Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MY, second thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After years of wanting a Tesla, I finally ordered one. But, I am not excited at all, maybe even a little afraid, and that scares me. Not sure that I can adopt to loss of things like CarPlay, rear cross traffic alert, and 360 view camera for parking in my tight garage (vision in only one eye, no depth perception), no ventilated seats. No blended braking and no regen paddles, only ONE regen setting that I deem to strong for normal use but still not as strong as on some other EV’s. Most disconcerting is the plethora of WhamBam Tesla Cam videos where the car took no action to avoid or even mitigate a simple accident - my main reason for purchasing a Tesla. However, I hear from various sources that Tesla still has the best ADAS, so I proceeded with my order.
Also, I should mention that the closest service center is over an hour away. Uber credits don’t work for me. FWIW, Ford dealer came to my house and got my MachE and left me a nice ICE Mustang when service was required. I am really concerned about Tesla service.
The latest phantom braking fiasco really upsets me. If it is bad enough that owners are filing safety reports with NTSB, I would have expected Tesla to fix this immediately.
I did drive a used 2021 MY at a nearby Chrysler dealer but a 40 minute drive, too much to absorb and not nearly long enough. If anything, I came away unimpressed. However, at age 72, I figure it is now or never, I will either totally love it or totally regret it. However, after years of preaching the pluses of Tesla ownership to family and friends, I would never live down not loving it.
FWIW, ordered it 11/15, quoted 10/22 delivery. Next day, I logged into my account and it said delivery 3/09 - 4/06. But, from others on this forum, this is common and actual delivery is likely to be closer to original estimate.

After years of wanting a Tesla, I finally ordered one. But, I am not excited at all, maybe even a little afraid, and that scares me. Not sure that I can adopt to loss of things like CarPlay, rear cross traffic alert, and 360 view camera for parking in my tight garage (vision in only one eye, no depth perception), no ventilated seats. No blended braking and no regen paddles, only ONE regen setting that I deem to strong for normal use but still not as strong as on some other EV’s. Most disconcerting is the plethora of WhamBam Tesla Cam videos where the car took no action to avoid or even mitigate a simple accident - my main reason for purchasing a Tesla. However, I hear from various sources that Tesla still has the best ADAS, so I proceeded with my order.
Also, I should mention that the closest service center is over an hour away. Uber credits don’t work for me. FWIW, Ford dealer came to my house and got my MachE and left me a nice ICE Mustang when service was required. I am really concerned about Tesla service.
The latest phantom braking fiasco really upsets me. If it is bad enough that owners are filing safety reports with NTSB, I would have expected Tesla to fix this immediately.
I did drive a used 2021 MY at a nearby Chrysler dealer but a 40 minute drive, too much to absorb and not nearly long enough. If anything, I came away unimpressed. However, at age 72, I figure it is now or never, I will either totally love it or totally regret it. However, after years of preaching the pluses of Tesla ownership to family and friends, I would never live down not loving it.
FWIW, ordered it 11/15, quoted 10/22 delivery. Next day, I logged into my account and it said delivery 3/09 - 4/06. But, from others on this forum, this is common and actual delivery is likely to be closer to original estimate.

It sounds like the MY is not the car for you based on what I'm reading here. For what it's worth, my mom is in her 70s and is interested in getting into an EV for her next car (she's driving a Volvo XC60 now). I totally love my MYP but I'm advising her to get an EV that's more like an ICE car (i.e. something besides Tesla) because I don't think she'll get used to the Tesla.

I mean, you shouldn't be buying any car that you're not impressed with during a test drive, especially when you're spending $60k+ on a car.

I'd suggest in the comings months look for another car you would enjoy more than the Y. There is also uncertainty of tax credits, price increases, and final delivery dates. In the months ahead you will know more about those issues than you do today.

If you can't find another vehicle that you prefer over the Y, then go ahead with buying the Y and you will know it was your favorite from a thorough search. If you find a car you prefer over the Y, go buy that. Then either eat the $250 Y order cost or explore if buying and immediately selling the Y with tax rebates and price increases for profit is something you should consider.

