Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a charger before the vehicle Question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of getting the wall charger installed by the end of the year (apparently there is a tax credit for 2020), but may wait until early next year to order the car. Is there any problem in doing this? Or does the charger need to be initialized or set up in a certain period of time? Thanks for the replies in advance.

There is no problem in terms of getting your tax credit, but you do loose a few months on your warranty for the charger. That can be a big deal as it is only a 12 month warranty and any manufacturing defects will show up in that time.

I don't know the laws, but I've never heard of such a thing as requiring that the charger be used by a certain deadline. Its just not feasible to document.

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316
There is no problem in terms of getting your tax credit, but you do loose a few months on your warranty for the charger. That can be a big deal as it is only a 12 month warranty and any manufacturing defects will show up in that time.

I don't know the laws, but I've never heard of such a thing as requiring that the charger be used by a certain deadline. Its just not feasible to document.

It looks like the wall charger is warranted for 48 months unless it’s a commercial install.
2BD88643-CA6C-47BC-B0BD-EE84BC8C24B3.jpeg