Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MY LR but wanting MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I could, hence the reason I posted the link for the lighter wheels on the MYP. I looked at that as well. But then I am making a fairly expensive car even more so. Add at least 3k to a 60k+ car. Trying to recover some money by selling the 21" Ubers don't bring much at resale time based on my research. The lighter wheels might just get it to hang with the MME GT Perf edition too, at least in acceleration, and that is speculation as no hard data yet on the MME.

While not a direct example, there are a few vids showing that the M3P vs M3 LR with AB, with the M3P getting pulled at higher speeds by the LR. I think the guy at drag times even posted a vid where his M3P and M3 LR AB were super close in acceleration. I would love to see that comparison between the MYP and M3 LR.

My hope is that once the MME performance variants are out, and maybe whipping enough MYPs to get Elon's attention, that maybe a software HP increase will be out and I'll revisit my decision again. I don't dislike the MYP, it was my first choice when my wife didn't want to go with an M3.

I realize I may give up some absolute performance compared to the MYP if I buy the MY LR. My thought is to drive the MY LR stock for a while and see if I really need more for a daily driver and boat/motorcycle hauler. If I do, I'll try the AB option or another one. If that doesn't pan out, the market is pretty solid for used Teslas and I can always bail if I hate it enough and buy the MYP, possibly without losing my shirt if the used values in my area are any indication. Or just keep it, give it to my wife and drive the MS all the time when it arrives. The 8-9k price delta is worth taking a chance on to roll with the MY LR.

Yes I could, hence the reason I posted the link for the lighter wheels on the MYP. I looked at that as well. But then I am making a fairly expensive car even more so. Add at least 3k to a 60k+ car. Trying to recover some money by selling the 21" Ubers don't bring much at resale time based on my research. The lighter wheels might just get it to hang with the MME GT Perf edition too, at least in acceleration, and that is speculation as no hard data yet on the MME.

While not a direct example, there are a few vids showing that the M3P vs M3 LR with AB, with the M3P getting pulled at higher speeds by the LR. I think the guy at drag times even posted a vid where his M3P and M3 LR AB were super close in acceleration. I would love to see that comparison between the MYP and M3 LR.

My hope is that once the MME performance variants are out, and maybe whipping enough MYPs to get Elon's attention, that maybe a software HP increase will be out and I'll revisit my decision again. I don't dislike the MYP, it was my first choice when my wife didn't want to go with an M3.

I realize I may give up some absolute performance compared to the MYP if I buy the MY LR. My thought is to drive the MY LR stock for a while and see if I really need more for a daily driver and boat/motorcycle hauler. If I do, I'll try the AB option or another one. If that doesn't pan out, the market is pretty solid for used Teslas and I can always bail if I hate it enough and buy the MYP, possibly without losing my shirt if the used values in my area are any indication. Or just keep it, give it to my wife and drive the MS all the time when it arrives. The 8-9k price delta is worth taking a chance on to roll with the MY LR.
Hah, you are now swaying me to just keep my LR order. Just as you, I do wake up thinking MYP some days and others LR. My thought now is having to spend the extra and yet still having to spend more to customize the MYP for that .7 second you cannnot get with a LR with AB is getting harder for me to rationalize.

So, I drove my buddy's MYP for a while today, for the second time in a month. Did several full accelerations from stop, and a couple from 30MPH or so.

Holy hell! It is just stupid fast. That smooth, launch-coaster acceleration, with little sound. There's just nothing like it.

For what it's worth, the LR is probably fast enough for most people, or anyone for a street car, with the speed boost. And it would be for me, had I not driven a Performance! :D

If you’re going to play the game of getting lighter wheels to get faster you could always do the same with a Performance. LR owners just need to face the fact it is not going to be as fast as a performance model. Stock for stock you guys get a more comfortable ride and longer range but less performance.
Couldn't agree more. I plan to buy the stock Gemini wheels (used) for my MYP as winter tires which would give me the same range as an LR and improved 0-60 times (win, win). I know I'm spending more by doing this, but no different than LR owners spending on boost, wheels, painted calipers, etc. At the end of the day I wanted the performance model and the speed that LRs cannot achieve or at least without hacking something and voiding your warranty.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
So, I drove my buddy's MYP for a while today, for the second time in a month. Did several full accelerations from stop, and a couple from 30MPH or so.

