Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MX, questions about towing, range, etc

go with 75D or 100D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI, I am a 85D MS owner form 2015, finally decided to give it to my Mom and ordered MX 100D, mostly because I intend on sometimes towing a camper close to the max 4,000-5,000 lbs. and finally have a bike/snowboard rack. I m truing to decide between 75D and 100D (have 1 day left to change) as the price difference is way too much off: at around $660 per kWh ($16,500 / 25kwh) where's for example the power wall is sold at about $420 per kWh (so I am better off stacking a couple of PW's, so to speak).
1. What can one expect in range reduction when towing close to 5,000 lbs on flat surface between 60-65 mph speeds?
2. Are there other advantages for 100D that I am not seeing, other then the 0.2 second speed increase, which is a basically none?
3. Does anyone know if upgrading to 100D could be possible in the future if I bought 75D?
4. Why is Tesla selling car battery for so much more per kWh as compared to the PW?

Any other notes are appreciated, $111K is a bit of a stretch for me, especially that I am not getting any $ for my MS.

Thanks, Also 5. Does anyone know if most superchargers now have the pull in spots that would accommodate MX with the camper, or is this going to be a pain to charge when traveling long distance? I did not pay attention until recently.

I’ve never been to a supercharger that you could use without disconnect trailer.
That's strange, I traveled from CO to FL a few times and saw many pull in spots, usually one, but I remember one Supercharger in FL off I-10 that had nothing but pull in spots and thought that was a new trend.

At $660 per kWh the base Model 3 pack of 60 kWh will be $40K ($660 per kWh x 60) -- for just the battery. Tesla will sell the entire car for $35k--this makes no sense to me. There is definitely a "penalty" for upgrading from MX 75D to 100D.

I also found this image where Tesla used to charge only $10,000 to upgrade from 60 to 85 kWh, now it's $16,500 on the Model X

Tesla-Design-Studio-70D.jpg

Thanks, I enjoyed reading your travel blog and pics. Nice Rig. Question: what is the weight of your Camper?

Also, 6. Does anyone know what the actual usable capacity of the MX 75D battery and total capacity? Are they using a larger battery and software limiting the capacity (similar to 60 kWh batteries)? If so, I believe those batteries are actually "healthier" since they will never be charged to 100%.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading your travel blog and pics. Nice Rig. Question: what is the weight of your Camper?.

Thanks. 2500 lbs dry. Max weight 3500 lbs. Probably 3000-3200 with our stuff based on tongue weight scale reading of 310lbs

Also, 6. Does anyone know what the actual usable capacity of the MX 75D battery and total capacity? Are they using a larger battery and software limiting the capacity (similar to 60 kWh batteries)? If so, I believe those batteries are actually "healthier" since they will never be charged to 100%.

72.6 kWh
Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values

We have a 75D, and I wish we had gone with the larger battery. I second (third? fourth?) that you get about half range. We are trying to decide whether to keep our car now or upgrade to a 100D. I love my car and it's interior configuration, but we've put over 30k miles on it in a little over a year, so we will need to decide to buy the extended warranty or trade in for a new one... or find a way to keep this one AND buy a new one. :p:p:p

We have a 75D, and I wish we had gone with the larger battery
...and would you pay the $16,500 difference at this point to upgrade to 100D?

I am thinking 100D will probably have less of the depreciation because it's more future proof or usable to more people, especially those who are towing?
On the other hand, there are now so many Superchargers and other EV chargers, and with more on the way, as compared to, say 2015, when going through OK and TX was a real challenge--I remember hypermiling and specifically finding campgrounds to charge overnight, while sleeping.

My suggestion - if you want to tow with your X, go with the largest battery possible. It will sometimes save you from range anxiety while towing. I love towing with the X. It is easy, but requires planning, and willingness to experience the adventures with supercharger locations, parking, and adapters at camping locales. Let us know what you decide. All the best, Jim

Reactions: ohmman
Thanks for all the replies, guys, after talking to my rep some more, there is no other difference between the 75D and 100D cars, and at $16,500 my camper is becoming a "golden" camper, or I might as well stay at the Hyatt. The weight difference is also about 500lbs, that I have to carry around all the time. My camping and long trips are only a few times/weeks a year, so is it worth the extra watts per mile?

I'm also self employed and generally don't mind spending more time at the supercharger as I can work out of the car.

Lastly for the 16,500 I can buy almost 50 shares of TSLA even after Elon's ordered "short squeeze" order (thanks Elon, it helps us on the long end) and I'll bet that will pay for the car's depreciation in the long run.

I only have a few hours to change my order, any last words out there?

Alternatively, I can get the 75D and buy a few Powerwalls (or other home batteries) then stick them into the camper, max out on camper solar, replace the generator and be able to charge the car out of the Airstream, if I am short on range (probably not while driving), thereby shifting the battery capacity to the camper--all with a 30% discount. Then the camper becomes a high end off grid mobile offie with a charging station. What do you think?

I agree
There’s a penalty to pay. Plus they forced me to buy the 72amp charger which I will never use. But I keep cars 15 years so got the 100 battery.

I ended up with the 72amp charger when I changed from my custom build that was taking forever, to an inventory car that had this option. It's came in handy a few times, at hotels and even service center where they can push the full amperage. Makes a difference in a hurry and has indeed been useful. Surprised each time, as it's not something that I needed, but like having.

Also, OP -- always get more range. I was on the fence as well, between 75D and 100D, but I use the hell out of this car and wish it had a 200kw battery... Always opt for more range, I've learned. Especially if you're towing.

I towed my mower to my dad's house when his mower died last summer, and just a small single axle flat bed with a tiny riding mower, usage was up about quite a bit. averaged about 600wh/m, where as I usually hover around 375-400. flat ground. Ohmann and Jim Vandegriff have done some extensive towing trips with their MX - tons of data in their threads.

Enjoy - best car ever. Minus those damn conversation starting doors... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcook4590