Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered this morning, delivery for Wednesday. How late would you accept a 2018 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New "future" Model 3 owner here. I'm based in the Boston area and ordered the AWD Long-range Model 3 around lunch time today. I just received a text with an appointment setup 'tentatively' for Wednesday which is super exciting, but I'll be on vacation so it'll have to wait a few days.

I received the text and I checked the VIN, it says the year is 2018.

I'll inquire when exactly in 2018 as I've read I'll probably get a call, but would you accept a 2018 car? I'm thinking if late-2018, it's probably fine.

So far, I can't seem to find a difference aside from resale that would cause me to decline such a car. My current car is from 2010, long payed-off and I've always treated cars like they're worthless once I'm done with them. I wouldn't want to miss out on any upgrades though that were improved through 2018, from seats to other improvements.

Lastly, if you were to accept a 2018 model, would you be inclined to ask for some discount? I'm assuming this car has been sitting in a lot idle. Perhaps asking to drop the paint charge if it's pre Oct-2018 or wheel upgrade may work (FSD is probably too far fetched, but one can dream :) ).

Thanks for any input. Super excited to join the club!

Reactions: adys123
New "future" Model 3 owner here. I'm based in the Boston area and ordered the AWD Long-range Model 3 around lunch time today. I just received a text with an appointment setup 'tentatively' for Wednesday which is super exciting, but I'll be on vacation so it'll have to wait a few days.

I received the text and I checked the VIN, it says the year is 2018.

I'll inquire when exactly in 2018 as I've read I'll probably get a call, but would you accept a 2018 car? I'm thinking if late-2018, it's probably fine.

So far, I can't seem to find a difference aside from resale that would cause me to decline such a car. My current car is from 2010, long payed-off and I've always treated cars like they're worthless once I'm done with them. I wouldn't want to miss out on any upgrades though that were improved through 2018, from seats to other improvements.

Lastly, if you were to accept a 2018 model, would you be inclined to ask for some discount? I'm assuming this car has been sitting in a lot idle. Perhaps asking to drop the paint charge if it's pre Oct-2018 or wheel upgrade may work (FSD is probably too far fetched, but one can dream :) ).

Thanks for any input. Super excited to join the club!

Hey! Welcome!

I would definitely ask for a discount, you may be pleasantly surprised. If you don't ask, you won't get it.

Hi! I am in the same situation, I am from Mexico they finally opened the configurator after 3 years of waiting! And they just called me to tell me that they could deliver my tesla (AWD) in 2 weeks but its going to be a 2018 model, and if I want a 2019 its 8 to 10 more weeks of waiting! Any sugesttions?
I dont think there is going to be a noticiable difference between 2018 - 2019 and the AWD its for sure a late 2018 so I am about to say its ok!

Reactions: IdaX
Not a chance I'd accept a 2018 model without a significant discount. Come a couple years from now it's already a year older than a 2019 and worth less.

Just for comparison I have a 2013 Ferrari 458. The 2014 is the exact same car but worth at least 10k more and not a chance I'd convince a buyer otherwise.

Hi! I am in the same situation, I am from Mexico they finally opened the configurator after 3 years of waiting! And they just called me to tell me that they could deliver my tesla (AWD) in 2 weeks but its going to be a 2018 model, and if I want a 2019 its 8 to 10 more weeks of waiting! Any sugesttions?
I dont think there is going to be a noticiable difference between 2018 - 2019 and the AWD its for sure a late 2018 so I am about to say its ok!
Do you have any tax incentives or big discounts? Otherwise I would get a 2019 model because of the lesser depreciation and v3.0.

Last edited:
Do you have any tax incentives or big discounts? Otherwise I would get a 2019 model because of lesser the depreciation.

Yep, seems like I have $2.5k coming from MA tax incentive and the $3.75K federal.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm still 50/50, but interested into the actual date of manufacture which I'll likely find out in the next day or so. I'll definitely inquire about a discount, it's white exterior w/black interior which could be great to receive if free.

I have heard they aren't discounting for a 2018 but sure go ahead and ask.

I believe when you were told there would be a many week additional wait for an AWD 2019 version that is likely true. The various versions were each produced over a certain timeframe and then the production line was set up for a different version. For example they are only now starting to talk about producing RWD LR again. I guess whether you accept a 2018 AWD depends on 1) if it matters to you (the prices now have come down quite a bit since it was produced remember, so you're already getting that discount as I see it) or 2) depends on when you really need a new car or 3) how soon you want to be enjoying driving a Tesla!.

I ordered my AWD LR back in June last year and it was a 9/2018 build and delivered 9/23. Don't know how long after that they were producing the AWD LR but I think at least for a month or two. The longer you wait to take delivery also keep in mind the additional Federal Tax credit will keep decreasing so that will be money you will lose out on.

BTW I have a pearl white AWD LR with black premium interior, sport wheels, and EAP. (break out was Model 3 - 35K, LR AWD - 18K, Premium interior - included, Pearl white muti-coat paint - 1,500; 19" wheels - 1,500; and EAP (which then included TACC, AutoSteer, Summons, Auto Park, etc) - 5K for a total of 61K). The same car configured today on their configuror comes out to 53,500 (albeit this is with AP not EAP but most people are very happy with just TACC and AutoSteer with that package). No guarantee that prices after a period of time won't go up on some of the items which we have seen happen.

Last edited:
Even though “production” years are irrelevant in Tesla’s, I’d be hesitant to accept a 2018 Model due to the resale value down the road. Now if they discount it some, sure why not :)

BTW the new car mileage on Teslas is 50 miles. Most cars come in well under that from the factory but the cars do get moved around to different delivery centers when trying to fill orders across the country. If you're getting a car with more than that I think they will offer a little break on that mileage difference.

One other thing to consider in postponing for a 2019 delivery. What will interest rates be if you are financing?

Last edited:
Ordered feb 28th and was instantly assigned a 2018 vin as well. Explained in another thread but I eventually declined after they lied about the mileage and found out it was listed as a "demo" car, that has been sitting outdoors in Ohio through the snow/ice/salt.

I asked several times if they'd offer any incentives to take the 2018, they said no. So now waiting for a 2019. Makes no sense, but won't they be sitting on several 2018's that eventually they're going to have to discount at some point? If they had been honest about the mileage and offered a discount I probably would have taken the 2018, but why should I have to take a hit financially for them not selling a car that's been sitting for 5 months? Pretty bummed about the customer service so far (have had a reservation since 2016 as well).

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I would not accept a 2018 model for resale purposes. They will try to tell you how it makes no difference because of updates but it does. I promise if you look at used cars with the same specs and one says 2018 and one says 2019, you will pay more or get paid more for the 2019 label. I was assigned a vin a couple days ago and it said 2018. I told them I will not accept a 2018, I expect a 2019 and within 30 minutes they changed it to a 2019. I could care less when it was built, I just need it to be a 2019 label for resale purposes. I ended going through hoops regarding pricing but that’s a different story. Just tell them it’s 2019, you only want a 2019 car.

It appears Tesla has been matching new orders with 2018 models. But they're willing to swap it for a 2019 if you complain. Resale would be the only difference between the two. I'd try to ask for a discount on the 2018 model if you're going that route. I know they have been giving one free upgrade for the 2018 models recently- paint, interior, or wheels.

Ok, so if resale value is something that matters to me (it isnt) I should get a 2019.
Here in Mexico is a little different, they are just going to start with the first Model 3 deliveries and I dont live anywhere near Mexico City (Yucatan Peninsula) thats why I just agreed on getting a 2018 in 2 weeks instead of waiting 8 to 10 weeks for a 2019 (I am afraid this could be a lot longer)
Also we dont get any kind of incentives :( Its going to be a really expensive car. Paying 1.3 million pesos (67k usd) for a white AWD with white interiors autopilot + full autonomy.

Reactions: byeLT4 and IdaX
Usually they dont do anything unless you complain. As another member mentioned, they are doing free paint, seatss, and/or wheel upgrades to take an already built 2018 over a non-built 2019.

I placed my order Feb 4 and I got a call saying we have a couple cars available right now with paint upgrades or seat upgrades which would cost no extra for you. The catch was they are 2018 models, so I waited for my 2019 to be built. Which ended up being very lucky because if I had taken it... i would have paid old pricing for a 2018 model.