Holy hell! It is just stupid fast. That smooth, launch-coaster acceleration, with little sound. There's just nothing like it.

For what it's worth, the LR is probably fast enough for most people, or anyone for a street car, with the speed boost. And it would be for me, had I not driven a Performance! :D
Hah, and I am in an MYP mood today too……..it’s Friday.
Couldn't agree more. I plan to buy the stock Gemini wheels (used) for my MYP as winter tires which would give me the same range as an LR and improved 0-60 times (win, win). I know I'm spending more by doing this, but no different than LR owners spending on boost, wheels, painted calipers, etc. At the end of the day I wanted the performance model and the speed that LRs cannot achieve or at least without hacking something and voiding your warranty.
That’s the biggest mod most MYP owners make is new tires/wheels. Problem is that adds $3-4K to the price, unless you sell the Ubers and the value on those are dropping quickly. I would just get all seasons for the Ubers.

Hah, and I am in an MYP mood today too……..it’s Friday.

That’s the biggest mod most MYP owners make is new tires/wheels. Problem is that adds $3-4K to the price, unless you sell the Ubers and the value on those are dropping quickly. I would just get all seasons for the Ubers.
I actually found a complete set of Geminis on craigslist for $1,000 with less than 1,000 miles on them. I'm probably one of the few people that like the stock 21 Ubers but I'm curious to see what 19's will feel like and 0-60. So the plan for me is to have 2 sets of tires and rotate depending on the season or if I'm bored of one look.

I actually found a complete set of Geminis on craigslist for $1,000 with less than 1,000 miles on them. I'm probably one of the few people that like the stock 21 Ubers but I'm curious to see what 19's will feel like and 0-60. So the plan for me is to have 2 sets of tires and rotate depending on the season or if I'm bored of one look.
I like the stock 21 Ubers, I think they look great. And I certainly didn't feel like they were holding my friends car back. However, Martian 19s save 17lb per corner and that is huge. I'll see how I feel about the ride on the 21s I guess...

Not really feeling the Gemini’s at all especially for an MYP not even for free.

I went back to the store and drove them again (MY LR, MYP, M3 LR and M3P). Out of these, the one that impresses me the most is the M3P. It is clearly quicker than the MYP and a lot more fun to drive all around. If it wasn't for my wife, that is the one that would be in my garage for a daily driver. It definitely launches harder than the MYP. From about 20+ mph, the M3P and MYP are pretty close. But then again, the M3 LR and MY LR aren't that far behind their performance counterparts when on a roll.

I needed to find something from inventory as our delivery date was pushed way out when I changed from MYP to MY LR. There were several MYP and M3Ps nearby so I wanted one last go to see if I was making the right decision. Well, I put my money where my mouth is. I went for the MY LR. It wasn't exactly as we ordered but close enough. Delivery is set for June 5th - 8th.

I am fine with the Geminis. Can't say I love them but they'll work for now. I plan to drive it for a month, and if I need more, I'll do the AB. For 95%+ of my driving, the MY LR will be quick enough. If I need a real adrenalin rush, I have some very quick/fast sportbikes that work. The 9k saving is more use to me than the second savings in 0-60 times. Not to mention the new battery pack MYs are around the corner. I'd bet since they are low production, that they'll go into the MYP first for MIT MYs. That means in real terms the MYP will be obsolete in its current config sooner and depreciate more quickly. I would say it would similar to the pricing on early MS P85's.

So if I really like the MY long term, and they come out with a vastly new and improved MYP, then maybe we'll see about selling this one. They are all fun cars and have a very compelling rationale to buy. If the MYP is worth the extra money, then awesome. Enjoy!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I went back to the store and drove them again (MY LR, MYP, M3 LR and M3P). Out of these, the one that impresses me the most is the M3P. It is clearly quicker than the MYP and a lot more fun to drive all around. If it wasn't for my wife, that is the one that would be in my garage for a daily driver. It definitely launches harder than the MYP. From about 20+ mph, the M3P and MYP are pretty close. But then again, the M3 LR and MY LR aren't that far behind their performance counterparts when on a roll.

I needed to find something from inventory as our delivery date was pushed way out when I changed from MYP to MY LR. There were several MYP and M3Ps nearby so I wanted one last go to see if I was making the right decision. Well, I put my money where my mouth is. I went for the MY LR. It wasn't exactly as we ordered but close enough. Delivery is set for June 5th - 8th.

