Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a 2nd Tesla - should I use a separate account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. We already own a MYLR, about to order a 2nd. The wife will get the current car and I'll get either a MYLR or MYP.

After reading existing posts, I'm still confused about whether to use a 2nd account for ordering the 2nd car. We will both want to see both cars in our apps. We'll both drive each others cars.

So what's the benefit of people using two accounts to place their orders? Should I just order the 2nd car from my existing account?

Thanks

Same account, that way you have both cars in the app and can switch between them easily.

Probably the only reason anyone would use a separate account would be so it's easier to transfer (sell) the reservation to someone else before taking delivery - you would just give them the entire account.

• Helpful
Reactions: VegasMYP
Hey folks. We already own a MYLR, about to order a 2nd. The wife will get the current car and I'll get either a MYLR or MYP.

After reading existing posts, I'm still confused about whether to use a 2nd account for ordering the 2nd car. We will both want to see both cars in our apps. We'll both drive each others cars.

So what's the benefit of people using two accounts to place their orders? Should I just order the 2nd car from my existing account?

Thanks
You can have separate accounts and still access both vehicles on the Tesla app. This is what my wife and I do and it works great. Just swipe left or right at the top level to switch between cars. Here's an extensive post from March 2020 on the topic, including reasons why you may want to have separate accounts. 2nd phone app user: Same Tesla account or separate?

Reactions: newberry94005

Thanks

The only reason to use a separate account would be if you wanted to try to sell the reservation. There is no other technical reason to have separate accounts. Note that tesla does not technically allow reservation transfers, which is why people recommend having the car on a separate account you can "give away".

If your not trying to do that, there is no other technical reason to have separate accounts. There could be other, non technical reasons. You can have both cars show up in both accounts if you want, but there isnt any technical reason to separate them.