Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MYP and am looking for options of 19" wheels that clear the bigger brakes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any 19” offering from TSportline will clear the brakes on a Performance MY

I noticed in that inclusions pic in post #46 above that rear door laminated glass is an update. Recent cars sourced from Freemont still don't have that. Anyone know when we'll see that in the U.S.?
TSportLine now offers a proper 18" tire/wheel option. They will be posting a YouTube video soon, but from what I've seen I'm leaning towards their 18" package and given they have a Memorial Day 10% off and FREE shipping sale going they come to about $2600.

TSportLine now offers a proper 18" tire/wheel option. They will be posting a YouTube video soon, but from what I've seen I'm leaning towards their 18" package and given they have a Memorial Day 10% off and FREE shipping sale going they come to about $2600.

Apologies in advance if some posts have previously covered this question.

I'm expecting my MYP in a few weeks and may not keep the 21" wheels. I've visited web site of Martian Wheels and spoken with a rep there some months back about their forged alloy wheels for MY and other Tesla models.
Has anyone switched to their alloy wheels and have thoughts to share on how they look and perform? They claim that the weight savings compared to stock wheels provides some performance and perhaps range improvement. Many thanks.

Premium parts and accessories for Tesla vehicles – Martian Wheels

I'm expecting my MYP in a few weeks and may not keep the 21" wheels. I've visited web site of Martian Wheels and spoken with a rep there some months back about their forged alloy wheels for MY and other Tesla models.
Has anyone switched to their alloy wheels and have thoughts to share on how they look and perform? They claim that the weight savings compared to stock wheels provides some performance and perhaps range improvement. Many thanks.

Smaller wheels = ride comfort

Lighter wheels = faster acceleration

Thinner wheels = more range, less stopping power

Aerodynamic wheels = more range

There is a measurable loss of efficiency and range with the larger, heavier 21" wheels. The benefits of the 21" wheels include improved stability and handling at higher speeds and improved rear wheel traction with the 275 width rear tires.

Tesla Model Y range with 19", 20" and 21" wheels

Last edited:
There is a measurable loss of efficiency and range with the larger, heavier 21" wheels. The benefits of the 21" wheels include improved stability and handling at higher speeds and improved rear wheel traction with the 275 width rear tires.

Tesla Model Y range with 19", 20" and 21" wheels
I'm not sure if it affects range all that much. Maybe in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, but once the wheel gets moving its weight is negligible. It's more about aerodynamics at that point.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I'm not sure if it affects range all that much. Maybe in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, but once the wheel gets moving its weight is negligible. It's more about aerodynamics at that point.
Source? Engineers have analyzed the impact of different size, weight wheels and the conclusion is that smaller lighter wheels yield significantly improved efficiency (8 to 15% improvement.) Owners of Performance Model Y vehicles who have switched from the OE 21" wheels to 19" wheels report about a 10% increase efficiency and range.

Youtube: Why big wheels are a bad idea on electric vehicles - range loss.

(Impact of larger wheel diameter on range explanation begins at 6:20.)

Last edited:
Source? Engineers have analyzed the impact of different size, weight wheels and the conclusion is that smaller lighter wheels yield significantly improved efficiency (8 to 15% improvement.) Owners of Performance Model Y vehicles who have switched from the OE 21" wheels to 19" wheels report about a 10% increase efficiency and range.

Youtube: Why big wheels are a bad idea on electric vehicles - range loss.

(Impact of larger wheel diameter on range explanation begins at 6:20.)
The challenge with the video is that it's using Tesla's numbers, which are for completely different wheels at each size.

Larger non-aero wheels will cause more turbulence than a smaller version of the same exact wheel. But if you get a large aerodynamic wheel versus a smaller non-aerodynamic wheel, you'll likely get better efficiency from the larger wheel, even if it's heavier.

It's like pulling a trailer. A lighter, square shaped trailer will be less efficient than a slightly bigger and heavier, but aerodynamic trailer.

I'd guess that the 19" version of the EV01 is more efficient than 18" Mars.

The challenge with the video is that it's using Tesla's numbers, which are for completely different wheels at each size.

Larger non-aero wheels will cause more turbulence than a smaller version of the same exact wheel. But if you get a large aerodynamic wheel versus a smaller non-aerodynamic wheel, you'll likely get better efficiency from the larger wheel, even if it's heavier.

It's like pulling a trailer. A lighter, square shaped trailer will be less efficient than a slightly bigger and heavier, but aerodynamic trailer.

I'd guess that the 19" version of the EV01 is more efficient than 18" Mars.
I recall reading Tesla's explanation of how the Tesla Aerocovers on the 18" wheels on the Model 3 and the Gemini wheel covers on the Model Y with 19" wheels improve efficiency by reducing air turbulence around the wheel. Remove the Gemini covers and you increase air turbulence for the Gemini wheels, lowering efficiency at highway speeds.

The weight difference between the 19" Gemini wheel and tire combination and the 20" Induction wheel and tire combination is only ~1.5 lbs. The 19" Gemini wheel has better efficiency than the 20" wheel, at least on paper, but in real world driving the range of the Long Range Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels and the 19" Gemini wheels are pretty close.

