Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered S85 3/13/15 - Let's track this thing out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never asked why the car was delayed in production. I'll probably never know. Odds are something failed in inspection so it had to go back through the production line. But yeah, now it waits for the train. There is a major automotive switching yard just outside of Cleveland (thanks to Ford's cargo van plant there) so I suspect it will end up there, then trucked over to the store.

Argh, I hate having to be patient. I suck at patience. I totally would've done what you did, Cyclone, had it been an option.

Hey THX1139, you should be happy to know that our train has reached the BNSF Logistics auto unload center in suburban Chicago. I suspect your car is being unloaded (or has been already) and will be trucked up to your store today or tomorrow. Mine has another day on the train and will probably be unloaded for me in Cleveland this weekend. Getting closer!

Hey THX1139, you should be happy to know that our train has reached the BNSF Logistics auto unload center in suburban Chicago. I suspect your car is being unloaded (or has been already) and will be trucked up to your store today or tomorrow. Mine has another day on the train and will probably be unloaded for me in Cleveland this weekend. Getting closer!
As of 5:30PM yesterday ours was still at the BNSF logistics center. DS said could show up at service center later on yesterday or this morning. Spend 2 days waiting at the logistics center. Since the service center is open on weekends we will be taking delivery next week Monday or Tuesday.

Kinda bummed about it especially after my 17 year old basically totaled our trade in Wednesday evening ( a couple blocks from home ). I had just received the confirmation on the trade in value an hour before. Not a bad accident just a fender bender basically, but body damage on a Mercedes is so damn expensive. $8200 in damage when trade in value was $7000. We are caught in a conundrum. Do we claim the insurance (sons 2nd accident in a year) or eat it. We have been with State Farm since I was a kid. No claims ever until this son totaled 2 cars. A 2007 Camry and now a 2007 Mercedes.

Last edited:
My DS just told me that he's pretty sure that Cleveland cars are unloaded in Chicago too, and trucked from there. So it looks like my trucked car and your trucked car are leaving the facility at roughly the same time. It's just that mine has a 5 hour longer drive to get to me.

Bummer on the accident. That's one of my big fears, that my current car gets wrecked before I sell it.

Still at the logistics center as of about 7PM last night. Now the earliest delivery is Tuesday. Grr. Why would they want it to stay at a train yard for 3+ days?

Want might be a bit of a stretch. From stories I've heard in general about train shipments, it very well could be sitting for the right person to take an interest in moving that box car along. I would imagine Tesla would like for it to move as fast as possible too.

As of 5:30PM yesterday ours was still at the BNSF logistics center. DS said could show up at service center later on yesterday or this morning. Spend 2 days waiting at the logistics center. Since the service center is open on weekends we will be taking delivery next week Monday or Tuesday.

Kinda bummed about it especially after my 17 year old basically totaled our trade in Wednesday evening ( a couple blocks from home ). I had just received the confirmation on the trade in value an hour before. Not a bad accident just a fender bender basically, but body damage on a Mercedes is so damn expensive. $8200 in damage when trade in value was $7000. We are caught in a conundrum. Do we claim the insurance (sons 2nd accident in a year) or eat it. We have been with State Farm since I was a kid. No claims ever until this son totaled 2 cars. A 2007 Camry and now a 2007 Mercedes.

Don't claim it and make him work to pay back a substantial portion. You will get killed on insurance rates if you claim it. Either that or take him off insurance and say "you're on your own". My own son got broad-sided in my car back a couple years ago. Insurance didn't go up but does have a pretty heavy price for me to keep four people and four cars covered. May start to remove collision off the older cars to try to self insure a bit more. In my case, the car looked repairable but insurance totaled it and then my $1000 deductible got paid by the errant party's insurance. Not bad but still, that was a nice car at the time.

Don't claim it and make him work to pay back a substantial portion. You will get killed on insurance rates if you claim it. Either that or take him off insurance and say "you're on your own". My own son got broad-sided in my car back a couple years ago. Insurance didn't go up but does have a pretty heavy price for me to keep four people and four cars covered. May start to remove collision off the older cars to try to self insure a bit more. In my case, the car looked repairable but insurance totaled it and then my $1000 deductible got paid by the errant party's insurance. Not bad but still, that was a nice car at the time.

We ended up claiming it. The cash out for our car and the other car would have been about $10000. Yes the insurance rates will go up, but it will take a long time to make up that $10,000 (not to mention the opportunity costs). He is paying up and then some. We do keep the deductibles high. Our oldest car now is a 2012 Volt so still value to keep the collision on it.

Just an interesting note: I took my 85 to the service center this morning for some minor tweaks that were noticed on delivery. The loaner is a P85. I thought it would be just an incremental increase in power - WRONG!!

Holy detached retinas! This car is a crazy increase in power from the 85. And I haven't even BEEN in a P85D. All I can say is WOW. I'm loving where this car company is going. And I was positive I'd already drunk that Kool-Aid. Apparently there was some more in the glass because now I'm excited all over again at the range of Tesla cars from which we'll have a choice in the next few years. I am one HAPPY CAMPER.

As for my 85, I'm still deeply in love with it and am excited to take my first Supercharger trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff this weekend.

Just an interesting note: I took my 85 to the service center this morning for some minor tweaks that were noticed on delivery. The loaner is a P85. I thought it would be just an incremental increase in power - WRONG!!

Holy detached retinas! This car is a crazy increase in power from the 85. And I haven't even BEEN in a P85D. All I can say is WOW. I'm loving where this car company is going. And I was positive I'd already drunk that Kool-Aid. Apparently there was some more in the glass because now I'm excited all over again at the range of Tesla cars from which we'll have a choice in the next few years. I am one HAPPY CAMPER.

As for my 85, I'm still deeply in love with it and am excited to take my first Supercharger trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff this weekend.

Thanks for this. I took a drive in an 85D last week and it was pretty awesome - awesome enough in fact that almost regretted ordering my P85D (which I might get this coming weekend). Happy to hear that an 85 driver feels the difference that is costing me an extra $20k :smile:. Also very happy to hear that you love your car - my wait is almost over.

Last edited:
Yeah I still LOVE my car. And I'm surprised how many of my friends are in disbelief when I show them the power it has. The P85 is amazing, and I can't imagine what the P85D would be like. Super car performance for sure. Funny how now I'm thinking 3 years down the road at what I'll get when this lease is up. Haha.

You're going to have a bigger permagrin than I do when you drive yours. So stoked for you.

Makes me wonder just how busy the store your delivery was going to is. That's the only thing I can think of as to why it's sat for so long - they don't have room at the store for it due to other deliveries ahead of you?
I think another DS answered it for me. They dont want to take cars car by car. They wait until they have a full car carrier before they take the cars to the service center.

But enough about ours. Did you take delivery today? Any nice swag?