I also am in my early 70s and want to 'taste the future' before I am, err....too old. I have test driven the MY, Mach-e and ID4. The MY is clearly the future given the minimalistic interior/controls. It may be a bridge too far for some, but I will say it was a lot of fun to drive. The lack of some luxury options is a trade-off for sure, as well as some of the continuing problems with quality and some functionality. The other two cars make less of a leap IMHO, which will be more comfortable for some.

Saying that, I would venture a guess that all EVs will have some level of issues, like any new car. Basically, it all depends how far in the future one want to step, and how many issues one is willing to deal with.

GL which ever way you go....

I had the same issues you were, coming from luxury suv's the Y sucked. No 360 camera but more importantly a proper blind spot system or cross traffic when backing up. It got so bad that I sold the Y (broke even) and got a luxury SUV which had all those. But after going back to ICE, I sold the car again and am back in another Y. While I miss those luxuries, I don't miss the transmission shifting issues and fluid changes. With that being said, once a more luxury SUV EV comes out that have these features, I would strongly consider jumping ship to another brand. It's only a matter of time, Acura and Lexus are already working on their EV game.

If you have that many reservations and really that is a wall of reservations. I think that's telling you something no?

Reactions: Corndart and 804son
@Cookie71 congrat! You will surely enjoy your MY.

- Sorry you will have to wait for so long, but may be you'll get one
from the new factory in Texas with the 4680 batteries cells.

- There might be also a tax EV discount next year.

- About parking your car in a tight spot, the high definition rear view camera shows very well
the trajectory of the car, so you can localize the path used by the rear wheels when you back up.

- Also the ultra sonic sensors displaying the distance from obstacles are very handy.
I'm sure you will get used to it very fast.

- I have an M3 for three years now and never had to get any service done.
For minors works, Tesla in general sends Mobile Service Technician.

- About the Ford Mach-e, this is certainly a nice car, but after watching the (funny) Sandy Munro videos
about the Mach-e thermal management system with a forest of hoses compared to the
well designed Tesla otovalve, I would certainly wait for the next Mach-e version.

- Well, may be you should keep your reservation until you will receive the final payment order.
By that time there might be some new cars of interest, like the Polestar or Ioniq,
that you could also consider before making your final decision.

- I am still puzzle about getting a MY. This will be more practical than the M3.
But I am waiting for getting some news about the future Tesla compact hatchback.
I would prefer it for city driving and parking, but who know if it will be available in the US.

By the way, would you be able to have a plug to charge your car at night at your home?

I was also concerned about a lot of the “issues” you mention. I now have had my MYLR for just 1.5 weeks, put 1800 miles on it already. Interface is better then Apple CarPlay IMO, the regen 1 pedal is great, Autopilot has been great, tight garage parking and leaving with graphical display plus 3 cameras on at the same time has been great.

I bought the MYLR knowing I could flip it for 10k profit or sell my ICE Hybrid for more then it should be worth. I loved my 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid…it was the best SUV I have ever driven and owned (my wife’s car is a 2020 MDX) UNTIL I got the Tesla. Tesla wins by a lot!

No blended braking and no regen paddles, only ONE regen setting that I deem to strong for normal use but still not as strong as on some other EV’s.

So I own a Mach-E now (former ID.4 and Model Y owner)... um... this comment makes no sense. Before I bought the Mach-E (test drove it for an extended run and then a second test drive before I bought a different config) I knew the acceleration and braking were janky. It's not well blended at all. The Mach-E's regen is kinda crappy and not smooth. The Model Y's regen is much stronger and perfectly linearly and doesn't jar to a stop. It's not a car meant for stop and go traffic. I love the physical controls of the car and wanted a Model 3 with more cargo space (which is exactly what the Mach-E is). I made the trade-off consciously.

I'm not convinced you own a Mach-E or have driven other EVs.