Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MY LR but wanting MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you factor in resale value, the cost difference b/w a Model Y LR and Model Y Performance is practically nill.

Therefore, if you can stomach the extra payments then it's a no-brainer to go with the Performance. Swap out 21"s for 19" and not only will you get similar range as LR but your performance will be better too.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
Question for those that might be familiar. Is there a way to add the AB to the order itself and not have to wait till after I get the car? I am leasing and unless I can add the AB to my payments and amortize it makes no sense for me to ever get it, since the AB would just go with the car in three years. The SA I spoke with seemed unsure whether they could add this to the order as opposed to me purchasing post receipt of the Y.

Why the desire for performance? You already can gently push on the power pedal and leave every gas car in your rear view at a green light. My wife's single motor model 3 beats everything off the line at the light. Who are you racing? Even hot rod Corvettes are left in the dust when going head to head with a Tesla, and, heck, they won't even race, acting like they're not interested. And Tesla's quiet power keeps the cop's eyes and ears on the Corvette, anyway.

Going with "performance" is definitely a "no brainer", as in, if you pay for it you obviously don't use your brain. Sort of in the same league as the "size matters" thinking, when it's obvious it doesn't. Of course power is fun, but don't let it run your life. Paying for performance you'll never use is definitely a "no brainer".

Why the desire for performance? You already can gently push on the power pedal and leave every gas car in your rear view at a green light. My wife's single motor model 3 beats everything off the line at the light. Who are you racing? Even hot rod Corvettes are left in the dust when going head to head with a Tesla, and, heck, they won't even race, acting like they're not interested. And Tesla's quiet power keeps the cop's eyes and ears on the Corvette, anyway.

Going with "performance" is definitely a "no brainer", as in, if you pay for it you obviously don't use your brain. Sort of in the same league as the "size matters" thinking, when it's obvious it doesn't. Of course power is fun, but don't let it run your life. Paying for performance you'll never use is definitely a "no brainer".
Why the desire for performance? Because I can. Not sure if you understand but most hot rods don't race you because we know we are fast. There are more positions to a throttle pedal aside from wide open or closed. In fact, its usually the slower cars that have a tendency to jump off the line like they have something to prove (small dog theory). Also, they're not acting they're not interested... they're genuinely not interested. But that's the funny thing, you're driving around thinking you're so fast and they're all scared of your car when in fact they just don't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucsdsig
Interesting thread. You've got people writing books talking themselves into paying slightly less for a more pedestrian car, Model S buyers who say paying for performance is stupid, and some people who think $4500 more (if you AB and add Induction, because those stock wheels, damn...) for a much faster, and better handling, car makes sense.

The wheel point is valid. Why put 40 lb. pigs on the MYP? Makes no sense. Fortunately is it easily solvable. I put together a 26 lb., 20" package with Michelin Pilot 4s that will run close to what I can get for the Uber setup. This offers several benefits:

1) Significant increase in acceleration, up to .3 second 0-60 as demonstrated on YouTube with Martian wheels and a Dragy
2) A bump in range, both from decreasing the wheel size and also greatly reducing the unsprung weight
3) A cushier ride, if you consider that a benefit. I do want to tame those 21s a bit
4) Pot hole protection
5) Curb protection! Those 21s sticking out begging for damage just makes no sense.

Winner winner chicken dinner...

Maybe they made the Ubers heavy to slow the thing down 😁

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Arctic_White
It all depends on your priorities if you can afford the increase, if you find it a good value, etc. I am glad we have options. It would have been a much harder choice if there wasn't the AB option.

My original plan go with the MYP and dump the Ubers. Watching the prices sync on these in the for sale section has been very eye-opening. They are dropping faster in price than some crypto currencies have lately. Regardless it seems the best way to go with them; dump them and buy true performance wheels. If luckly it will be a wash to get rid of them for what you find new ones for.

I would have to say that Car and Driver was pretty accurate in their review of the MYP.

Some interesting tidbits of info when you look at the numbers. Here are their test results for the MYP.

MYP
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.6 sec
100 mph: 9.1 sec
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph
130 mph: 17.8 sec
150 mph: 29.5 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.8 sec
Top speed (mfr's claim): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 154 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 324 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.94 g

MY LR (no AB)
C/D TEST RESULTS
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 4.4 sec
130 mph: 17.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.0 sec
1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 136 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 161 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

First the MYP doesn't meet its published number for 0-60 even factoring in the rollout. The MY LR beat its numbers. I tested several different MYPs now with both Dragy and Racebox, SOCs 90% or so, and not a single one hit their numbers of 3.5 sec 0-60 with rollout. The M3Ps I have tested have usually been pretty close to their 3.1. The MY LRs I've tested, have usually beaten their numbers even with a fairly low SOC 70% by comparison.

