TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ordering a Model 3 as an existing owner

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Jhall118, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

Hi guys,

My first model S was totaled out about a year ago. Can I still order a Model 3 with the same email and cut in line?

When I log into the account, I no longer see the car there (both through the app and the website).

Anyone know?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Kind of doubt it, but call Tesla and find out.

3. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

#3 melindav, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    The march 21 blog notes current owners will get priority, nothing on former owners.
    "In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region."
    ETA: so I missed the fact that you still have the car, but with a totaled title... that adds a level of grey to it ;)

4. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Does that still apply if you reserve model 3 first, then purchase model s/x and take delivery in January?

5. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

No one knows for sure, the way it is worded it could be taken either way but most people do think that buying an S or X after you reserve your M3 would get you a bump.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It seems possible that doing as you describe could move your Model 3 reservation higher up in the queue but no one outside of the people at Tesla who control the Model 3 order process would know for sure. We are all just guessing.

7. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

I certainly hope so, considering I may miss that tax incentive if I reserved now

8. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

I'm not sure spending $66k+ on a car now is a logical reason to save $7,500 on a $35k+ car in the future

9. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Why is the OP a "former owner"? If a car was bought, they are a Tesla owner. Just because they will not be coming in for service annually with the totaled car doesn't mean they should be treated differently. How would Tesla even know that the car is totaled unless they processed the towing details and actually marked it somehow in the database to say they know it was totaled. Why would a manufacturer ever need to know or care to know about a totaled car - unless it is linked to cancellation and pro-rating a refund of a four-year annual service contract. I would hope they can offer the OP same-status as a current Tesla owner. Every "former owner" helped grow the company and is indeed just as valuable as current owners.

I wonder if a CPO buyer today is "more current a Tesla owner" than the OP is for buying new earlier in the cycle? Anyone who has ever bought a Tesla (new or CPO) should be treated the same.

10. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

I hope you know that not all higher-end car buyers do so for rational reasons :)

11. S3XY

S3XY Member

It really shouldn't matter if you still own one. The reason they are given priority is as a thank you for their support of Tesla, i.e. having purchased one. The fact that they don't still own it shouldn't matter. The profits from that sale have already been used to develop the M3.