Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered yesterday. AP hardware question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order confirms on the 17th and they said to expect the car the first or second week in Oct.

Got a call today saying if I confirm it today instead of waiting, deliver would be late sep.

Would you wait in hopes of getting newer AP hardware? Or try to delay it even further? Or just confirm and get the car ASAP?

Order confirms on the 17th and they said to expect the car the first or second week in Oct.

Got a call today saying if I confirm it today instead of waiting, deliver would be late sep.

Would you wait in hopes of getting newer AP hardware? Or try to delay it even further? Or just confirm and get the car ASAP?
Ask for waived destination fee / delivery

What are your specs?

How bad do you want it early? Short of waiting to 2017 I am not sure if there is much benefit, but I wouldn't confirm early without a benefit. Lots of news could come out in a week.... but then again you are only risking $2500 until pick up.

There have been some people that have "pushed their delivery back" get that offer...

Arguably you could move your delivery to lets say Nov or Jan... and you might get a call anyway to push up and get same offer. Lot of maneuverability in that first week... make sure you get something for forgoing it.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Just reached out to see what they could do.

What are your specs?

How bad do you want it early? Short of waiting to 2017 I am not sure if there is much benefit, but I wouldn't confirm early without a benefit. Lots of news could come out in a week.... but then again you are only risking $2500 until pick up.

S60 AP, Premium, Sunroof, Pearl White

I spend several hours on the 405 each day so my "killer feature" is obviously AP.

There have been some people that have "pushed their delivery back" get that offer...

Arguably you could move your delivery to lets say Nov or Jan... and you might get a call anyway to push up and get same offer. Lot of maneuverability in that first week... make sure you get something for forgoing it.

I was thinking about reaching out to see if they would waive the destination charge if I took an early delivery. Would I contact my DS or OA?

I'd order the car since you can never predict when new features are added. And given today's announcement, it doesn't look like new hardware is coming anytime soon...

Tesla's Autopilot shifts to radars over cameras in safety improvement, Elon Musk says
They also basically just fired their AP hardware vendor. I know a lot of people were optimistic that it would be quickly replaced with the internal designs they're working on, but hardware has a lead time. It'll take awhile to ramp up. You could argue they'd been working on it well before the break with Mobileye, but statements about using their next-generation hardware make me think it was a snap decision based on the outcome of that fatal accident and how Mobileye handled it.

We're all excited for new AP hardware. Maybe I'm alone in this thought, but I don't think it's imminent. Considering the pressure of the next quarter or two to pump out as many vehicles as possible, I wouldn't expect major revisions beyond v8.0 software.

Absolutely take delivery early! Especially if you can get them to waive the destination and doc fee, which has been offered to others already. I doubt any AP hardware is imminent given this recent AP software announcement. And like stated about you are already ahead since you'll get the rear cup holders/USB ports (the ones currently on the X).