Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model X, dealer has demo car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first post here. I ordered a Model X 2 weeks ago, and today got a call from the local dealer letting me know they found an exact match in another state that was used as a showroom demo vehicle. It has 240 miles on it, and they are discounting it $700 to account for that. The vehicle would be here in 2 weeks which is likely far sooner than my actual custom delivery date.

Has anyone else here had a similar situation? I have found a couple instances searching around. Seems like the tax credits still apply, the vehicle is still considered new, etc. Any concerns I should have? Not an inexpensive vehicle, so I'm somewhat reluctant.

Sort of, the car you're getting is likely 4-5+ months old and will not have very recent modifications to it.

One I can remember is in March 2018 they replaced the MCU to make it run the center screen faster. Other than that I don't recall anything else major, it is up to you if $700 is a fair discount for what you're getting (240 miles and not current Model X).

240 miles demo for $700??? Really?

Calculate this cost:
Paint correction: demo car always have a lot of hair line scratches & swirls ~ $1500
Interior leather damages: you should wonder how many people were sitting in your car then jumping in n out. Some demo car screens also have chip/scratches. ~ $1000
240 miles? $1000.

So the adjustment should be around $4k or more if you don’t want new graphite trims and maybe MCU2.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I can’t tell for the price as if it is fair or not but one thing I have seen several people comment on is the advertised mileage.

They found out when taking delivery that sometime the mileage would be way higher because the car would have been used as a loaner and the information in their system was not up to date. So maybe make sure to have them double check the actual real mileage displayed in the MX ;)

All valid points. It's the white interior, so loads of people climbing in and out of it concerns me. I'll see if they can give me the manufacture date. I would definitely prefer the updated cpu for the infotainment system.

Make sure also they know where the car actually is ;)

My New Tesla - What a NEGATIVE Experience

Indeed sir... OP. I like you, came across this exact same situation. With the true question of would a freshly ordered model make it by year end, I also went this route.. Above items are all valid points..

One thing to consider, which I did and asked ad nauseum, is about any imperfections being repaired/replaced at delivery. Service and Sales both stated if there were a flaw, it would be remedied properly.. (With that, I don't trust a word Tesla says right now,) but they did confirm if a seat was torn, stained, etc, they would replace it at no cost....

My particular model, I had the service manager scour it for rock chips, swirl, interior flaws, etc.. He saw nothing and both individuals I have been dealing with emphatically said it was in "new" condition.

Get the pics, get them to walk the car with a fine tooth comb... I still think inventory is a great way to go with no true guarantee of an order vehicle being here by the new year.

I would not.

My friend got a demo car with less than a thousand miles. All kind of issues: Bad paint, door dent, “rocking” chair etc.

Around the same time, I ordered my car brand new. Not a single issue.

Don’t forget. The car is being improved constantly. U just don’t know if there was any component changes between the demo car and a new one.

He got almost $10k discount. (It was right before quarter end) it was understandable why he took the demo car.

For $700, I would be laughing at them for even bringing it up

I would not.

My friend got a demo car with less than a thousand miles. All kind of issues: Bad paint, door dent, “rocking” chair etc.

Around the same time, I ordered my car brand new. Not a single issue.

Don’t forget. The car is being improved constantly. U just don’t know if there was any component changes between the demo car and a new one.

He got almost $10k discount. (It was right before quarter end) it was understandable why he took the demo car.

For $700, I would be laughing at them for even bringing it up

Could almost tend to agree with this in hindsight, but in my example, the build date is September '18, so effectively only a month old. And the $700 for some is actually $8200 considering many believe that a new X ordered today might not make December delivery, even with a November showing.

Could almost tend to agree with this in hindsight, but in my example, the build date is September '18, so effectively only a month old. And the $700 for some is actually $8200 considering many believe that a new X ordered today might not make December delivery, even with a November showing.
If it fails to make Dec delivery. The tax credit is still not completely gone. It will be $3750.

Still, it is up to OP. But I would double and triple check the car before taking the delivery. I see many demo cars getting abused at the show room.

Reactions: PhilDavid
902A6E4C-A14C-4C1A-BEDA-9ACE5453A7FA.jpeg

This was our MS100D with $12,400 price adjustment for being the showroom floor model at the Palo Alto store. Car had less than 50 miles on it when delivered in May and had a Dec 2017 build date (5 months old). It doesnt have the new MCU, FSD, sunroof or 21" turbine wheels but car has everything else and was flawless when delivered. Inventory cars can be a great value if you are willing to work closely with your OA.

Reactions: Bogobec