Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ordered Model X long range got performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

fklarmeyer

Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2022
Nine Mile Falls
I ordered my Tesla Model X Long Range last August 2021 and it finally delivered on 26 September 2022. I first noticed that my X is listed by my insurance company as a performance model. Is there a difference? Do both models have spoilers?

1664807600925.png

Looks nice, enjoy. Yes, there is a difference between the two. Both have spoilers, but the performance model price is higher, and the rated horsepower higher, as well as 0-60 times. So this could affect your insurance rates. I would contact the insurance company to clarify.

first noticed that my X is listed by my insurance company as a performance model

Probably just a [costly] error from your insurance company.

Tesla renamed its "Performance" vehicles to Plaid when they changed to the Palladium platform (like the one you bought), so technically Tesla is no longer selling any "Performance" branded models since mid 2021.

Do both models have spoilers?

All Model X's have a spoiler since they came out in late 2015 as 2016 model years. Back then, there was an "Active Spoiler" option which changed height depending on the speed and tucked away when the vehicle was parked, but Tesla took it away as it was a massive pain to fix when grime and dust collected in the motor hinges and stopped working, so now we just get the fix spoiler for each and every Model X.

Plaid's have 3 motors as opposed to the 2 on the Long Range. (By the way, there's no longer a Long Range version of the S and X models, there's just the Plaid and the "Model S/X").

The easiest way to tell if you have a Plaid Model X, is by opening the Additional vehicle information pop-up window in your Controls -> Software menu screen. If it's a Plaid (which I don't think is the case with your Model X, as from your photo, it doesn't seem to have the contrast stitching on the seats), it should mention that the rear motor is a: Dual permanent magnet:

637707789934831511.jpg

this could affect your insurance rates

As @Les236 mentioned, you should get this sorted out with your insurance company, as Plaid's get a higher insurance rate than the regular non-Plaid Model X.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
Big difference between insurance company thinking your vehicle is performance model vs taking delivery of such. What label is on the trunk, what does the in dash logo show? (Look under software)
My guess is your insurance is using the vin to solely determine. In the past this happened to folks with non-performance 3s and led to the ‘discovery’ that performance was just a software update (hardware was the same for a brief moment in Tesla history)