I am fine with the Geminis. Can't say I love them but they'll work for now. I plan to drive it for a month, and if I need more, I'll do the AB. For 95%+ of my driving, the MY LR will be quick enough. If I need a real adrenalin rush, I have some very quick/fast sportbikes that work. The 9k saving is more use to me than the second savings in 0-60 times. Not to mention the new battery pack MYs are around the corner. I'd bet since they are low production, that they'll go into the MYP first for MIT MYs. That means in real terms the MYP will be obsolete in its current config sooner and depreciate more quickly. I would say it would similar to the pricing on early MS P85's.

So if I really like the MY long term, and they come out with a vastly new and improved MYP, then maybe we'll see about selling this one. They are all fun cars and have a very compelling rationale to buy. If the MYP is worth the extra money, then awesome. Enjoy!
Congrats on the LR! I 100% agree with you about the M3P. If I was still married and had access to an SUV I would get the M3P as my daily. It has better handling, is faster, not to mention cheaper than the MYP. Since I do not have access to an SUV, the MY is a better choice for me as an all around vehicle.

I have my MY LR for a day. My initial plan was to drive it for a month and then see if would put AB on it. In the back of my mind, I doubted if I would even go 24 hours without buying.

What has totally shocked me is I haven't even thought about adding AB to it yet. I think it is because there aren't that many stops in my normal driving patterns. That it is where the MYP and MY LR AB would really show the speed advantage. In normal roll-on I am really enjoying the stock acceleration in most situations. I may actually wait much longer than a month to when I am used the stock acceleration. As long as I don't drive my faster vehicles too close to the MY, it will probably be fine for a while.

Then I'll add it and make it feel like I am getting a new car. Like something to spice up the marriage so to speak. So far really enjoying the car but totally unimpressed with the AP.

I took delivery of my MYP last week and I was a little concerned if the ride would be too stiff (only test drove the MY LR). I have no idea what the complaints are, it drives awesome, not too stiff for me at all. I am considering swapping the wheels for some 20's, only because the rim lip really sticks out and is begging for some curb contact. My wife will most likely drive this occasionally and she loves hitting curbs... That and the tires are summer tires and I live in the PNW and really need an all-season tire. Make the change, if you're on the fence, you will not regret it at all!

Reactions: ucsdsig
I have my MY LR for a day. My initial plan was to drive it for a month and then see if would put AB on it. In the back of my mind, I doubted if I would even go 24 hours without buying.

What has totally shocked me is I haven't even thought about adding AB to it yet. I think it is because there aren't that many stops in my normal driving patterns. That it is where the MYP and MY LR AB would really show the speed advantage. In normal roll-on I am really enjoying the stock acceleration in most situations. I may actually wait much longer than a month to when I am used the stock acceleration. As long as I don't drive my faster vehicles too close to the MY, it will probably be fine for a while.

Then I'll add it and make it feel like I am getting a new car. Like something to spice up the marriage so to speak. So far really enjoying the car but totally unimpressed with the AP.
Congrats on the car. Since I am leasing I will most likely not get the AB, since it goes with the car when I turn it in. For me it’s either MYP or LR without AB. I think once you get used to the basic LR, most will just stick with that.......As long as you stay away from driving an MYP!

I took delivery of my MYP last week and I was a little concerned if the ride would be too stiff (only test drove the MY LR). I have no idea what the complaints are, it drives awesome, not too stiff for me at all. I am considering swapping the wheels for some 20's, only because the rim lip really sticks out and is begging for some curb contact. My wife will most likely drive this occasionally and she loves hitting curbs... That and the tires are summer tires and I live in the PNW and really need an all-season tire. Make the change, if you're on the fence, you will not regret it at all!
That’s what I figured. The ride is really not that bad. I would most likely just go with all seasons on the Uber’s. My decision now is less about the ride of the MYP and more so if a larger payment is worth it for how much I presently drive.

I think a lot of things come into play if you will like the ride quality of the MYP. What cars you currently own. What roads you drive on now. How do you drive? Your expectations? Do you have experience with cars that have well-sorted suspension? And a lot of others.

If Tesla still made a stealth version, or the PuP was optional, I would have gone with the MYP as I am a speed freak at heart. Looking in my garage would back that up. I feel there are too many compromises or choices that don't work well for me.

