TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ordered the outdoor Tesla S cover today

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Sep 14, 2012.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The outdoor Model S car cover has gone on sale, so I bought one today. I don't have a garage so this will be an essential accessory. I've had an outdoor cover for my Honda S2000. The S2000 is ten years old but the finish looks brand new.

As I'm 8,871 in the reservation line, I likely won't see my car until the spring at best. So this is the closest I'll get -- bought in total anticipation. It has to be one of the coolest car covers I've seen, as it signals that the vehicle it protects must be something special.

Based on the description, the Tesla cover seems to be state of the art, with ventilation in the front wheels and grille for battery charging and a velcro attached flap for the charging port. Once it's delivered I'll follow up with a post on may evaluation of its quality.

4_large.jpg
    5_grande.jpg
    1_grande.jpg
    2_grande.jpg
    6_grande.jpg
    3_grande.jpg

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

So, color me ignorant: why the ventilated openings for the front wheels?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Presumably for air flow from the heat exchangers. That is the air comes in through the front and goes out by the wheels.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

There was a CAD illustration (animation?) of that long long ago.

5. Jkam

Jkam Member

When will they come up with a plastic cargo liner for the back trunk...and I suppose the frunk too? I'd definitely want those in my car.

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I second this. Have one in my Merc. Absolutely essential I'd say.

7. strider

strider Active Member

WeatherTech will make something if someone lets them take measurements from their car. I believe they're based in the Chicago burbs.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm not keen on having the Tesla branding on the cover. I'd rather have one with no markings.

9. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Agree, I want one too. I'd also want a LARGE one for fitting also over the rear seats when folded down please :) (for transporting my bike etc.)

But rubber please, not hard plastic.

10. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Bonnie pointed these out to me in another thread. I didn't actually get one :)redface: sorry Bonnie, sorry doggies) but they look REALLY nice. And they do custom so a Model S one shouldn't be hard. I'll most likely be getting one.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

You can have one made to deal with folding seats. It's in two sections, so when I put the seats up, the section up against the front seats just slides over the back section, and then rests against the second row when flipped up. Simple and effective. Best liner I've had.

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Really nice, we transport a lot of horse stuff including dirty boots etc. Maybe there's a group buy somewhere in the near future?

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm sure if someone called them with the Model S measurements, they'd be glad to offer it. I'm pretty sure it's a small business, making most to known measurements as they receive the order.

14. onlinespending

+1. Would almost it rather say Pinto

15. austinm3

austinm3 Member

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

There are at least three of us, then!

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

You gotta to what you gotta do.

I haven't had a garage for at least 15 years and I don't miss one bit the junk pile that goes with it. My last one was a two car affair with barely enough room amidst the junk for one car.

As I noted in original post, the finish on my 11-year old Honda S2000, which has been under a Weathershield cover when not being driven since day one, looks better than any garage queen I've ever seen. In fact it looks like it just came off the boat from Japan.

18. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I didn't have a garage for my Roadster for the first year I owned it. That includes leaving it out in the New England snowstorms.

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Outdoor cover arrived today -- it's super high quality

The Model S outdoor cover arrived today. It comes packed in a nice zippered black nylon carrying bag with two handles.

The quality of the cover itself is outstanding. I've had 3 or 4 outdoor covers over the last decade for other cars and this one is clearly superior: thicker, a tighter weave, and a soft white inner liner. The Tesla logo on the front and the Tesla Model S on the back are high quality black appliqués that should hold up very well.

Now all I need is the Model S to put it on. The wait will be hard to bear.

20. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Probably more than three. My Model S is scheduled for a November delivery and will be sitting in the driveway at least 2 years before we move to a house with a garage. Definitely getting the cover. For those who are interested here is the link.