Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MX, questions about towing, range, etc

go with 75D or 100D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and would you pay the $16,500 difference at this point to upgrade to 100D?

I am thinking 100D will probably have less of the depreciation because it's more future proof or usable to more people, especially those who are towing?
On the other hand, there are now so many Superchargers and other EV chargers, and with more on the way, as compared to, say 2015, when going through OK and TX was a real challenge--I remember hypermiling and specifically finding campgrounds to charge overnight, while sleeping.
Absolutely would pay more... That extra cushion is definitely worth it if you're hauling or if you travel a lot.

The weight difference is also about 500lbs, that I have to carry around all the time. My camping and long trips are only a few times/weeks a year, so is it worth the extra watts per mile?

I don't believe the weight difference is 500 lbs, more like 330 lbs but still very significant when hauling it around all the time.

It really sounds like you can make do with the X 75D but the range is going to be pretty short when towing (sub 100 miles). But if you can make the relevant supercharger gaps and you are in no hurry then fine. We have an X 75D but don't tow with it and I have no regrets choosing the smaller battery. Performance is as good as an X 100D (I couldn't feel any difference in real world driving) and the weight saving is significant. Then there's all that cash in your pocket to haul around!

All right, fine, you sold me on 100D—I am getting it. I live in Colorado, and I just remembered that even my snowboarding trip to the Winter Park requires almost a full charge on my MS 85D as there are no convenient chargers on the way, so driving a heavier vehicle with a smaller battery would make things much worse, and the kids unhappier, if we had to add an additional hour or two to the trip.
Plus, I think 100D is far more future proof, as I also intend to keep this one for a long time, given that supercharging is included and it will hopefully have level 5 autonomy, one day. Now I’ll be waiting for the stock to dip, so that I can buy $16,500 more worth of it, perhaps on a margin, Lol.
Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

Unless you find yourself driving more than ~230 miles (range of 75D) but less than ~290 miles (range of 100D), then the upgrade isn't worth it. Because if you drive greater than 290 miles you have to stop to charge anyways.

My OA told me unless you use the extra range more than a couple times a month, its not worth the extra $16k.

I ended up with the 72amp charger when I changed from my custom build that was taking forever, to an inventory car that had this option. It's came in handy a few times, at hotels and even service center where they can push the full amperage. Makes a difference in a hurry and has indeed been useful. Surprised each time, as it's not something that I needed, but like having.
Enjoy - best car ever. Minus those damn conversation starting doors... ;)
Thanks for the suggestions, I've been a few times in a situation with my MS 85D where the higher Amp charger would her been useful. I will have to learn to live with the weird doors and already telling my kids to only use 1 of the FWD at a time--to reduce wear and tear. The MS has a similar problem with self-presenting handles, 3 of which have already been replaced on my car with only 47k miles on it, and I heard similar stories from others.

As far as 100D, I remember one time coming from snowboarding in my woman's Audi A4 Quattro when a heavy snow storm started around the Loveland Pass in Colorado. It was getting dark, the snow was piling up on the road very quickly and probably approaching a foot but we would not dare to stop "to measure", no plows in sight, most other cars stopped behind us and and we were facing a possibility of spending a night on the road snowed in. We were following a heavier vehicle in it's tracks and knew if it or we stopped we would not be able to drive any further as our car's bottom was already touching the fresh power. The MX 100D would solve all 3 problems: it is heavy, has air suspension, and probably enough battery capacity to spend a night (or two) comfy while snowed in sub-zero temps.

The one negative about 100D and it's weight is cornering while on ice or snowy roads--it is like to be worse then my MS as the weight wants to slide the car when taking the turns even a little too fast--will have to be even more cautious in those conditions.

Just have to make sure you do a LOT of snowboarding trips and then that's a good enough reason to splash all the extra cash. Or you could just hire a heli with the saving, lol!
Keep in mind that bout half of the $16k is probably coming back when (and if) the car is sold, so I just need to do about $8k worth of snowboarding and towing, Lol. I also think that after 100-150k miles on it the true range with 75D will be around 200 miles and around 260 miles with 100D. The 100D will probably have less of the battery degradation since it will only be charged to 100% and discharged to 0 fewer times then 75D. I charged my MS to 100% only 4-5 times over 47k miles and it still showed around 258 miles (out of 265) total range last time it was at 100%.

Here's my musical piece showing my midnight silver MS affections (I am giving this MS to my Mom, to replace her 2010 Chevy Aveo POS):

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Keep in mind that bout half of the $16k is probably coming back when (and if) the car is sold, so I just need to do about $8k worth of snowboarding and towing, Lol. I also think that after 100-150k miles on it the true range with 75D will be around 200 miles and around 260 miles with 100D. The 100D will probably have less of the battery degradation since it will only be charged to 100% and discharged to 0 fewer times then 75D. I charged my MS to 100% only 4-5 times over 47k miles and it still showed around 258 miles (out of 265) total range last time it was at 100%.

Here's my musical piece showing my midnight silver MS affections (I am giving this MS to my Mom, to replace her 2010 Chevy Aveo POS):
Beautiful!

That's strange, I traveled from CO to FL a few times and saw many pull in spots, usually one, but I remember one Supercharger in FL off I-10 that had nothing but pull in spots and thought that was a new trend.

At $660 per kWh the base Model 3 pack of 60 kWh will be $40K ($660 per kWh x 60) -- for just the battery. Tesla will sell the entire car for $35k--this makes no sense to me. There is definitely a "penalty" for upgrading from MX 75D to 100D.

The price difference is a bit less per kWh, 75 battery roughly 75.5 kWh including buffer, 100kw is 102 kWh including buffer and has different cooling so you have 71.5kWh vs 98kWh

Remember also that having a 100D will save you a lot of time when towing. My 90D requires a 100% charge to make it to the next Supercharger in many locations, and that last 5% can take a very long time. If I had a 100D, I'd likely save 15-25 minutes at each Supercharger stop.

If/when Tesla comes out with a larger battery on the X, I'll be likely to upgrade from our 90D because it'll enable getting to farther off campsites and will save a ton of time on longer trips.

These are excellent points, ohmman, so I am getting a 26.5 kWh of useable battery upgrade instead of the 25 kwh! And I agree, the last 5% of charging would be painfully long especially with kids. I am also thinking of the Airstream Basecamp, which is a bit lighter at like 3,500 lbs loaded then the others. It comes with 2 optional tents. Would you estimate my range with the Bsecampt to be around 200 miles on a full charge with 100D?

I am also considering wrapping the MX in matte silver or Flexchrome wrap, just starting to learn about the wrap options, so if anyone has suggestions or experience let me know. I had this Boxster below custom painted as the previous owner had a poor job done with the rear bumper after a minor accident. The Boxster is long gone, but it looked very contrasting with the my then new MS.
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG