Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Performance MY, SA matched me to a non-PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just over 3 weeks ago, I ordered a MY Performance. I was pretty excited when the SA said he could match me to a vehicle with just under 1500mi with an $1800 discount. I took delivery on that vehicle, only to get home and realize the wheels were the 19" Gemini, and I had none of the other PUP features. (This was before I knew what PUP was).

I lodged several questions with Tesla, basically run in circles, it wasn't until 4 days later that the service tech I was set up with informed me that I had a 'stealth mode' MY, and let me know that there used to be a separate PUP option.

I would have returned the vehicle, but they would not take it back as it had over 1000mi on it. Apparently the 1000mi return policy applies to the mileage on the vehicle, not me putting 1000mi on the vehicle. I was sold a vehicle that never had the return policy apply to it.

I'm at a loss here, I would have never purchased the vehicle without the advertised performance features, could not return it, and 3 weeks later Tesla offered me a $100 discount code to use in their store. They back themselves up saying that there wasn't anything not disclosed on the sales order. The thing is, as far as I can tell, the sales order is missing "PUP Upgrade" from a line item, that I could never know existed without researching for it.

Any ideas?

Well, many PUP owners would probably trade with you. The PUP has the 21” staggered wheels, lowered suspension, and performance brakes (red calipers).

If I were you, I would just trade the 19” Gemini’s for the 20” Inductions or 21” Uberturbines and be very happy. You still have the performance of a PUP.

I'm curious how you took delivery and did not notice the wrong wheels and did not know what you were buying with PUP missing? That said, was the car sold to you as new or used? Did they explain the return policy or did you sign acknowledging and not read? I understand the excitement of buying a Tesla and the fog that comes with it but buyer beware. You may have a unicorn on your hands with a MYP- that could be valuable, longer range and a better ride quality than the larger wheels with tires that wear quickly and are expensive to replace. Maybe it's the best mistake you could have made. Best you can do is request supervisor after supervisor at national if running out of options at your local SC.

Reactions: sightman
The wheels were the first thing I noticed when I got home. I took delivery in the evening as it was already getting dark. Everything was kind of rushed at the dealer, they just kind of set the paperwork with me, didn't go over anything at all. I don't think the return policy was even in the papers I signed. Just the order sheet and standard state sales paperwork.

If you check out the Tesla website now and go to the MY order page, PUP isn't an option. It simply is advertised as THE features the performance model includes aside from the 0-60 and range. I'm new to checking out the Tesla website, I had no idea PUP was a thing until after the fact. I'm curious what the purchase sheet and the Monroney sticker show in the Performance model now, if it simply says "Performance Upgrade" as a line item.

Really the biggest things that bother me are the brakes and the suspension. I already have aftermarket wheels and tires ordered for winter, and was planning on doing the same for summer set. From what I can tell, Gemini wheel set is worth as much as the Uberturbine selling them. I love the car otherwise.

You got the golden vehicle that I wish they still made, and you got it for $1,800 discount.

If you want, you can probably spend that $1,800 and get better brakes than the Performance ones that Tesla ships, and I don’t honestly know if the suspension change really is that much between the two versions.

Reactions: FFR6288
Just over 3 weeks ago, I ordered a MY Performance. I was pretty excited when the SA said he could match me to a vehicle with just under 1500mi with an $1800 discount. I took delivery on that vehicle, only to get home and realize the wheels were the 19" Gemini, and I had none of the other PUP features. (This was before I knew what PUP was).

I lodged several questions with Tesla, basically run in circles, it wasn't until 4 days later that the service tech I was set up with informed me that I had a 'stealth mode' MY, and let me know that there used to be a separate PUP option.

I would have returned the vehicle, but they would not take it back as it had over 1000mi on it. Apparently the 1000mi return policy applies to the mileage on the vehicle, not me putting 1000mi on the vehicle. I was sold a vehicle that never had the return policy apply to it.

I'm at a loss here, I would have never purchased the vehicle without the advertised performance features, could not return it, and 3 weeks later Tesla offered me a $100 discount code to use in their store. They back themselves up saying that there wasn't anything not disclosed on the sales order. The thing is, as far as I can tell, the sales order is missing "PUP Upgrade" from a line item, that I could never know existed without researching for it.

Any ideas?
Immediately. And I mean immediately, opt out of the arbitration clause in your P&S agreement.

Then hire a lawyer.