When you compare the range and efficiency of the 21" Uberturbine wheels to the 19" and 20" wheels the 21" wheel is demonstrably lower. Some of this can be due to air turbulence at the wheel but most of the difference is due to additional energy required with the heavier wheels. (This is a dynamic system where road imperfections and the un-sprung weight of the vehicle factor into how much energy is required to maintain forward momentum and wheel speed.) As the video explains, the cross sectional area of the tires have a relatively small impact on EV efficiency. The rolling resistance of the tires have a greater impact than the cross section but less than the weight of the wheel and tire combination.

I recall reading Tesla's explanation of how the Tesla Aerocovers on the 18" wheels on the Model 3 and the Gemini wheel covers on the Model Y with 19" wheels improve efficiency by reducing air turbulence around the wheel. Remove the Gemini covers and you increase air turbulence for the Gemini wheels, lowering efficiency at highway speeds.

The weight difference between the 19" Gemini wheel and tire combination and the 20" Induction wheel and tire combination is only ~1.5 lbs. The 19" Gemini wheel has better efficiency than the 20" wheel, at least on paper, but in real world driving the range of the Long Range Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels and the 19" Gemini wheels are pretty close.

When you compare the range and efficiency of the 21" Uberturbine wheels to the 19" and 20" wheels the 21" wheel is demonstrably lower. Some of this can be due to air turbulence at the wheel but most of the difference is due to additional energy required with the heavier wheels. (This is a dynamic system where road imperfections and the un-sprung weight of the vehicle factor into how much energy is required to maintain forward momentum and wheel speed.) As the video explains, the cross sectional area of the tires have a relatively small impact on EV efficiency. The rolling resistance of the tires have a greater impact than the cross section but less than the weight of the wheel and tire combination.
Those Ubuerturbine wheels are pretty heavy. I suspect that to make a bigger difference in city driving than highway. Once those big heavy wheels get moving, the weight difference isn't as significant. But if you're stopping frequently, you have to overcome rotational inertia more often, which is where the biggest differences regarding weight will be seen.

I'd like to see what a lightweight 21" would compare, but I imagine that there really isn't much of a market for a product like that. Most people replacing their Uburturbines are getting smaller wheels even if the efficiency was exactly the same because the reason tends to be about ride comfort and concerns about wheel damage from such a small sidewall.

063129AD-2139-44CD-A5C9-E3E44820DACE.jpeg
I love myNEUSPEED RSf72 19”x 9.5
21.5lbs. Ride is significantly better. Definitely feels like faster acceleration but have not tested. Slower speeds efficiently is better. No real change in highway efficiency. I also think they look WAY better than the Uberturbines. Also 9 of 10 Uberturbines I see out there have curb rash! All of this information is my OPINION and not based on truly tested data.

Attachments

• ED544C7E-1A92-422A-846A-865CA0D9EE2D.jpeg
    ED544C7E-1A92-422A-846A-865CA0D9EE2D.jpeg
    736.6 KB · Views: 106
Hi Tesla Motors Club,

Ordered MYP and am looking at 19" wheels that clear the bigger brakes.

PacificPower mentioned T Sportline ones do.

19" Gemini's on a MYP mentions the Gemini wheels fit.
But looking for weight reduction if possible without compromise on strength to hold a rather heavy car.

Anyone running other options without issues?
A lot of companies are not showing offsets and if they match stock.
Also what tires are you running so I can compare?
I have been a Continental SportContact fan with my Subaru Sti but open to suggestions. Tire rack says 255/45R19 fit on MYLR with 19".

I would like to swap when I take delivery so I can sell the 21" with tires as new.

For reference: Gemini I think are
MaterialAluminum
Size19" x 9.5"
Diameter19"
Width9.5"
Lugs5
Bolt Pattern114.3mm
Offset45mm
T sportline has 19” and 18” which work fine on model y performance. Search YouTube for their videos or visit their www page.

Hi Tesla Motors Club,

Ordered MYP and am looking at 19" wheels that clear the bigger brakes.

PacificPower mentioned T Sportline ones do.

19" Gemini's on a MYP mentions the Gemini wheels fit.
But looking for weight reduction if possible without compromise on strength to hold a rather heavy car.

Anyone running other options without issues?
A lot of companies are not showing offsets and if they match stock.
Also what tires are you running so I can compare?
I have been a Continental SportContact fan with my Subaru Sti but open to suggestions. Tire rack says 255/45R19 fit on MYLR with 19".

I would like to swap when I take delivery so I can sell the 21" with tires as new.

For reference: Gemini I think are
MaterialAluminum
Size19" x 9.5"
Diameter19"
Width9.5"
Lugs5
Bolt Pattern114.3mm
Offset45mm

I was thinking the same as you and ordered 19" (tSportline) wheels and tires. At delivery, I found the stock turbines don't ride that bad (and better than my '18 M3), besides, it can be tough to sell your wheels and tires for what they're worth.

My wheels are still in the boxes and I'm 900 miles into my stock wheels and tires and love the look.

My canadawheels order arrived in less than a week!
I got this 19” set for only $1137CAD ($888USD) after taxes and using the 10% site-wide coupon code.
Load rating is 815 Kg (1797 lbs) per wheel so more than enough for the hefty Model Y Performace axle weight.
So excited but won’t be using this till winter.
0E58934D-09ED-42DD-BC4C-614C4C207607.jpeg

A4DB8135-F297-4EE1-A13C-F728A912FC2E.jpeg

51A260DC-A8FD-48F7-A3A9-7D7A745B9D96.jpeg