TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ordered Model X Aug 10th. Should I cancel?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by number12, Aug 16, 2016.

?

Should I?

1. Take scheduled delivery?

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. Redo order today?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Redo order and push back?

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Keep redoing order and be a child?

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. number12

number12 Member

Tomorrow, I believe, is the last day to alter or edit my order for my Model X.

I feel like with the autopilot 2.0 rumors that in the next couple weeks we will get at least a clearer picture of time frame of 2.0 hardware.

I have a second car, but I am getting married in October and would have loved to have it by then. Website still says late Sept delivery for 6 seat X. Should I risk it? Cancel and reorder... worst case just adding 6 days to my delivery? or cancel and reorder and push delivery back 6 months and just speed it up if hardware is announced?

I feel like everyone I talk to at tesla is pushing me to get car now, but why wouldn't they...

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Of course Tesla would recommend you purchase the vehicle immediately. That's in their best interests.

With regards to your best interest, you'll have to make up your own mind. If you really want this vehicle for October, then I would not feel safe in cancelling.

If you don't mind getting married in your old car (or rent a nice limo or something), and would much prefer AP 2.0 and 100D battery, then by all means cancel now and wait a couple of months to re-order.

Of course, in a couple of months AP3.0 and 110D rumors will probably start to surface...:confused:

• Funny x 3
  3. Buddy

Buddy Member

Isn't autopilot 2.0 rumored to only add the capability to take an exit off the hwy? I also heard it may recognize stop signs...doesn't sound like options worthy of delaying an order to me.

plus I agree with vandacca that there will always be "something new" on the horizon. Heck, there are already speculations about the design of the model Y and the model3 hasn't even begun production yet!

4. number12

number12 Member

Since tesla makes it almost impossible to lease a car (for me $13000 down vs $2500) and neg. price difference a month. I'm most worried about depreciation. Autopilot is important to me, but if I can wait 1-2 months and have the next generation of a $90k car is my thought.

At the end of the day it is what it is... I've just wanted this car for years and am willing to wait if there's anything to wait for. If leasing was more reasonable it wouldn't even be a decision.

Thanks for the feedback

5. outie

outie Member

Re-ordering does not necessarily push your delivery 6-7 days. You could technically take delivery around same day or even earlier or it could take much longer depends what they are batch-producing at the time.

If you are so concerned about a rumor then you should just cancel and wait for the official announcement or check new deliveries with new hardware before ordering again. If you can wait you should just wait.

6. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

Agree!

7. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Depreciation is linked to volume of goods on the free market. I suppose as more hit the road, the value on the aggregate will decline faster. This is thinking the leasing partner must do as a bank to figure out how to price residual value. Tesla is searching for a new leasing partner and I suspect they will be working on this math closely.

Depreciation of the RWD P85 and P85+ went quicker once the D models came out. Look at low-mileage P85 on the CPO pages - $60,000 for a 3-year old $135,000 original priced car.

8. Alketi

Alketi Member

It depends on how much you value what AP 2.0 hardware will bring -- which is very likely to be enough hardware capability to eventually support full autonomy.

However, there's no guarantee when AP 2.0 hardware will ship. It could be anywhere from a few weeks to 12 months.

Personally, I can't think of a more killer feature than full autonomy, so I would be waiting. But, if everyone was me, then Tesla's sales would be zero. Not good!

• Like x 1
  9. DougH

DougH Active Member

cancel and reorder

10. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

You are way off on the original pricing for 3 year old cars. My fully loaded 3 year old P85+ with all options except the rear facing child seats was 117K including destination charge...

• Informative x 1
  11. vigge50

vigge50 Member

I belive you are mixing to things. Tesla will soon send out software 8.0 wish will be able to handle a exit from the highway and that will come to all exciting car with autopilot. The autopilot 2.0 on the other hand is rumoured to be able to handle full autonomy in the future, something that will not be possible with exciting hardware. The question is when tesla will start installing all necessary hardware for autopilot 2.0 in new cars.

• Informative x 1
  12. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

OK, let's update the estimate:
    Depreciation of the RWD P85 and P85+ went quicker once the D models came out. Look at low-mileage P85 on the CPO pages - $60,000 for a 3-year old $115,000-119,000 original priced car.

Also, the P85D was originally $120,000+ then had some reductions.
    Tesla Model S P85D Gets Price Slashed By $14,500, Range Now Listed At 285 Miles

I guess I've seen too many $135,000 priced Model X out and about lately from the initial run of P90DL versions.
    Today, you can option-up a P90DL MS to $136,500 and 144,200 for the P90DL MX. I would be most worried about depreciation of all the options added. A lot of full optioned classic P90DL MS were sent out to sales locations during late Q2 and are there now for a pretty healthy discount as they age, even without miles being put on them.