Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered on Friday, car ready to be picked up on Monday (NYC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I put my $1K deposit back in April 2016, and got an email to configure in July. I've been lurking on TMC forums for the past month, getting a lot of useful info from others' experience with ordering and enjoying their M3 – thank you!

I finally pushed the button on Friday 8/3 (LR, RWD, standard black), and to my surprise got an email from my ISA that my car was ready on Sunday. I did NOT get a VIN in her email, or on my Tesla page, but had to send some info back: my current car’s title if I was doing a trade-in, confirm pick-up location, etc.

I responded earlier today (Monday 8/6) and a couple of hours later got a call from the ISA that I could pick-up the car anytime this week. The ISA said she could only give me the VIN if I “accept possession” of the car. She couldn’t give me any other details about the car, such as build date, or the reason for the car being ready for me so soon after I had placed the order. After she discussed with a supervisor, she told me that most popular cars are shipped in advance to various delivery centers and matched with buyers.

In short, as excited as I am about being able to take delivery so quickly, I am concerned that this might be a “reject”. Plus, the whole process seems to be different than for others, such as not being able to see the VIN unless I “accept” the car. The ISA told me that she could “unmatch” me from this car, but she couldn’t tell me when a new VIN would be assigned. At this stage I asked her to have a supervisor call me so I can hopefully get more info before I make a decision.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else, and what would you suggest I do?
Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I put my $1K deposit back in April 2016, and got an email to configure in July. I've been lurking on TMC forums for the past month, getting a lot of useful info from others' experience with ordering and enjoying their M3 – thank you!

I finally pushed the button on Friday 8/3 (LR, RWD, standard black), and to my surprise got an email from my ISA that my car was ready on Sunday. I did NOT get a VIN in her email, or on my Tesla page, but had to send some info back: my current car’s title if I was doing a trade-in, confirm pick-up location, etc.

I responded earlier today (Monday 8/6) and a couple of hours later got a call from the ISA that I could pick-up the car anytime this week. The ISA said she could only give me the VIN if I “accept possession” of the car. She couldn’t give me any other details about the car, such as build date, or the reason for the car being ready for me so soon after I had placed the order. After she discussed with a supervisor, she told me that most popular cars are shipped in advance to various delivery centers and matched with buyers.

In short, as excited as I am about being able to take delivery so quickly, I am concerned that this might be a “reject”. Plus, the whole process seems to be different than for others, such as not being able to see the VIN unless I “accept” the car. The ISA told me that she could “unmatch” me from this car, but she couldn’t tell me when a new VIN would be assigned. At this stage I asked her to have a supervisor call me so I can hopefully get more info before I make a decision.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else, and what would you suggest I do?
Thanks in advance.
This has been happening quite a bit. I believe it's mostly from inventory that was made and not shipped before the 200k unit mark. A bunch of cars were held back to start shipping in July and beyond, so if you configured something that they had already made it's just assigned for you to pick up. Not much different than purchasing a car off a car lot at a normal dealership.