Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered new, fulfilled with inventory car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I ordered a new Model S Performance10/23. Got text today saying ready for delivery.

My excitement has faded fast. They want to take inventory car. From VIN assigned it was built in July. VIN is 5YJSA1E47KF3345XX. I’m asking for new car from factory and they are telling me there’s no way they can guarantee that.

For now they are going to unmatch me from the car but it resets the clock on my order.

Am I being unreasonable here? I don’t want a car that’s been sitting around for 4 months when paying full price. I wish there was a way to force a factory order. I thought that’s what buying new meant.

Hi. I ordered a new Model S Performance10/23. Got text today saying ready for delivery.

My excitement has faded fast. They want to take inventory car. From VIN assigned it was built in July. VIN is 5YJSA1E47KF3345XX. I’m asking for new car from factory and they are telling me there’s no way they can guarantee that.

For now they are going to unmatch me from the car but it resets the clock on my order.

Am I being unreasonable here? I don’t want a car that’s been sitting around for 4 months when paying full price. I wish there was a way to force a factory order. I thought that’s what buying new meant.

New means no one else has owned it before. Why do you care if it was manufactured 4 months ago? If you go buy a new Ford off the dealer lot, it was manufactured 4 months ago too. Is there some specific new feature on cars manufactured today that the inventory car doesn't have?

Reactions: Sherlo
I would consider accepting it. I would inspect it and hold it to the same standards as one straight off the factory floor. I would also not accept it as new/full price if it had more than 50 or 75 miles on it. Remember you can return it for full refund in the first few days if you're not happy.

Just me...

Mike

New means no one else has owned it before. Why do you care if it was manufactured 4 months ago? If you go buy a new Ford off the dealer lot, it was manufactured 4 months ago too. Is there some specific new feature on cars manufactured today that the inventory car doesn't have?
Well newest VINs are listed as 2020 model.

If I custom order a Ford it comes from the factory.

I see your point but also from Telsa's prospective 90% of customers would be happy to be getting the car early.

If you wait you still are likely to get it before end of Q4. December delivery of a new car is likely to be a 2020 model which is better for resale than a 2019 I would imagine.

I don't blame you. The 2020 designation would help with resale later on. I bought my car in 2016 and they delivered it on New Years Eve and it was a 2016 model. Reselling it as a 2017 offers more value so I would wait it out until you get a 2020.

My Tesla was built and delivered to me in December 2016. It is titled as a 2016.

Has Tesla has decided to follow the other auto manufacturers? I would be surprised.

Was surprised as well but appears to be a switch by them this Quarter.
Have seen multiple reports of new buyers getting a VIN and a 2019 delivery date for a 2020 car.
Don't know if any of those deliveries have happened yet but sounds like they will be soon.

We will know for certain shortly but right now appears a shift in the way they treat the model years.

My Tesla was built and delivered to me in December 2016. It is titled as a 2016.

Has Tesla has decided to follow the other auto manufacturers? I would be surprised.

Yes, they are starting to slowly embrace the issue of people waiting for the next model year. While they still make random changes when they feel like, at least buyers will get a 2020 model and the tail end of the tax credit... More important is still that you get latest hardware versions AP 3.0 and MCU 2. Your initial 4 mth inventory car may have still been AP 2.5. I am glad you waited!!:)

OP, this happened to me too but I was happy about it. Ordered a new MSLR mid-Aug with a 6 week delivery estimate. Turns out there was one just like I wanted a hundred miles away so they trucked it to my SC for delivery. Picked it up 9/3. There is a difference however, my car was an Aug build so the other SC had just received it. So as long as the only changes between the July car are sw, I’d be happy I got a car a lot quick. Plus now you get the tax credit, a new order likely would not.

Consider it from a generic perspective. Other auto makers have a lot of new cars sitting on their lots. People buy them all the time and consider them new. If they didn't, all new car dealers would be considered to have lots full of only non-new cars, which obviously isn't the case.