As for @Surfit34, I would have been in the same situation and buying wheels/tires. Based on how low brand new 21" Ubers takeoffs go for, it is obvious few people have a high opinion of them. Yet I am sure you are being charged about 3-4k for these terrible wheels. Then drop another 3-4k other end to get rid of them. Not to mention the staggered setup (of very limited benefit here) means you can't easily rotate your tires front to rear, unless you go to an aftermarket square setup, or waste the time to dismount the left and right to swap. This isn't a RWD Porsche that can take advantage of this.

A half inch drop isn't even worth doing. Not mention it doesn't seem like they improved the shock absorbers to compensate. So I lose suspension travel and get my car hammered with a 70 pound wheel/tire combo everytime it bottoms out. I can honestly say my MY LR rides better, and still handles well (limited by the tires) compared to the MYP. If you have smooth roads, don't drive too aggressively, and are used to crappy suspension, then the MYP might be great as is. Awesome if you are the use case Tesla has in mind. If not, pony up another 3k for coilovers.

Why is there a huge upcharge, like the M3P, but not track option? Is the MYP such a pig, that it couldn't handle it? This is one area where the staggered wheel setup could have been fun (in track mode).

The brakes calipers appear to be the same, just the rotors are wider. Something I could easily do at home if I wanted. The only thing that is really worth buying out of the entire performance pack is the motor upgrades and power increase. Provide that instead for 5k, leave off the other junk, or have truly good options, and you'd sell a ton of them. I'd drop the 5k in a minute over 2k for AB. The rest of the options are pretty much throw away things that have little to no benefit, or potentially hurt the performance, in some situations, not to mention range.

If it makes you happy, spend your money however you want. The PuP is not a very good value for me. Tesla should follow BMW's and AMG's lead with a division that makes truly better performing cars as options. Eventually that tuning might make its way into the normal cars too and we all benefit.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucsdsig
I think a lot of things come into play if you will like the ride quality of the MYP. What cars you currently own. What roads you drive on now. How do you drive? Your expectations? Do you have experience with cars that have well-sorted suspension? And a lot of others.

If Tesla still made a stealth version, or the PuP was optional, I would have gone with the MYP as I am a speed freak at heart. Looking in my garage would back that up. I feel there are too many compromises or choices that don't work well for me.

As for @Surfit34, I would have been in the same situation and buying wheels/tires. Based on how low brand new 21" Ubers takeoffs go for, it is obvious few people have a high opinion of them. Yet I am sure you are being charged about 3-4k for these terrible wheels. Then drop another 3-4k other end to get rid of them. Not to mention the staggered setup (of very limited benefit here) means you can't easily rotate your tires front to rear, unless you go to an aftermarket square setup, or waste the time to dismount the left and right to swap. This isn't a RWD Porsche that can take advantage of this.

A half inch drop isn't even worth doing. Not mention it doesn't seem like they improved the shock absorbers to compensate. So I lose suspension travel and get my car hammered with a 70 pound wheel/tire combo everytime it bottoms out. I can honestly say my MY LR rides better, and still handles well (limited by the tires) compared to the MYP. If you have smooth roads, don't drive too aggressively, and are used to crappy suspension, then the MYP might be great as is. Awesome if you are the use case Tesla has in mind. If not, pony up another 3k for coilovers.

Why is there a huge upcharge, like the M3P, but not track option? Is the MYP such a pig, that it couldn't handle it? This is one area where the staggered wheel setup could have been fun (in track mode).

The brakes calipers appear to be the same, just the rotors are wider. Something I could easily do at home if I wanted. The only thing that is really worth buying out of the entire performance pack is the motor upgrades and power increase. Provide that instead for 5k, leave off the other junk, or have truly good options, and you'd sell a ton of them. I'd drop the 5k in a minute over 2k for AB. The rest of the options are pretty much throw away things that have little to no benefit, or potentially hurt the performance, in some situations, not to mention range.

If it makes you happy, spend your money however you want. The PuP is not a very good value for me. Tesla should follow BMW's and AMG's lead with a division that makes truly better performing cars as options. Eventually that tuning might make its way into the normal cars too and we all benefit.
I am used to firm suspensions as I usually drop every car I own and firm up the suspension, even on my current one an RX350. It no longer rides like a Lexus in sport mode. My old G37 rode like a rock.

