Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my MS Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are definitely not 20 year cars. I'm a huge Tesla, SpaceX and Elon fan, but common sense prevails ... Tesla isn't going to sell you a forever car, why would they?

I don't know. My 2014 model S has 222,000 mi on it, just barely had the original screen replaced, still has the original battery. I did have a lot of suspension work done, spent a couple grand. But, the thing still drives amazingly well. a person driving a normal amount of Miles every year would probably get an easy 20 years out of a new model s.

I don't know. My 2014 model S has 222,000 mi on it, just barely had the original screen replaced, still has the original battery. I did have a lot of suspension work done, spent a couple grand. But, the thing still drives amazingly well. a person driving a normal amount of Miles every year would probably get an easy 20 years out of a new model s.

Awesome! Glad you're getting your money's worth .. how has the interior and paint held up? Post some pics, curious. Would make a nice thread, 220K Tesla and how it has held up, what is doing good, what isn't doing so great, etc.

That's amazing. How has the battery held up? What do you get on a 100% charge?

Awesome! Glad you're getting your money's worth .. how has the interior and paint held up? Post some pics, curious. Would make a nice thread, 220K Tesla and how it has held up, what is doing good, what isn't doing so great, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement. I might just do that. Time to get everything done and all that exclamation point and, well, the outside is a little beat up. But nothing that can't be fixed relatively easily. By the way, the insides okay. Looks are fine. The driver seats starting to feel a little worn though.

That's amazing. How has the battery held up? What do you get on a 100% charge?

If I have the time and let it go to 100%, it still gets about 248. I put it on percentage display lately since it just drives me nuts. the last 5% of the battery charge, by the way, is at least 2 hours. Even on a supercharger. And then of course, there's charge gate. I never get over 70/75 kilowatt charge rate. Doesn't make much difference to me anymore, but might to some.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I don’t trust Tesla won’t overcommit on these new battery packs in both range and performance, only to gimp them hard later.

This gimping of packs should have a name. I propose it be called “85ing”.

Yeah, I'm not exactly jumping up and down to be the beta tester for these revolutionary new batteries with completely different cell structure, chemistry, raw materials, etc etc etc...

AND making the pack part of the vehicle's structure, so what is currently a relatively quick and painless battery swap potentially becomes an order of magnitude more complex and expensive.

I'll wait for rev 2 or 3... ;)

Sure, I reserved one. It’s basically free.

I hope it happens as Elon alluded to, before 2022. I remember getting excited about the roadster years ago and buying into the Plaid as a response to the Taycan in 2019.

Now it’s probably 2022 before i can get one? After all this time, it’s now more than a year out and you don’t have actual information to release or show? there’s no redesign? The Osborne effect isn’t really a concern in what’s already a low production model.

It’s like they just recently decided what the Plaid’s specs would be (September 9th?), and now need to figure out the rest.

Given how long they’ve been working on the Roadster tech, I don’t doubt they can make an EV that can come near those marks in optimal testing (although will void warranty in production cars). Imo it’s not yet actually achievable in a profitable production car, so there’s simply no desire to actually deliver any time soon, and it’s value is marketing.

Hopefully the delay is from waiting to reconfigure production lines to a new design they don’t yet want to show.

I'd like to see chrome delete with black rims. If not, then I'll get the 19's and find some 20 or 21 inch aftermarket.

Chrome delete.... not so much black rims, but close. Still looks HOT!! IMHO ;)
Tesla before_after.jpg

I think lower than 9.8, but their claim of <9 is nuts. In the 9s, sure, but in the 8s? That's ludicrous for a street car. One might even say plaid... I wonder if they really meant less than 9.0 or if it was a marketing flub.

The first problem is tires. It is very hard to break into the 9's on DOT summer tires. You really need drag radials or better even with 4x4. You normally need a 1.4x sixty-foot time.
The second problem is powerband. Tesla's current technology has the cars laying over after the 1/8th. A two-speed can fix this, but I doubt Elon wants to play with a two speed a second time after the Roadster fiasco. However it can be done. The Porsche Taycan two speed is virtually seamless. I had to be told at what speed it triggers at WOT (60'ish).

Reactions: BlindPass
The first problem is tires. It is very hard to break into the 9's on DOT summer tires. You really need drag radials or better even with 4x4. You normally need a 1.4x sixty-foot time.
The second problem is powerband. Tesla's current technology has the cars laying over after the 1/8th. A two-speed can fix this, but I doubt Elon wants to play with a two speed a second time after the Roadster fiasco. However it can be done. The Porsche Taycan two speed is virtually seamless. I had to be told at what speed it triggers at WOT (60'ish).

I think there's opportunity to use different gearing front/rear to mitigate the transmission issue. For example, put the current induction large drive unit from the rear into the front, and gear it for high speed. Make the rears your lower speed motors for the launch. The inverter/battery will likely still be the limiting factor, so you can transition your power over the speed range to whichever motor(s) you want that have the gearing you need at the moment.