Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my Model X but having second thoughts??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I few days ago I ordered a 90D Model X so I am still in the 7 day grace period to modify or cancel. After reading consumer reports and joining this forum I am wondering if I am making the right decision. I am most worried about the Quality Issues that seem to be plaguing the Model X, the noise issues, and the windshield ghosting many are discussing. Does anyone regret their purchase because of all these issues. Just trying to make a good decision....

We picked up our Model X 90D on December 24th coming from a Jetta TDI. We love the car its awesome. There was a small issue with the 3rd row seats, seatbelt guide but nothing major from what we can tell. We've driven it up to Vermont and out to Long Island and the trips have been really pleasant much better than and ICE car. The supercharger network is easy to use and with 2 small kids the car is usually ready to go before we are. If we had to do it over again we wouldn't make a different choice.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
By ordering - did you do a good set of visits to a Tesla store and some test drives? Drive two separate units to validate quality levels. Maybe go into two different sales locations as well. Though, you are in NoVA and are there any local locations?

• Helpful
Reactions: MisterT2
Also, ask for an overnight test drive so you can see the windshield ghosting for yourself. After experiencing it first hand I was able to feel confident that I could live with it as I've experienced similar issues at times when I had to compromise on which brand of contacts I chose for comfort (thankfully I've since found a brand that are comfortable and don't cause similar distortions, but I lived with it for 2 years back in the day).

We took delivery of our X on 26th and love the car. I did the overnight test drive and didn't notice any ghosting issue - so I'd suggest doing that so you feel comfortable. We also had cold feet due to reading about quality and ghosting issues online and almost cancelled, but glad we didn't :)

Had mine since September. It hasn't been perfect, but it is the best driving experience I've ever had--by far. I always trust(ed) Consumer Reports, but have watched their butcher job of the X correspond to my time owning the car--and I still wouldn't want to turn it in for a refund. Thinking about another Tesla, actually.

From this thread alone it seems one way Tesla could keep up demand at least for the X before the Model 3 is to fix this ghosting. I wonder how many sales they have lost to cold feet because of ghosting. Yes, I have ghosting. No, I do not regret buying the Model X. Despite waiting over a decade for a car like the X to come out, driving the car exceeds my expectations.

I used to look forward to the weekends so I could drive my wife's Jaguar F-Pace. As awesome as it is, I haven't touched it since I got my X. It's just that much more awesome. I understand where you're coming from though because I also read the crap out of these forums before I got mine and you'd think they were all held together with duct tape and superglue from what you read...

T

I had serious cold feet at your stage. Got mine mid December. I've had twinges of regret but overall love it. It's far more money than I've ever spent on a car, so I'm a little sensitive to things. This forum amplifies all the problems, but so do all car forums. My current regrets: wish I went for leather or white instead of cloth. It catches my pants every time I exit, and is rough. I would save the money on paint and get black; it looks great. Interior is black on black, and I don't have the fancy inside lighting. It is too dark. Needs either light seats or lighting. Wish I knew that up front.
It does have a few quirks. The doors front and side are meh more than amazing, in my opinion. The wipers suck, a huge peeve of mine with salty roads. A few controls are too many clicks away on the dash. Even the tow receiver is overengineered and complicated.
I do love many things about it. My 90 is crazy fast, smooth, quiet. Swallows my whole family and the ski bags.
The autopilot thing is like a bonus, that may or may not come. I personally think not purchasing now, not paying for it with taxes and registration, and maybe adding it later when/if it is amazing and good to go. I would delete that option if doing over.
Oh, and I had my actual car for 5 days, then the back window blew out. Possible defect. It's been in the SC ever since. I'd be furious if I wasn't given a loaner immediately. It's been 3 weeks now, and they keep calling and saying things like sorry, the replacement glass also had a defect, we're sending for another one...

• Helpful
Reactions: MisterT2
+1 on the overnight test drive. That really sealed the deal for us. Tried out supercharging, parked it in our garage to test the FWDs, and drove familiar routes. It was a great way to experience what it would be like living with the car. If there was windshield ghosting on the car we had, it wasn't enough to notice.

We picked up our Model X 90D on December 24th coming from a Jetta TDI. We love the car its awesome. There was a small issue with the 3rd row seats, seatbelt guide but nothing major from what we can tell. We've driven it up to Vermont and out to Long Island and the trips have been really pleasant much better than and ICE car. The supercharger network is easy to use and with 2 small kids the car is usually ready to go before we are. If we had to do it over again we wouldn't make a different choice.
Thanks appreciate the feedback! Glad you are enjoying it.

I had serious cold feet at your stage. Got mine mid December. I've had twinges of regret but overall love it. It's far more money than I've ever spent on a car, so I'm a little sensitive to things. This forum amplifies all the problems, but so do all car forums. My current regrets: wish I went for leather or white instead of cloth. It catches my pants every time I exit, and is rough. I would save the money on paint and get black; it looks great. Interior is black on black, and I don't have the fancy inside lighting. It is too dark. Needs either light seats or lighting. Wish I knew that up front.
It does have a few quirks. The doors front and side are meh more than amazing, in my opinion. The wipers suck, a huge peeve of mine with salty roads. A few controls are too many clicks away on the dash. Even the tow receiver is overengineered and complicated.
I do love many things about it. My 90 is crazy fast, smooth, quiet. Swallows my whole family and the ski bags.
The autopilot thing is like a bonus, that may or may not come. I personally think not purchasing now, not paying for it with taxes and registration, and maybe adding it later when/if it is amazing and good to go. I would delete that option if doing over.
Oh, and I had my actual car for 5 days, then the back window blew out. Possible defect. It's been in the SC ever since. I'd be furious if I wasn't given a loaner immediately. It's been 3 weeks now, and they keep calling and saying things like sorry, the replacement glass also had a defect, we're sending for another one...
Great feedback, thanks!

By ordering - did you do a good set of visits to a Tesla store and some test drives? Drive two separate units to validate quality levels. Maybe go into two different sales locations as well. Though, you are in NoVA and are there any local locations?
I did, drove the S and two different X's one with and one without Ludicrous mode. That's what convinced me to order but then I started doing more research on the internet....

I think you should cancel your order. If you have doubts, don't buy the car. Any car you have doubts about, you will not be happy.
There's plenty of people that are happy with theirs and some that are not. Its that simple. Don't stress out, cancel. We don't want someone owning the car that is not going to be happy with the car.

Like you, I vacillated for a long time, never spent this much on a car, and read TMC way too much. In the end, I am very happy with the car. The pros far outweighs the cons. I'll even add that what some people frequently complain about in articles or in forums might actually be positives. I love the FWD and they work flawlessly. I love self-presenting doors and they work flawlessly. I love the huge windshield and any other car feels claustrophobic in comparison. And the car is quiet on the highway at 65mph, and silent in city driving. Maybe it isn't the most quiet car out there, but it is far quieter than any car I've owned before, and most cars on the road. Fit and finish was near flawless, and the small issues were addressed easily and quickly until a tech backed my car into a wall. So that was human error, not the car.

Even the tow receiver is overengineered and complicated.
How is the two hitch over engineered? I have the towing package and I don't see anything different from a regular hitch.

[QUOTE="

How is the two hitch over engineered? I have the towing package and I don't see anything different from a regular hitch.[/QUOTE]

Plugging the hitch into the car. Took my SC guys about 30 min to figure it out and then show me how to do it at delivery. Had many hitches, none that unlock then unplug at a 90 degree angle underneath. Then you put a cover over it. It's nice, just a bit complicated.