I do agree about many of the other parts especially the wheels. I wish they would offer a choice on the MYP wheel package. They don’t because they end to give you a reason to spring for the extra $8,500 even with expensive wheels no one really wants.

Firm doesn't have to equal uncompliant. My Vette has what I'd call firm suspension but it doesn't ride like a truck either. If suspension is too stiff, it skips over bumps causing a loss in traction. Ideally you want the tire in contact with the pavement at all times. Overly stiff doesn't allow for that. On a race track you may have better surfaces so if the suspension is biased more toward firm, it isn't going to as much of an issue.

Firm doesn't always equal faster or better handling either. Here is a great article for those inclined to read it.

Firm doesn't have to equal uncompliant. My Vette has what I'd call firm suspension but it doesn't ride like a truck either. If suspension is too stiff, it skips over bumps causing a loss in traction. Ideally you want the tire in contact with the pavement at all times. Overly stiff doesn't allow for that. On a race track you may have better surfaces so if the suspension is biased more toward firm, it isn't going to as much of an issue.

Firm doesn't always equal faster or better handling either. Here is a great article for those inclined to read it.
Me personally I like firmer suspensions but for no other reason as when I hit a bump, I want hit it and keep going. Do not like suspensions that keep floating after you hit that bump. Drove a Lexus LS and it made me nauseous, with it’s float.

I had a C5 Vette, loved the suspension and handling, hated some other issues though, like it’s unreliability.

Great topic but all very subjective. For me, the MYP was the obvious choice. I prefer the responsive suspension and wheel/tire combo and the acceleration just puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. The relentless linear acceleration is such a major reason EVs are superior to ICE vehicles, and the more power the more this difference is obvious and just plain thrilling. If that's not your jam, I can understand, and maybe the P just isn't necessary. For me the stiffer suspension is very complimentary to the extra power. With the seats among the most comfortable I've felt in any car, it goes a long way in making the MYP still a great road trip car. Just my opinions.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
I agree it is subjective, but it is also relative. I personally don't think the MYP is enough for what you pay for it. I am not hating on the MYP, just felt like Tesla phoned it in on compared to what they could have done with it. It is sort of shady how there isn't a direct comparison with the MY LR numbers and the MYP. For the 0-60 times, the MYP factors in rollout, the numbers on the MY LR don't. Why not be consistent and do it wither with, or without, rollout for ALL claimed times.

Same for the M3 LR and the M3P. On paper, the difference seems a lot but in real life it isn't as much as it might seem and with AB the difference really shrinks. I ran some numbers while test driving and with a high SOC, no rollout, the demo M3P ran 3.43 and the MYP ran 3.86. The MY LR was 4.78 and the M3 LR was 4.19.

If you subtract the claimed .6 second reduction from the 0-60 time of the MY LR, that puts you at 4.18 vs 3.86. While significant that isn't enough to make me buy in for another 8-9k. I decided to use that savings toward a Model S which they claim is 3.1 sec 0-60 with no rollout.

I spend most of my time riding sportbikes so 3.8 vs 4.2 vs 4.8 are all slow by comparison anyway. At least we all have options and can buy something we like. I'd still like them to do more with the MYP than do the equivalent of what I thought was cool in 9th grade. They could have taken a more sophisticated approach and really done something great with the MYP and M3P. I would really like to talk to the engineer who thought slapping a heavy wheel was going to help out the performance.

I don't know how many of you have actually looked at the weight but the 21" Uberturbine front wheels weigh 64.8 pounds, and the rear wheels are 68.6 pounds with tires. This is just such a wasted opportunity. This heavy wheel/tire combo just kill the acceleration needlessly. All this unsprung weight impacts other driving dynamics adversely as well. This is committing a cardinal sin when it comes to performance. You don't see Porsche putting heavy ass wheels on their performance cars.

A good reference point is Porsche wheel/tire combos. Typically you are in the 40 pound range for the front, upper 40's/low 50's rear in 20" size. We are looking at 50% more mass for the MYP wheel/tire combo and all that does is hurt performance. I'll take the lighter weight wheels and tires that are out there for the MYP now with the appropriate load capacity that shave a ton of weight off. Tesla should have went in that direction. Acceleration, handling and ride would have been improved.