When you look ac C&D's numbers, the 50-70 metric, the MY LR is very close to the MYP, even though the MYP is quicker. But look at the very interesting nuggets there. In the 0-130 mph run, the MY LR (no AB) beat the M3P! The MY LR also had high trap speeds in the quarter. This also seems to validate a similar comparison done real time between the flavors of the M3 in the UK. As the speeds went up, the LR matched, the Performance version while rolling, if not actually started to pull it from 70 mph on up. I assume the same is going on here.

According to Telsa, the 0-60 delta between the two is 1.3 seconds as they don't factor in rollout for the MY LR. Here the delta is .8 second 0-60. If you believe Tesla and it drops the 0-60 by .6 seconds with the AB, that shrinks the delta to .2 seconds faster for the MYP of the MY LR AB. That isn't a huge amount, but maybe worth it to some.

So is Tesla dumping a lot more power to the drivetrain initially to get the impressive times for 0-60 and then have to dial it back because they can't maintain that level for sustained periods? Reading between the lines here a bit, if I were to slap on the lightweight wheels on the MY LR, it will definitely give the MYP a good run likely from about 50-60 mph and up. I think the MY LR or M3 LR has a great opportunity to be a pretty cool sleeper to use an old hot rod term. There is not doubt the MYP launches harder, but I would think twice about running a MY LR from a roll. It looks to be pretty close and not a total blowout like the 0-60 times would indicate and if the LR has AB, it might take the MYP.

Anyway, I probably will get there at some point with these mods to my MY LR. The Gemini 19's aren't as heavy as the 21 Ubers so not as much of a gain to be had there but it won't hurt. Will be fun to document it as I go. At this point I have one feature you can't get in the MYP anyway; 7 seats.

Last edited:
It all depends on your priorities if you can afford the increase, if you find it a good value, etc. I am glad we have options. It would have been a much harder choice if there wasn't the AB option.

My original plan go with the MYP and dump the Ubers. Watching the prices sync on these in the for sale section has been very eye-opening. They are dropping faster in price than some crypto currencies have lately. Regardless it seems the best way to go with them; dump them and buy true performance wheels. If luckly it will be a wash to get rid of them for what you find new ones for.

I would have to say that Car and Driver was pretty accurate in their review of the MYP.

Some interesting tidbits of info when you look at the numbers. Here are their test results for the MYP.

MYP
C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.6 sec
100 mph: 9.1 sec
1/4 mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph
130 mph: 17.8 sec
150 mph: 29.5 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.8 sec
Top speed (mfr's claim): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 154 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 324 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.94 g

MY LR (no AB)
C/D TEST RESULTS
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 4.4 sec
130 mph: 17.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.0 sec
1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 136 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 161 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

First the MYP doesn't meet its published number for 0-60 even factoring in the rollout. The MY LR beat its numbers. I tested several different MYPs now with both Dragy and Racebox, SOCs 90% or so, and not a single one hit their numbers of 3.5 sec 0-60 with rollout. The M3Ps I have tested have usually been pretty close to their 3.1. The MY LRs I've tested, have usually beaten their numbers even with a fairly low SOC 70% by comparison.

When you look ac C&D's numbers, the 50-70 metric, the MY LR is very close to the MYP, even though the MYP is quicker. But look at the very interesting nuggets there. In the 0-130 mph run, the MY LR (no AB) beat the M3P! The MY LR also had high trap speeds in the quarter. This also seems to validate a similar comparison done real time between the flavors of the M3 in the UK. As the speeds went up, the LR matched, the Performance version while rolling, if not actually started to pull it from 70 mph on up. I assume the same is going on here.

According to Telsa, the 0-60 delta between the two is 1.3 seconds as they don't factor in rollout for the MY LR. Here the delta is .8 second 0-60. If you believe Tesla and it drops the 0-60 by .6 seconds with the AB, that shrinks the delta to .2 seconds faster for the MYP of the MY LR AB. That isn't a huge amount, but maybe worth it to some.

So is Tesla dumping a lot more power to the drivetrain initially to get the impressive times for 0-60 and then have to dial it back because they can't maintain that level for sustained periods? Reading between the lines here a bit, if I were to slap on the lightweight wheels on the MY LR, it will definitely give the MYP a good run likely from about 50-60 mph and up. I think the MY LR or M3 LR has a great opportunity to be a pretty cool sleeper to use an old hot rod term. There is not doubt the MYP launches harder, but I would think twice about running a MY LR from a roll. It looks to be pretty close and not a total blowout like the 0-60 times would indicate and if the LR has AB, it might take the MYP.

