Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered! MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does everyone here understand that the $2.5K is just for the privilege of ordering the car. It is NOT counted towards the price of the car, which you would have to pay in full up on delivery.

This is what the fine print says: "Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle." (bold mine).

There is no way the “deposit” won’t be included as part of the payment. If the language suggests otherwise it’s a mistake.

Does everyone here understand that the $2.5K is just for the privilege of ordering the car. It is NOT counted towards the price of the car, which you would have to pay in full up on delivery.

This is what the fine print says: "Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle." (bold mine).

Keep reading. You started that paragraph, go to the last two sentences and see what is says:

"When you take delivery of the Vehicle, we will provide a credit to the final pre-order price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Pre-Order Payment you paid. This Pre-Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract."

Keep reading. You started that paragraph, go to the last two sentences and see what is says:

"When you take delivery of the Vehicle, we will provide a credit to the final pre-order price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Pre-Order Payment you paid. This Pre-Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract."

Very important distinction. If Tesla would classify this as a deposit, then they cannot recognize it as revenue in 2019, but only when the car is delivered in 2020. By saying this is a pre-order payment for other "activities and cost" then they can recognize the $2500 revenue now.

• Informative
Reactions: Neil2526 and vickh
The way I see it, I locked in whatever price increases we’ll see later, plus the way I configured the PYD, a P3D was only 2 grand less in today’s pricing with all options. The P3D price will change Monday and I’m not ready to give up my S just yet.

They can't call it a deposit because then they can't record the money as income. When you buy the car fo real the 2500 is assigned the sale.

• Informative
Reactions: MrMannnilow