Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered used 2021 Model Y but build date says late 2020?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After ordering this Model Y, which was advertised as a 2021 (even the VIN says 2021) I realized it was actually assembled in 2020. And of the few pictures they provide on the website (before you actually receive the car) show what looks like the older center console. So I am worried it also will not include other 2021 features such as the heated steering wheel etc.

Delivery is in 1-2 weeks.

Should I:
A) not be paranoid, just wait for delivery, everything that a 2021 MY should have will be there
B) call them ahead of time and make sure it’s an actual 2021? If not, demand they add the new features
C) this is normal and I should just accept what they send me
D) everything in C, then pay them later to add the features I thought I was already paying for since it was advertised as a 2021

Model Year for Tesla is semantics. About the only common thing a model year for Tesla is to other manufactures is they tend to start offering the next model year vehicles around the fall. So having a 2021 Model Y being built in late 2020 is a normal thing.

That said, Tesla makes changes through out the model year( bad and good changes) so you do need to pay attention to when it was built and when the feature you want( such as a heated steering wheel) started showing up in the production run of the car. From a quick google search, looks like January 2021 and forward Y's have a heated steering wheel.

Your best course of action is a little bit of Option B. Call them and ask if the car was equipped with a heated steering wheel. If they say no, then cancel the order and resume the search. There is no demanding them to add it, especially with a used car.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Upvote 0
Model Year for Tesla is semantics. About the only common thing a model year for Tesla is to other manufactures is they tend to start offering the next model year vehicles around the fall. So having a 2021 Model Y being built in late 2020 is a normal thing.

That said, Tesla makes changes through out the model year( bad and good changes) so you do need to pay attention to when it was built and when the feature you want( such as a heated steering wheel) started showing up in the production run of the car. From a quick google search, looks like January 2021 and forward Y's have a heated steering wheel.

Your best course of action is a little bit of Option B. Call them and ask if the car was equipped with a heated steering wheel. If they say no, then cancel the order and resume the search. There is no demanding them to add it, especially with a used car.
Model years are not for “semantics”.

In any case, a vehicle built at the end of 2020 can still be a 2021 model year.

OP, you cannot pay to add features, like a heated steering wheel, after delivery. Make sure the car has all the options you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Model years are not for “semantics”.

In any case, a vehicle built at the end of 2020 can still be a 2021 model year.

OP, you cannot pay to add features, like a heated steering wheel, after delivery. Make sure the car has all the options you are looking for.

What I meant by semantics is model years when it comes to legacy automakers is the change over for when the changes typically happen( new colors, features, etc). You typically won't see Chevy adding heated seats randomly during the 2023 MY run. They will be added during the 2024 MY change over. Tesla on the other hand makes the changes whenever they want. A 2021 Model Y built in November 2020 lacks quite a few things from a 2021 Model Y built in October 2021( bigger battery, biodefense mode, heated steering wheel, etc).

So when it comes to shopping for a Model Y and looking for features, model year does not guarantee the car having said desirable feature. I get there are other benefits to buying a 2022 vs 2021 such as resale value, but for when it comes to Tesla making changes to the car, model year doesn't come into big play.

Upvote 0