Anyway, I probably will get there at some point with these mods to my MY LR. The Gemini 19's aren't as heavy as the 21 Ubers so not as much of a gain to be had there but it won't hurt. Will be fun to document it as I go. At this point I have one feature you can't get in the MYP anyway; 7 seats.
Great info. I did consider backing off to the LR but in the end the MYP is the right choice for me. There is no wrong answer, they are all great cars. And yes, it's good we have options. I can't imagine wanting those rear seats in the 7-seater, but I'm sure you will find them very useful.

Thursday pickup and drive home should be interesting! I hope it came out of the oven fully baked...

Congrats if yours is finally showing up! At least the roads around you aren't terrible. Well they weren't when I lived in that area.

I really don't think there are bad choices among them, maybe better ones based on your needs. I drove an M3 SR+ and was surprised by how fun it was.

It would be interesting to compare the times at different SOCs for the MYP, MY LR AB and MY LR. Below is an interesting dyno plot of the output of the M3 variants. Should be fairly similar for the MY's. What I think was interesting reading this is how the power of the M3P peaks at about 80 kph. It starts dropping from there.

The LR AB maintains its power to about 130 kph then starts to drop off. At that point, though it has intersected the M3P's power level and they both taper off at about the same rate. The base LR pretty much maintains power all the way to the end where it pretty much meets the M3P and M3 LR AB at about 150 kmh. All in all the graph nicely shows the advantage the Performance version has over the other two. It also shows that the 2k buy-in of the AB nicely splits the difference between the standard LR and the Performance version. I think the graph makes it easier to determine where the sweet spot is for you based on the speed ranges that matter.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
I got the LR for several reasons.

1: More range. Everyone I have talked to always says that it is best to have as much range as possible.

2: Smaller wheels and tires. Not only are smaller wheels and tires less susceptible to damage but the tires are much cheaper and more common as well.

3: More ground clearance. If I'm buying any SUV I want as much ground clearance as possible. The Model Y is already low for an SUV and the Performance version is even lower.

4: 4.8 seconds 0 - 60 is already ridiculously fast especially for a medium - large SUV. It easily beats the vast majority of ICE cars on the road except for the most over powered performance vehicles and with the acceleration boost it basically beats everything other than other Teslas and a few exotics. Also since the vast majority of my driving is in bumper to bumper traffic speed basically doesn't matter at all and I drive in chill most of the time.

5: It's cheaper.

Basically my thoughts are that if you really care about performance don't get an SUV the Model 3 Performance is more or less the same price as the Model Y Long Range and it destroys the Model Y Performance. If speed and performance were my primary desires I would get the Model 3 Performance but since I only want the Y for it's practicality it made more sense to get the more practical trim.

Basically my thoughts are that if you really care about performance don't get an SUV the Model 3 Performance is more or less the same price as the Model Y Long Range and it destroys the Model Y Performance. If speed and performance were my primary desires I would get the Model 3 Performance but since I only want the Y for it's practicality it made more sense to get the more practical trim.
Problem is, the Model 3 is very impractical compared to the Y. In addition, someone like me who is 6'4" is not comfortable in the 3. So if you want to carry anything (including bikes on a hitch rack), be more confortable, and have better performance, the MYP is clearly the way to go.

Also, the Y is not an SUV, it's a sporty Crossover. Except for the tall roof it's really just a hatchback. If you want an SUV you are still stuck in ICE.

Tesla community is toxic about a lot of things, including this topic in general. Here's what people asking this question should do: 1. Drive MY LR 2. Drive MY P 3. Order the one you like best.

If you can't afford MY P or it's a stretch, don't buy it.

If you're going to race your car or try to be competitive at track days, put money into making it lightweight. Otherwise, enjoy your fast car, whichever model you buy. If you don't have a specific need for a racer feel, maybe think about LR.

These threads are really useless for people deciding what they should buy, and filled with hyperbolic opinions - looking at you "no brains" dude. What people should be doing is to understand the models/offerings, ask themselves what they can reasonably afford and how they want to feel about and experience their car after they buy it, and then understand how the various models/offerings will get them closer to or further from their financial objectives and whatever feeling about their car that they want.

Last edited:
Tesla community is toxic about a lot of things, including this topic in general. Here's what people asking this question should do: 1. Drive MY LR 2. Drive MY P 3. Order the one you like best.

If you're going to race your car or try to be competitive at track days, put money into making it lightweight. Otherwise, enjoy your fast car, whichever model you buy. If you don't have a specific need for a racer feel, maybe think about LR.

