers at all (riders are not responsible for driving or accidents or malfunctions). It's not level 5 because it's only operational in 50 square miles in Chandler, AZ, and in good weather.

In the meantime, I do think Tesla Vision will work very fine as an L2 where drivers are responsible for any accidents.

Upvote 0
Hi all! First post! So my husband and I ordered a model 3. We are so excited, but today we decided to upgrade and get the Full Driving option and I had a notification in my account (you think I would of got an email). Anyway, it said that my car would be fitted with all cameras and that some of my features might not work right away and I might have to wait for software updates.

Have any of y’all experienced something like this with Tesla? It’s kinda of weird ordering something that might not work or have to wait for the awesome options you’re paying for to work. Idk this whole experience is different with ordering a car online like I’m ordering shoes or a purse, so I just rolled with it. You think it will work out well?

Thanks,

Diana
This probably has to do with the recent 'Tesla Vision' switch to using all the camera and not the radar. There's plenty of threads talking about Tesla Vision if you want to search for it.

Upvote 0
Thank you all, your responses were helpful. So someone I work with has a Tesla and I got to get to see how it works. The FSD features I like that work on his car I wouldn’t have if I just had auto pilot so we went ahead and got the FSD added. Oddly this just jumped my delivery date and it’s ready!! I wasn’t ready for that! I don’t even have the charger ready!! Yet they texted and said it’s on the way and ready for pick up next week!

Upvote 0
... Oddly this just jumped my delivery date and it’s ready!! I wasn’t ready for that! I don’t even have the charger ready!! Yet they texted and said it’s on the way and ready for pick up next week!
You can give me your slot, then - my charger’s ready! ☺️

Kinda makes me have to think about my plan to add FSD after delivery. 😏

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(moderator note: the note from tesla would be related to accepting tesla vision:

OP can read more about telsa vision in the linked thread. I would normally move this post into that thread since "need to accept all features of FSD might not work in FSD on pickup" is definitely 10000000% tesla vision, but there are 10 responses to this thread already. Since that is the case, I am going to lock this thread (op has already decided to order anyway). Any discussion on tesla vision should be directed to the thread above, or the one in the autonomous section).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.