Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model X on 3/15, was told delivery would be by end of March. Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did zero research before buying and just found this website. People are waiting 2-3 months for their car but I was told it’ll be delivered in March. How accurate are their estimates?

Model X
Long range
White on white
22” rims
6 seater

I’m in Southern California.

Yes, 99% likely because all production right now is for California. Quarterly production starts with the furthest away destinations (UK, China, Australia) and finishes with CA because Tesla wants to deliver Q1 production in Q1 because of financial reasons.

Last edited:
I ordered mine on 2/27 and it will be ready for pick-up on 3/20 or 3/21. I got the auto-text that tentatively scheduled pick up for 3/20 but Delivery Adviser says they will need 24 hours with it before pick up. He tracked it and it was about 4 hours away from them earlier today.

This happens every quarter.

Early in the quarter, the priority is higher for vehicles being delivered outside of the US, due to the longer transport times needed to get the vehicles delivered in the quarter. And late in the quarter customers in and close to California can see short order-to-delivery times, since their vehicles can be delivered in the quarter.

The reporting of quarterly sales and profitability was mentioned as a reason why Musk wanted to take Tesla private. It forces Tesla to repeat this same dance every 3 months, trying to maximize how many vehicles are delivered in each quarter and minimizing the number of vehicles that have been built and not yet delivered (in transit).

Especially for California customers - you can generally get short delivery times in the last month of each quarter.

There was extra pressure on deliveries at the end of last year due when the $7500 tax credit dropped to $3750 on January 1. We'll see the same thing happen in June and December this year as the federal tax credit phaseout continues.

I ordered mine on 2/27 and it will be ready for pick-up on 3/20 or 3/21. I got the auto-text that tentatively scheduled pick up for 3/20 but Delivery Adviser says they will need 24 hours with it before pick up. He tracked it and it was about 4 hours away from them earlier today.

I ordered mine five days before you (Seattle area), and mine is still in production. :( Biggest difference I can see, based on the tracking sheet, is I ordered the six-seat variant. I can't imagine that would impact production time so drastically, so I am wondering if they are having supply issues for parts in the six-seater.

I ordered mine five days before you (Seattle area), and mine is still in production. :( Biggest difference I can see, based on the tracking sheet, is I ordered the six-seat variant. I can't imagine that would impact production time so drastically, so I am wondering if they are having supply issues for parts in the six-seater.

I pick up mine tomorrow (Friday 3/22).

Reactions: DustWindDude