Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model Y on June 15th - VIN same day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m pretty sure Tesla is batching orders on the manufacturing line. Meaning cars of like specs on the manufacturing line delivered to a general similar geographical area get manufactured together. Meaning all Red LRs going to Midwest as an example. Hence the backlog of orders helps them pick and prioritize orders based on component availability, transportation optimization, and tooling changes to maximized throughput in the manufacturing plant. This way they get great loadfactor on the delivery trucks, minimal assembly line down time and the building excitement with us consumers. Win-win for all :)

Reactions: hcdavis3 and MBx4
I’m pretty sure Tesla is batching orders on the manufacturing line. Meaning cars of like specs on the manufacturing line delivered to a general similar geographical area get manufactured together. Meaning all Red LRs going to Midwest as an example. Hence the backlog of orders helps them pick and prioritize orders based on component availability, transportation optimization, and tooling changes to maximized throughput in the manufacturing plant. This way they get great loadfactor on the delivery trucks, minimal assembly line down time and the building excitement with us consumers. Win-win for all :)
I wouldn't call it building excitement. I'd call it frustration. I totally agree, that that is how they are building. It makes for efficiencies.. but surely they can accurately tell me when my Red Y is scheduled to be built!

Ordered MYLG MGrey on July 22nd and do not have a VIN yet which is understandable. But since my eta is oct (outside of the q3) can I not expect the car be ready for delivery by end of sep? Anyone with July end order in Dallas with a VIN ?

I wouldn't call it building excitement. I'd call it frustration. I totally agree, that that is how they are building. It makes for efficiencies.. but surely they can accurately tell me when my Red Y is scheduled to be built!
I have 4 engines in my shop that I can not finish due to parts shortages. I would think that Tesla has some sort of "schedule" for building cars but if it pops up that they are getting no tow bars this week then they need to switch it up. Hence our EDDs moving back and forth. I have worked in the automotive field for 27 years and I have never had such issues getting parts.

• Informative
Reactions: alekaras