These threads are really useless for people deciding what they should buy, and filled with hyperbolic opinions - looking at you "no brains" dude. What people should be doing is to understand the models/offerings, ask themselves what they can reasonably afford and how they want to feel about and experience their car after they buy it, and then understand how the various models/offerings will get them closer to or further from their financial objectives and whatever feeling about their car that they want.
Great post.

As the OP, the reason I posted this was not to start arguments or promote toxicity, which I believe there hasn’t been, but seeking opinions on what it’s l like to own an MYP or an LR from a handling perspective, not just as a speedy crossover. I have test driven both, but those were just that, test drives not ownership. Therefore I can only seek the opinion of others about both models till I own one or the other.

While there will always be disagreement, heck there are disagreements about color, wheels and even ride comfort, many can and have stated their preferences one way or the other, I believe, without bickering.

The problem is short test drives aren't really enough to get a feel for the car. If I had only gone on a short test drive, based on the time allowed, and the roads nearby, we would have bought the MYP and likely regretted it. Test drives aren't the same as ownership. For us it wasn't about cost, but fit for purpose and how we intended to use it. Also you want a 7 seater, the MYP isn't an option.

If I hadn't read some of the "toxic threads", where I think a lot of it has been healthy discourse, not like-minded group think, I don't think I would have been as aware of things like the Uber wheel issues. Going back on to the Tesla store for several drives and looking at the wheels on the MYP and M3P, really validated what I was reading on this point in particular. I don't mind spending money to get what I want, I just don't want to pay for something that I'll practically end up throwing away.

These threads also help me more clearly identify what mattered to me and the pros/cons of each model as viewed through the subjective lens of the reviewer. I have a good idea of generally what works for me and have become fairly adept at understanding other's concerns about their vehicles and how that resonates or impacts me. I always look at the location of the people posting. As they say, context is everything. Cars that I've owned in some areas and was very happy with, would have made me miserable in other locations.

It is all about compromise and collecting the data you need to make the best decision for your environment, use, family and budget. Given the long lead times, and scarce availability, it is even more important to identify what matters to you. At their core, all the versions are very similar as Tesla didn't color very far outside the lines when creating the performance version. It is all how you dress them up. I don't think anyone is saying the MYP is a terrible car or the MY LR is slow as heck. For me understanding the differences saved me from buying the wrong and possibly throwing a fair bit more $ and time to get it to what I expected out of it. If it got me to where I really wanted it to be (it wouldn't) then it might be worth it. The spousal impact can't be underestimated in my household.

From reading here, and doing additional research, I realize I can't really get to where I want if I were to make my ultimate MY. Maybe the MYP exactly ticks all the right boxes for some of you. That is awesome if it does. I would want the acceleration of the M3P, the track mode as well, good suspension, lightweight 19" or 20" wheels (squared config), and a few other tweaks. I really wish Tesla would incorporate lessons from the M models of BMW or the AMG models of MB.

As someone who switched from LR to P, I’d make the switch every. single. time. if $ weren’t a factor.

Initially I went from a P3D to LRY, so that’s my perspective.

The MYP is just so much more fun to drive, and I’m not just talking about the acceleration, although that is absolutely insane, and vastly different than the Non-boosted LR imo. But it’s really the handling that makes it so much better, it feels much closer to driving the Model 3, though still not as good, but the lowered setup/tires/suspension differences make a huge difference to me, as someone who likes “spirited” driving. If you’re on the fence, I’d go P, but obviously it’s just an opinion.

Don’t take this as a knock against the LR, because it’s still ridiculously good, and I imagine that much better with acceleration boost. Heck, the SR is a great car. But if you’re on the fence, and you’re leaning P, go for P.

As someone who switched from LR to P, I’d make the switch every. single. time. if $ weren’t a factor.

Initially I went from a P3D to LRY, so that’s my perspective.

The MYP is just so much more fun to drive, and I’m not just talking about the acceleration, although that is absolutely insane, and vastly different than the Non-boosted LR imo. But it’s really the handling that makes it so much better, it feels much closer to driving the Model 3, though still not as good, but the lowered setup/tires/suspension differences make a huge difference to me, as someone who likes “spirited” driving. If you’re on the fence, I’d go P, but obviously it’s just an opinion.

Don’t take this as a knock against the LR, because it’s still ridiculously good, and I imagine that much better with acceleration boost. Heck, the SR is a great car. But if you’re on the fence, and you’re leaning P, go for P.
Thanks, that is the main perspective of this thread…..the handling aspect. I welcome that from both MYP and LR owners.